These Foots Were Made For Walkin’

September 11, 2006

We interrupt this week of spectacular HBM programming (more Gloria Steinem! random crizzap about New York! the long-awaited eros post that will commemorate WonderBaby’s 10-month birthday!) to bring you the following news flash:

WonderBaby walks.

WONDERBABY WALKS.

Hell YEAH it’s blurry. She’s moving. Pretty fucking fast, too.

I think that she actually started walking a month ago, but I don’t know know how to evaluate these things. Is it walking when it’s one upright step? Two? Three? When it’s turbo-cruising at high speeds along any available furniture, animal or pant-leg? When it involves scaling walls?

Speed is reduced for purposes of climbing. The faint-hearted mother finds such baby-scale mountaineering nonetheless alarming.

You’d think that witnessing WonderBaby’s dance program would have prepared me for the full extent of her physical determination and prowess. That, and the fact that she’s been scaling her baby gates since 8 and half months.

Sadly, no. I was not prepared.

It all surprises me. Even the things that I think I am expecting – these things surprise me. It all surprises me.

Could someone tell me, please, when it is exactly that motherhood will stop feeling so consistently startling?

*********

I’m expecting Gloria Steinem’s response to our questions (yes! I snuck in more than one!) sometime this week. Likely after the launch of Greenstone Media tomorrow evening, which I am (omigodpinchme!) attending. In New York. City. With Liz. (Yes, you will hear all about it. Don’t you doubt it for a minute.) When I get Gloria’s response to our questions I’ll post that response, along with your other questions, which will, I hope, provoke much stimulating and fist-waving discussion.

Sometime after the weekend I’ll be doing a separate post with a list of all of your Call to Action posts. All of which are beyond wonderful. Please keep sending links. And remember that your calls-to-action needn’t focus upon conventional ’causes:’ if your family is your cause, write about that and about how you feel that makes a difference. If you feel that the best action is the sort that involves always saying please and thank you and being neighborly and helping the elderly across the street, write about that. The idea is to see how well we can demonstrate the force of writing as an impetus or inspiration to action. What that action is, exactly, doesn’t matter so much. If it makes a difference, makes the world a better place, it counts. So do, please, write about it, and tell others why they should consider doing it too.

In the meantime, to see such action in action, please visit the The 2,996 Project - an online tribute to the fallen of 9/11. Truly testament to the power of community and language.

**********

My blog-neighborliness has been sorely lacking lo these last few days, and can be expected to remain lackluster until I get back from NYC at the end of the week. So please forgive me if you haven’t seen me around. I’ll be back on my rounds as soon as my head stops spinning.

Mom101 September 11, 2006 at 10:08 pm

Hooray for wonderbaby!

Hooray for visiting New York! You don’t expect a clean house or anything, do you?

Mother Bumper September 11, 2006 at 10:09 pm

OMG!!!!!!! WonderBaby WALKS! I almost woke Bumper up to tell her but I held myself back. I’ll wait until after breakfast. I feel for you. I really do. You are in so much trouble (oh wait. I shouldn’t say that.) I mean: I’m here for you and save a seat for me because I’ll be in the same boat really freakin’ soon.

Have a fantastic time in NYC. Can’t wait to hear all about it.

Chag September 11, 2006 at 10:21 pm

Congrats on the walking! Hope you’re well-rested.

DD September 11, 2006 at 10:23 pm

When do these developments stop being startling?

Um, right around…

NEVER.

Waya September 11, 2006 at 10:50 pm

I can’t believe she’s walking already! You are so in trouble. Put on your heelies!! Enjoy NYC!

Her Bad Mother September 11, 2006 at 11:05 pm

Um, Mom-101? Clean house? Do you READ this blog? My own house hasn’t been clean since sometime last year, and even then, it wasn’t all that clean. I won’t be able to sleep at your place if it’s clean.

Not that there’ll be much sleeping. What with the pillow-fights and general romping and all. We’re doing that, right?

mad_hatter September 11, 2006 at 11:13 pm

Yeah Wonder Baby!!! Walk-on!

Here is my somewhat belated and, sorry to say, extremely cynical post on my cause:

Haley-O September 11, 2006 at 11:52 pm

Congrats on WALKING! So exciting! The monkey’s 13 months and just started pulling herself up! Woot! :) She has hitherto had no desire to stand, so…progress!

