Why I Will Be Receiving A Small Lump Of Coal On Xmas Morning

December 15, 2006

We interrupt this week’s ongoing tidings of comfort and joy to bring you this moment of yuletide trauma:

Does she weep because her mother has abandoned her to the clutches of a fat, bearded old man in a stupid outfit, or because she is being forced to endure tacky white leather furniture in a Santa Castle that looks like the lobby of a Motel 6 in Vegas? You decide.

********

If you would prefer to have your spirits lifted and your heart tugged, you can find my sister’s beautiful note of thanks to you all for having such big hearts HERE.

*********

You still have all weekend to bid raffle tickets over at Her Bad Auction. You didn’t know that spreading the love was such fun, did you? (And, again, do let me know if you have written a post about it or put up a button. I want to thank everyone properly.)

Her Bad Auction

Laural Dawn December 15, 2006 at 9:00 pm

I’m so glad you got the picture. That is hilarious. I’m not sure which is funnier – her screaming or the grimace on Santa’s face.
    Adorable!

Mom101 December 15, 2006 at 9:17 pm

Ha, you and Metrodad have some notes to compare. These are always the best photos anyway – smiling kid on santa’s lap? Feh. Cliche.

Mamalooper December 15, 2006 at 9:30 pm

That is soooo cute! There’s no vanilla about Wondergirl – no reading between the lines required.

So Wondergirl, what do you REALLY think about Santa????

DD December 15, 2006 at 9:33 pm

Maybe Santa is jealous of her minx trimmed jeans in the very fashionable au natural color.

I agree: everyone enjoys these pictures (except the children when you are showing them to the new boyfriend when she’s 16).

Lisa b December 15, 2006 at 9:34 pm

That’s a classic. I have a similar shot from last year but this year K was totally into santa.
    Better luck next year?

chelle December 15, 2006 at 9:37 pm

awwww every kid goes through it!

Next year will be better!

Pattie December 15, 2006 at 9:41 pm

Ooooohhhhhhh!!! Poor little darling! :)
    At least she has some very stylin’ jeans on! Wow, I want them for myself…sorry, I digress….

I have not one pic of any of my kids on Santa’s lap. Why? Because they cried just at the SIGHT of the man, never mind getting close enough to touch him….

Mocha December 15, 2006 at 10:37 pm

I’d like an 8×10 glossy, please?

How many times do I have to pronounce my love for you? One hundred? I think I’m on my way.

I love you.

101.

SUEB0B December 15, 2006 at 10:42 pm

Poor santa. He looks like a man whose hearing and/or feelings are far too sensitive for that job.

T. December 15, 2006 at 10:48 pm

No wonder I love Wonderbaby so much. Not only does she rock the hats, but she looks just like my Fric did when I took her for her first Santa visit.

And last Santa visit, I might add.

And while your Santa Castle might resemble Motel 6, my Santa looked like a pedophile off of America’s Most Wanted.

These are memories I will cherish forever…

Naomi (Urban Mummy) December 15, 2006 at 11:11 pm

LOVE the santa photo! So much more fun than the standard fare!!

Mrs. Chicky December 15, 2006 at 11:20 pm

Love it! I promise, she will love it when she’s old enough to know better.

That picture just sealed the deal. This weekend I am introducing Chicky to Santa, tears be damned.

K December 16, 2006 at 12:16 am

Is it wrong that that picture makes me laugh hysterically?

Lady M December 16, 2006 at 1:28 am

Oh, excellent. Love the expression and the pants.

We didn’t even try to find Santa this year.

Kristin December 16, 2006 at 1:36 am

But has she noticed her fabulous pants? No one who wears such awesome pants should ever be sad!

Actually, I constantly wonder how Santa, who scares the hell out of all children, remains in such demand…

Alex Elliot December 16, 2006 at 2:37 am

We have one like that with my older son and the Easter Bunny! I have an auction button up on my blog. Best of luck!

