Knocked Up And Knocked Down

October 2, 2007

Last pregnancy, I had no morning sickness. This pregnancy, the morning sickness is lasting ALL DAY. I’ve been curled up in the fetal position on the floor, eyes squeezed shut to stop the endless waves of sea-sicky vurp, moving only to take position by toilet, for two days now. (Last week, it was only lasting through the afternoon.)

The doctor prescribed Diclectin, an anti-nauseant, but it knocks me out, which is great, except for the fact that I can’t appreciate the absence of nausea from the condition of unconsciousness. I’m not totally averse to unconsciousness – some of my best naps have involved unconsciousness – but I really do like to have some awake time on any given day.

The nausea is a good sign, I know. It’s all those crazy hormones, throwing a party for that embryo down there, and the crazier they are, the better the party is, and a better party usually means a more robust guest-of-honour. Last time around, there was no nausea, but there were also lots of scary hormone tests that indicated that things were too quiet down there, which was scary (Wonderbaby, as it happened, waited until the third trimester to start throwing parties, and she never stopped.) So, yes, I get it – the nausea is good. But still, yuck. It feels craptastic. I feel craptastic.

What do I do? Any magic remedies? Something that takes the edge off the sick but doesn’t make me unconscious? I’m no fun when unconscious (well, mostly.)

(crawling back under blanket with bucket now…)

karla October 2, 2007 at 4:06 pm

This probably sounds very counter productive because you feel so crappy, but for all my pregnancies, the only thing that combated the nausea was a very full belly.

Hopefully those hormones will wear themselves out from all that partying going so you can feel better soon.

bubandpie October 2, 2007 at 4:17 pm

You and Mrs. Chicky – it’s like you’re cosmically connected. Do you think it means you’re having a boy this time? Are you planning to find out and tell us immediately?

Karen October 2, 2007 at 4:23 pm

Slightly flat coke from the soda fountain, consumed slowly and intermittently through a straw.

mothergoosemouse October 2, 2007 at 4:23 pm

Good sign, yadda yadda…WHATEVER. I mean, I’m glad that all is well, but I’ve never been comforted by the “good sign” hoo-ha when I feel like my shoes are going to appear in the bowl.

I just really tried to listen to my body and what it wanted. For me, two foods always agreed with me – sweet fruit, and a bowl of cereal. Those were my “when in doubt” fallbacks.

fidget October 2, 2007 at 4:33 pm

With Levi I couldnt even keep water down. I took Zofran for 9 days and forced myself to start eating every hour. That seemed to reset me.

I hope you feel better soon

Karen October 2, 2007 at 4:34 pm

hey – yeah, I had some bad days. I recommend crystallized ginge and the nausea wrist bands people use for seasickness and eating simple carbs as often as possible – try something in the morning before you stand up, no matter how unhealthful, in fact the more it is like just plain sugar the easier it will be to digest, the coke is a good suggestion, actually – ginger ale as well. Stay away from protein and vegetables for a while. Also, if smells are setting you off, burn not sweet smelling candles (try wintergreen or peppermint over fruity types.) I highly recommend sleeping through as much of it as you can – and what you can’t sleep through, distract yourself through, movies, tv – things you can mindlessly enjoy while being horizontal. Being vertical is very, very bad in this situation. Sleep as much as possible. And my number one recommendation – if you can possibly stand it – is take a B complex vitamin. It cleans your liver. Your nausea is caused by your hormones building up in your liver and overflowing into your blood stream (yay! lots of hormones, blah, blah, blah, hearty embryo,etc ). I know it’s hard to envision a pill staying in, but once I managed to do it (swallow while sitting and immediately went to sleep) things really turned around – meaning I could sit up periodically throughout the day and sometimes eat toast and applesauce and even drink weak tea – hurray! And yes, that was on top of my prenatal – that didn’t stay in so I switched to two chewables a day, which helped. The result? My middle child. He’s awesome.

Kyla October 2, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Go visit Mrs. Chicky. She just gathered a plethora of morning sickness remedies.

Here are my humble offerings:

Eat frequently, even though you’d rather poke your own eyes out. Never get to the point where you feel hungry. Eat something small (even a few crackers) at least every 2 hours.

Sip ginger ale through the day.

Skip dairy. It made me feel much worse.

Even with those handy tips, I was still on pheregan with BubTar and both phenergan and zofran with KayTar. Pregnancy makes me sick. Literally.

metro mama October 2, 2007 at 4:46 pm

Saltines helped me. Wish I had more advice to offer! Hang in there!

Lawyer Mama October 2, 2007 at 4:49 pm

They say that morning sickness is worse with girls. So maybe you’re having a very girly girl? LOL!