My blog neighbourliness has been lacking, too, since the new blog. So little time! Have a great time in NYC!

Melissa September 12, 2006 at 12:45 am

HBM, honey I’m really sorry to tell you, but motherhood never stops being startling. At least not after almost five years. Shit…I can’t believe I wrote those words five years. Ok, need to go cry now. :)

YAY for wonderbaby. Have fun in NYC.

Lady M September 12, 2006 at 1:09 am

Woo-hoo, walking! Congrats to WonderBaby and good-luck to you.

We wrapped a SuperYard (plastic fence) around our fireplace because there was no way to childproof that thing, and every week, something else goes behind the fence too. Lamps, the electric fan, every broom in the house. The boy likes to explore.

I’m heading to NY in a week – sorry to miss you!

Mommy off the Record September 12, 2006 at 2:05 am

Yahoo! Congrats WonderBaby!! Now beings a whole new set of adventures…

Jozet September 12, 2006 at 6:56 am

Go Wonder Baby!

The whole wide world awaits your wonderful feet!

Mamalooper September 12, 2006 at 7:17 am

NYC – wahhhhh….wanna be there tooooo…

Hey, have a great time! Looking forward to hearing about it.

And huzzah to Wonderbaby and her walking feats. Monkeygirl is a month behind her in age and when I tell her about Wonderbaby walking, I know she will be doing her best to catch up.

chichimama September 12, 2006 at 7:37 am

Yippee on the walking!!! And have fun in NYC!

Mrs. Chicky September 12, 2006 at 8:15 am

Walking already? I guess I shouldn’t expect anything less from the future ruler of the world. Enjoy the chase!

Enjoy NY! And Gloria! And hanging out with Liz! I’m a little worried for those New Yorkers who have no idea what’s about to hit them.

Christina September 12, 2006 at 8:56 am

Yay for walking! I have to second the idea of wrapping a Superyard around any areas you need to block off. We used ours to block off the computer and the TV stand.

Have fun in NYC!

lynsalyns September 12, 2006 at 9:18 am

Walking is the most wonderful terrible thing that can ever happen. YAY wonderbaby!

And I am jealous of you. I can admit it. I’m even going to blog about it. Have fun in NYC!

Laural Dawn September 12, 2006 at 9:26 am

You’re life is so exciting! I’m happy for you!
    You know what they say about walking? When they walk they sleep more. It was true for us. As soon as Matt started to walk he slept through the night. I loved it.
    Enjoy NY.

mothergoosemouse September 12, 2006 at 9:31 am

Yay! For WB and for you! Enjoy New York – you don’t need me to tell you I’m envious, because I think about that city every single day.

Stacy September 12, 2006 at 9:38 am

Yeah Wonderbaby! You might want to get Boo Bunny ready for all those nasty forehead bruises to come.

TB September 12, 2006 at 9:39 am

I saw Jane Fonda interviewed this morning about Greenstone. It sounds like the launch party will be incredible and filled with strong women in media. Have a great time!

TC September 12, 2006 at 9:43 am

Way to go Little One!!

My baby is four and motherhood is still startling for me.

crazymumma September 12, 2006 at 10:25 am

Congrats on her finding her legs, your lower back will thank you.

PS….Motherhood is like being a deer caught in the headlights. All the time.

sunshine scribe September 12, 2006 at 10:39 am

Yay Wonderbaby!!!

Have a wonderful time in New York. Can’t wait to hear all the details :)

penelopeto September 12, 2006 at 11:44 am

Congrats to wonderbaby. Get your rest – you’ll need it.

Jenn September 12, 2006 at 12:04 pm

YAY Wonderbaby!!! It’ll be good and bad. Good you don’t have to carry her as much…..bad you now have to RUN after her faster!

Hope your NYC trip is going well!

wordgirl September 12, 2006 at 12:08 pm

Wonderbaby is WALKING??? Quick! Hide the car keys! HIDE THE CAR KEYS!!!!!

Annie, The Evil Queen September 12, 2006 at 1:07 pm

She is blazing fast! Welcome to my world of chase and grab. Sam is so much happier mobile. But he keeps me very busy. There will be no stopping the Wonderbaby now. Soon enough she’ll be making her own protest signs and organizing marches to assume her rightful position as master of the universe.

virtualsprite September 12, 2006 at 3:50 pm

Hooray for Wonderbaby! The transformation to bipedal is definitely a landmark evolutionary moment. How fun for you! A whole new era of babyproofing. Enjoy!