Melissa December 16, 2006 at 2:46 am

Ha, that looks like our picture from last year. It’s funny that some kids freak and others love it.

mo-wo December 16, 2006 at 3:12 am

it IS the sofa/chair.. what is up with that!

sunshine scribe December 16, 2006 at 10:17 am

Vegas Santa?!? No wonder she cried. But she’s still damn cute even in distress.

Gidge December 16, 2006 at 10:31 am

At least your dad didn’t decide he wanted to be in the picture with his grandbaby. And at least it wasn’t the day that despite your protests he left the house wearing too tight sweatpants so that now you have a picture of your Dad’s junk perfectly accentuated by his sweats in addition to your baby crying on Santa’s lap.
    Not that I’m bitter.

kittenpie December 16, 2006 at 11:33 am

I love this, how she looks so angry (despite her sassy fur-trimmed pants!) and Santa just looks like, “Oh, great, another one. It’s been like this all freaking day and I need a drink.”

And HBM? I was hoping those items would speak other people’s language too so they can get lots of bidding action!

Kyla December 16, 2006 at 2:23 pm

We’re going to attempt this on Monday, hopefully there won’t be too much of a crowd. I’m thinking KayTar isn’t going to care for it much, she’ll probably be about as happy as WonderBaby. *lol*

Vegas Santa? The craziness!

metro mama December 16, 2006 at 3:07 pm

Love it!

You want to know something funny? The photo with Santa didn’t even occur to me until I saw you and Metro Dad today. Judging from Peanut and WonderBaby, I better get the idea out of my mind.

urban-urchin December 16, 2006 at 3:29 pm

awesome! when my oldest was 2 we waited in line to see santa for an hour only to have her scream at the top of her lungs and run away. the next year she still wanted to see him, but not sit on his lap.. it wan’t until 4 that she would sit on his lap again…

MommyWithAttitude December 16, 2006 at 5:34 pm

Oh how I love these pictures! Every time I see them I’m filled with regret that I neglected to traumatize my own children in this way… what was I thinking????

ewe are here December 16, 2006 at 6:02 pm

Poor Wonderbaby! But such a hysterical picture for you to hang on to! heh heh

Poor Santa looks like he could use a strong drink. Or two. Can you even imagine doing this all day?

Oh, and love WB’s pants. Very chic.

kim December 16, 2006 at 6:48 pm

fantastic! you guys will get many laughs together with that picture over the years :) i havent braved the santa scene with BT yet … i dont think there is an elf or santa alive thats ready for him to be honest!
    im sorry i wasnt in time to contribute to the auction myself …but i had a chance to do my post finally and please pass along big hugs and christmas wishes to all of your family and especially Tanner.

braiding mommy December 16, 2006 at 6:54 pm

I love it – what a memory!

Granny December 16, 2006 at 7:27 pm

I put up the link to HBA today. Sorry to be so late but perhaps you’ll pick up a few more people.

Best wishes – Muscular Dystrophy runs through my sons’ dad/s family. I know all too well what it can do.

Ann

Granny December 16, 2006 at 7:29 pm

That link doesn’t work.

Trying Again

No matter – the important thing was to get in there – not the post itself.

Beck December 16, 2006 at 8:18 pm

Excellent.
    My oldest daughter sat on Santa’s lap for the first time in her life this year. She’s seven. I have many, many photos of her weeping and running away from Santa…

Glennia December 16, 2006 at 9:31 pm

Love the photo, but especially the fur-trimmed pants. Wondergirl is a fashion-forward little tot, isn’t she. Love the droopy wreath thingie in the background, too. That just screams “Christmas” to me.

scribbit December 17, 2006 at 12:23 am

I can’t decide if it’s pathetic and heart-wrenching or just really funny and cute but I love the picture.

Elizabeth December 17, 2006 at 1:25 am

Is it wrong that I still think she’s adorable even though she’s crying so hard she’s turning red? I only have one photo of Nathan on Santa’s lap, taken the year he turned one. After that, he became terrified of anyone in any kind of costume (Chuck E. Cheese, the Mickey Mouse who we stood in line for two hours at Disney World to see, etc.) This year I’m hoping to get all three of them in a photo with Santa, with hopefully no crying.

