Because The Year Just Wouldn’t Have Been Complete Without A Pestilence

December 31, 2006

What Santa brought WonderBaby this year:

Pox. Awesome.

At least he waited until after we had flown across the country and driven four hours into the hinterland of British Columbia to spring it on her. That was nice. She would have preferred a nice tricycle or a helicopter or a small developing country to rule over with an iron pacifier, but whatever. Pestilence is cool, too.

(We’ve missed you. We’ll be back online in a day or two, once we’re home and the plague has receded.

Happy New Year.)

Gidge December 31, 2006 at 10:05 pm

OH NO! I didn’t even know anyone GOT Chicken Pox anymore now that they have the vaccine!

POOR WONDERBABY!

Oh, The Joys December 31, 2006 at 10:18 pm

Oh how awful! That photo just makes me feel so sorry for WonderBaby (and YOU!) Ugh.

I hope she mends quickly.

Happy New Year. (Yeah, right.)

OTJ

Jezer December 31, 2006 at 10:54 pm

Oh, that poor beautiful (even covered in the pox) girl. Please excuse my Southern twang and know that I sincerely mean this when I say, “Bless her darlin’ heart.”

And yours too.

Isn’t a pestilence on the eve of a new year considered good luck in some cultures? No, really, it MUST be.

Mouse December 31, 2006 at 11:22 pm

Poor, poor thing. And poor, poor you. I imagine an itching child who doesn’t understand that it’s better not to scratch is a little difficult to handle.

Ring in the new year with lots of baking soda baths!

Binkytown December 31, 2006 at 11:23 pm

Bloody hell. That picture of wonderbaby is too much! Poor dear. At least you can cross that off the list of shitty things Santa could bring her next year right?

Izzy December 31, 2006 at 11:53 pm

Damn! If my calculations are correct, she’s just a month or two shy of getting her first dose of the Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine.

Poor Wonderbaby! Give her cyberhug from a friend in Florida. Hope she doesn’t itch too badly.

And Happy New Year (said sincerely but with a fair amount of irony)

Naomi (Urban Mummy) January 1, 2007 at 12:00 am

Poor thing! Too bad you are all the way west…I’d love to expose my son so he gets it over with! (not doing the vaccine)

Feel better, and happy travels!

MotherBumper January 1, 2007 at 12:08 am

Oh sweet something… how can she look so cute when in such discomfort? Only WB could pull that off. Give her hugs from me and B. So ummm… Happy New Year?

Awesome Mom January 1, 2007 at 12:09 am

Awww poor kiddo! I hope that she gets better soon!

Lara January 1, 2007 at 12:12 am

oh dear! maybe you’ll feel better to know that when i was two, i caught chicken pox from my five-year-old sister, so my mom had to take care of two of us at the same time. still don’t feel better? how about this – she caught it too. my dad moved out for two weeks to avoid the plague. so it could be worse!

(also, you can ignore the email i sent about the button – i got it already.)

happy new year to you and the whole her bad family! :)

daysgoby January 1, 2007 at 12:23 am

Oh dear God – poor thing! And your baby, too!

She’s so sweet.

My son also had the pox a month before his vaccination – I can tell you there is nothing worse than a sobbing toddler who doesn’t understand why everything hurts and itches and why it’s not okay to scratch.

Baking soda will be your friend. Buy huge boxes in the bulk aisle and raid the dollar store for new tub toys. Pour in twice as much baking soda as you’d think you’d need and keep her in till she’s pruny.

Good luck, honey!

SUEB0B January 1, 2007 at 12:24 am

Poor baby girl. That look is so perfectly distressed that they should put it in the dictionary.

Suz January 1, 2007 at 12:25 am

Oh…sad baby. I hope that she feels better soon.

nomotherearth January 1, 2007 at 12:51 am

Poor baby! The Boy has missed this…so far…but I’m sure it will happen soon. Can’t wait – looks like a whole lot of fun ;-) . Hope WonderBaby feels better soon – and Happy New Year! We’ve missed you.

susan January 1, 2007 at 12:59 am

Oh, poor little one! We’re sending you lots and lots of anti-itch wishes right now and hoping that the New Year holds much, much better things in store for all of you!

Mad Hatter January 1, 2007 at 1:24 am

That Sucks. Like Capital “S” sucks. That really really sucks. Poor thing.

Mrs. Chicken January 1, 2007 at 1:44 am

Oh my, that poor wee baby girl! I hope she gets well swiftly.

crazymumma January 1, 2007 at 2:01 am

oh that poor little bundle. she will have an awesome resistance however…….how on earth did she get it tho? I finally caved and gave my girls the vaccine because they were never exposed! poor sweet thing…..

mo-wo January 1, 2007 at 2:30 am

Awww baby girl. Lucky your Mommy has a million + one homeopaths and naturopaths and acupuncturists to dip you in while you ‘vacation’ here.. then again.

aww poor baby girl one more for the immune system. doctor mo-wo prescribes a nice bottle of courvoissier for mum, hey.

something blue January 1, 2007 at 3:12 am

I think she probably asked for Camilla the Chicken not the Pox. (hugs)

Happy New Year!

owlhaven January 1, 2007 at 4:02 am

feel better soon, sweetie!!