Mother Bumper September 12, 2006 at 10:12 pm
    rhonda September 12, 2006 at 11:27 pm

You will forever be startled & amazed by wonderbaby… maybe not as consistantly as the first year, but it never ends.
    And that’s a good thing!

Granny September 13, 2006 at 9:08 am

That should certainly keep you busy.

I’ll be back with a link to one of my posts on action. I’m ashamed to admit I remembered reading your post but couldn’t remember who wrote it.

Anyhow, it’s not much but it’s something.

Granny September 13, 2006 at 9:11 am
    Sober In the City September 13, 2006 at 9:57 am

It was such a pleasure to meet you last night. And I must admit that your baby is beautiful. I look forward to following your Canadian exploits… and I especially look forward to our next opportunity to meet in person. You are truly inspiring!

Elizabeth September 13, 2006 at 10:33 am

Isn’t it amazing how someone so tiny can nevertheless balance themselves on their teeny legs and feet and then propel themselves forward? Kaitlyn is just about to start cruising around the coffee table, which means I can no longer KEEP anything on the coffee table lest it be ripped to shreds. But YAY!

Sigh…jealous of you and Mom101′s upcoming pillow fighting. I don’t care if her house is clean or not, I want PHOTOS PLEASE!

Angel Baby September 13, 2006 at 2:27 pm

You have the best blog- always entertaining and thought provoking at the same time.

Thanks for blogging exactly the way you do!

I can’t wait to hear about your trip…

something blue September 13, 2006 at 3:26 pm

Congrats to the wondrous WonderBaby. You go girl! See your mom’s expression as she chases you? That’s priceless and it makes you want to run, right? No, no, I’m not encouraging.

jen September 13, 2006 at 3:51 pm

Hey there Bad,
    Here’s my addition. Wasn’t sure where to leave it, so you are getting it times two.
    Cheers,
    Jen

nomotherearth September 13, 2006 at 4:07 pm

Walking is exciting, no? We dropped off The Boy at his grandparents for the afternoon while we snuck away for a movie. He wasn’t walking when we left, but was motoring when we got back. Crazy stuff!

I am working on my Call to Action now (got sidetracked by school crap). Where, exactly, should I send the link? The newbie is confused.

Anonymous September 13, 2006 at 11:05 pm

I really like your blog and your attitude about things.

Anonymous September 14, 2006 at 12:44 am

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn’t
    quite find what I was looking for. I’m looking for
    different ways to earn money… I did find this though…
    a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
    I made over $900 last month having fun!
    make extra money

Anonymous September 14, 2006 at 1:09 am

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn’t
    quite find what I was looking for. I’m looking for
    different ways to earn money… I did find this though…
    a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
    I made over $900 last month having fun!
    make extra money

Anonymous September 14, 2006 at 1:40 am

Read This Now

I found a great site on goalsetting.If you want to change your life or learn about goalsetting and find the answers to other self help questions. Visit http://purposesetting.com/sitemap_1.html

Anonymous September 14, 2006 at 1:57 am

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn’t
    quite find what I was looking for. I’m looking for
    different ways to earn money… I did find this though…
    a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
    I made over $900 last month having fun!
    make extra money

nikki September 14, 2006 at 9:31 am

wonderbaby will be asking for the car keys next!

tania (urban_mommy) September 14, 2006 at 9:39 am

My Call to Action post is up. Finally!

gingajoy September 14, 2006 at 10:46 am

walking?? it’s all over lady.

Gloria Steinem? Call to Action??

I am SORELY out of the loop. I have much to catch up on, CLEARLY. And you are going to NYC, and wil see LIZ? give her a tongue kiss for me.

WHOO HOO! all this is tres exciting!

Kristen September 14, 2006 at 11:30 am

How cool. Mine took FOREVER to walk, but was talking early. The walking is much scarier- I was behind her every second- padding this, pillowing that. LOL.

something blue September 14, 2006 at 12:27 pm

My call to action post is up.

Can’t wait to hear about NY!

Occidental Girl September 14, 2006 at 12:47 pm

I know what you mean about asking when those first steps really count as walking? I have no idea. Felt a little inept at not knowing, too.

However, the fact of the matter is, your baby’s walking….oh my god!