Crunchy Carpets December 17, 2006 at 2:07 pm

Being that last year I had to sit with Caity…we haven’t done the photos yet.

She wanted nothing to do with him at the breakfast either.

I am TRYING to bid on things at the Auction…but Paypal and I are having a bit of a war right now.

Fingers crossed.

Amy Jo December 17, 2006 at 4:30 pm

At least Wonder Baby has some kicky boots!

I have a button and post over at the Cheese Party, but you’ve been there already, so you probably know that!

I got my bids in yesterday!

mamatulip December 17, 2006 at 4:32 pm

Oh, that is priceless. I love it when parents get pictures like that — it truly does capture the essence of parenting.

Our Christmas card last year was of Julia and Oliver infront of a festive holiday backdrop, cuddled into one another, screaming their bloody heads off.

Lizzy December 17, 2006 at 7:45 pm

Oh. My. God. That picture is amazing. Truly priceless.

Someday, WonderBaby will either laugh very hard or cry even harder!

Henry was entirely perplexed by his meeting with Santa. Next year? I’m sure he’ll wail. I’m considering myself warned.

Her Bad Mother December 17, 2006 at 8:32 pm

I know – it’s totally incomprehensible how someone with such great pants could be sad. I tried to explain this to her, but she wasn’t having it.

crazymumma December 17, 2006 at 11:32 pm

My girls have NEVER gone remotely close to santa. I love that shot. Sadly, WB does not,at this point see the humour, the complete irony of the moment. But we do, and we love her all the more for it.

izzy December 18, 2006 at 2:19 am

lol…We have a couple shots like that lurking around in some photo envelope. It’s like a parenting rite of passage.

But seriously, where did you find this particular Santa and his interior design-challenged lair? Because it really does look like a Motel 6 lobby in Vegas…rofl

Kristi December 18, 2006 at 2:32 am

LOOK AT HIS BIG WHITE CLAWS!!! HE’S MAULING HER!!!!! Santa Claws aside, tee hee, this is the best Santa picture everrrr. Everrrrr.

Jenn December 18, 2006 at 9:47 am

too cute!!!!

(from a new reader who bid what little she could in the auction!)

Elleoz December 18, 2006 at 12:19 pm

Love Love LOVE the picture. My fave pics of my kids are the ones that show them upset. Reminds me that the good times are that much sweeter.

I wanted to say that you are doing for your nephew is so amazing. I can’t wait to see who won what.

Happy Click & Comment Monday!

Her Bad Mother December 18, 2006 at 12:29 pm

Thanks Elleoz! But I can’t take credit for the auction – it was the brainchild of Kristen of Motherhood Uncensored and Julie of Mothergoosemouse (helped out by all manner of awesome blogger firends, listed over at the auction site!)

nomotherearth December 18, 2006 at 12:40 pm

Love it! The Boy looked just as unhappy last year. I didn’t have the heart to do it again this year…

Oh, The Joys December 18, 2006 at 1:50 pm

This photo is 4,000 times better than if she had smiled!

Jennifer December 18, 2006 at 1:57 pm

Crazy or not, I absolutely love the pictures of my girls screaming on Santa’s lap. They’re much more intersting than the one’s where they show little or no emotion – that’s for sure. You and WonderBaby will treasure this picture for years to come!

Christina December 18, 2006 at 3:22 pm

Love the picture! And it’s just one more way Wonderbaby is exerting her world domination – I have a feeling that Santa may never be the same again. Judging by the look on his face, he may give up Santa entirely! :)

That will be a great picture to show her prom date someday.

mothergoosemouse December 18, 2006 at 8:18 pm

That is one evil-looking Santa. I think he needs a little TLC from Mrs. Claus to put a smile on his face again.

It hasn’t gotten much better for us. Tacy and CJ sit there stone-faced, and every year I have to hold one or the other on my lap.