Mary

Lena January 1, 2007 at 4:33 am

Nooo. That FACE!

Kim January 1, 2007 at 7:28 am

Awww, that is awful – and only made worse by that poor sad face. Hope all is OK.

IAI January 1, 2007 at 8:22 am

A pox on those pox!
    Poor Wonderbaby and poor YOU! Socks on hands and oatmeal baths … good luck!

Janet a.k.a. "Wonder Mom" January 1, 2007 at 9:25 am

Aw Jeez. I’m sorry Wonderbaby!!!!

You are still absolutely adorable even with the pox.

metro mama January 1, 2007 at 9:52 am

Oh, no. May 2007 bring you guys much better things (you deserve them).

chichimama January 1, 2007 at 9:54 am

Poor Wonder Baby! And poor you!

K January 1, 2007 at 10:52 am

oh for god sakes.

girl.

chelle January 1, 2007 at 10:58 am

Oh No! Wishing a speedy recovery!

Happy New Year!

Sandra January 1, 2007 at 11:14 am

What?! Oh no. You’re definately up for a good 2007. Hoping that cute plagued girl is well soon.

Jeff January 1, 2007 at 12:03 pm

Poor Wonderbaby.

Hopefully it won’t be too rough on her. (And please do post and let us know whether or not you get some sadistic parents requesting play-dates so they can “share” the pox… I always find that strange.)

Happy New Year.

Momish January 1, 2007 at 12:58 pm

Oh, how awful. But, it is just terrible of me to love that photo even though she is obviously very unhappy and miserable. Yet, how she shines in her misery! A wonderbaby indeed! Hoping you all have a speedy recovery.

Amanda January 1, 2007 at 1:28 pm

Poor sweetheart. Oh my goodness, I feel for her and you! That is awful and you aren’t even in the comfort of your own home. Hope she starts to feel better very soon. I know she is young, but I wonder if you drew her a picture of herself (with pox too) and taught her to itch the picture instead of her body. I know that this has worked in the past for other children to prevent scars…good luck!

mamatulip January 1, 2007 at 1:29 pm

Oh, that picture has me clasping my hand to my mouth and wanting to reach into the computer to hug her. Poor Wonderbaby.

And poor you.

Hoping the new year brings the end of the pox, fast.

bubandpie January 1, 2007 at 1:43 pm

Well, the up side is that Wonderbaby’s immunity will likely be stronger than what she would get from the vaccine AND your chance of getting rickets just plummeted.

But that face! That face!

jen January 1, 2007 at 2:00 pm

oh. no. that face.

that face is out of this world.

so sorry for her and you.

Mrs. Chicky January 1, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Can you hear that? It’s the sound of many, many mothers wanting to comfort your poor child. And you. After this I think you need some comforting, too.

I can’t look at that picture of Wonderbaby any longer, it is breaking my heart!

julia January 1, 2007 at 3:17 pm

Oh, poor WonderBaby! I think you need to have a word or twelve with Santa.

Here’s to an itch-free trip home.

Becky January 1, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Out, damn pox.

Happy New Year!

Stacy January 1, 2007 at 3:31 pm

Poor Wonderbaby!

The good news is- at least she’s too young to obsessively pick at the scabs and get pox scars for life.

Happy New Year!

kittenpie January 1, 2007 at 3:48 pm

Oh poor little thing! And you too, like things weren’t enough already! I can see she’s being bathed in calamine and baking soda there…

Elizabeth January 1, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Oh, that poor sweetie! I can only imagine how miserable you must all feel at the Wonderbaby household. I hope she gets over it soon.

Happy New Year!

T. January 1, 2007 at 4:13 pm

Sheesh, Wonderbaby even rox the pox!

Poor thing, must be hard to be so damn cute. I sincerely hope she heals swiftly and without any scars.

Happy new year to each of you. May this be the last bout of pestilence you face this year.

Pendullum January 1, 2007 at 4:54 pm

What apicture of misery….
    Poster Baby for Chicken Pox

Poor Baby, Poor You…

Wishing you a minor quarantine period over the holidays…

Happy New Year to you too!

V-Grrrl January 1, 2007 at 5:10 pm

Oh no. And it looks like she got a really GREAT case of them. So sorry for her and you.

Lady M January 1, 2007 at 6:49 pm

Poor baby! There never is a good time, is there. My husband and I have small matching chicken pox scars on our hips. Maybe we were separated in a earlier life. Sending healing wishes!

Angela January 1, 2007 at 7:25 pm

That poor, little, sad and woebegone face….I am so sorry. Chickenpox, hate it, hate it, hate it! I got it when I was 21 years old. WTF!!

I hope your little girl is feeling much better now.

Christina January 1, 2007 at 7:53 pm

Oh no! That look on her face is heartbreaking – like she doesn’t understand why she itches so much and feels so lousy. Poor thing.

At least getting them this early, she will have less risk of scars. Although she’ll hate it in elementary school when all the other kids get time off of school for chicken pox and she’ll be immune.

Lisa b January 1, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Unbelievable. Santa is so evil.
    She looks so sad but we all know it is the mothers who suffer the most in times of pestilence.
    Safe trip home

Kyla January 1, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Oh no!! First she gets that orange….and now Santa gives her the Pox. Poor Wonderbaby!!