Seriously though, Mrs. Chicky is having the same problem & her post on New England Mamas has all sorts of good remedies.

I ended up taking Zofran in the end. It’s the only drug that helped cut the nausea enough to function and didn’t knock my ass out. For emergencies, sour lemon or sour lime altoids work great. They stopped me from publicly puking more times than I can count.

Suz October 2, 2007 at 4:50 pm

Lollypops. Saltines. Eggos. Anything with a strong lime or citrus taste. I used to drop the citrus altoids in bottles of water to drink. It just might be me, but these things helped when I was pregnant with the twins.

Lara October 2, 2007 at 5:11 pm

i’ll tell you the same thing i told mrs. chicky: save up the vomit and throw up on people you dislike. you’re still throwing up, but you’ll be having much more fun with it!

anniemom October 2, 2007 at 5:14 pm

Ginger! Lots of it. Drink it, chew it. Bathe in it. Really. And it still will just make things kind of gingery-pukey, but it gives the illusion of remedy. I so feel your pain – - I was so sick with my little guy that I often held my hands up and shouted really dramatic things to the powers that be, like “Take me!!! Take me now!!!” Totally worth every minute. Sending love. xoxo

pinks & Blues Girls October 2, 2007 at 5:21 pm

I’m sorry – that just doesn’t sound fun at all. I hope you can find the magical cure that keeps you conscious AND feeling better.

Jane, Pinks & Blues

Rocks In My Dryer October 2, 2007 at 5:53 pm

Oh, you have my FULL sympathy. I was so sick with all four of my kids, and there’s just nothing like it. So consuming.

I read to try lemonade (slightly weakened), and you know, that really helped me a lot. Supposedly the scent of lemons is a natural anti-nausea treatment.

Best wishes to you.

Alley Cat October 2, 2007 at 5:57 pm

No useful tips. I’d go with Lara’s plan.

Mimi aka pz5wjj October 2, 2007 at 6:14 pm

I’ve no useful advice either! Just here to offer tea and sympathy — but it will probably make you vomit!

Fresh, cold air always made me feel a bit better, but it was Atlanta in the summer, were am I going to get that?

Amanda October 2, 2007 at 6:37 pm

No wisdom, just shared suffering. My own nausea seems to ebb a bit if I hold a freshly laundered towel nearmy face…it looks odd doing it anywhere but on the couch.

kittenpie October 2, 2007 at 6:52 pm

Well, with Pumpkinpie I gained 15 lbs. in that first trimester – you know, when you don’t have to gain any weight? Because endless crackers and arrowroots did the trick. I also found things pepperminty (tea, mentos, gum, rolaids) helped, and I have heard praise for ginger (in tea format, I suppose) from some other people.

Hope it’s just the couple of months or even less, and then goes away!

GeekLady October 2, 2007 at 6:57 pm

Check how much iron your prenatal vits have.

Too much iron in vitamins has always made me slightly urpy, but when I was pregnant, it was intolerable. That and there were 30mg of iron in my vits and that doesn’t count the extra iron supplement my doc wanted me to take. We eventually reached a gentlemen’s agreement: I would take (iron-less) Flintstones and an extra 400ug folic acid, and he could re-evaluate the anemia situation in the 2nd trimester and insist I take the supplement if I was anemic.

If your bottle/box doesn’t list it (mine didn’t!) I have a pdf that compares a bunch of different brands and yours might be on there.

Crystal October 2, 2007 at 7:02 pm

I also ate a ton Citrus Altoids. Try them.

Mrs. Chicken October 2, 2007 at 7:06 pm

Ginger candies. Kept me alive when I had “all-day-for-three-months-sickness.” The worst part was that I rarely barfed. Just sick all the time and no relief.

mel from freak parade October 2, 2007 at 7:09 pm

I second the Zofran. Even that did nothing more than just make me not wish for death every waking moment. I had the all day sickness for the better part of 5 months. I distinctly remember laying face down in the hallway carpet, crying and just wanting to die. You have my sympathy and my respect.
    Also….homemade lemon slushies. Ice, fresh squeezed lemon juice and a little bit of sugar to taste, in the blender. Eaten very slowly with a spoon. Something about the cold and the sour helped some. Hope the sickness subsides very, very soon.

Mom101 October 2, 2007 at 7:23 pm

Pure ground ginger capsules worked great for me. Your burps burn, but it’s better to taste the ginger twice than anything else. Hang in there sweetness.

Christine October 2, 2007 at 7:28 pm

suck on lemons. yes it is kinda weird, but it does help.

Shannon October 2, 2007 at 7:39 pm

I’ve totally been there. I took the diclectin, too, which helped mildly but also made me want to sleep until my fetus was 21 years old. In my second pregnancy I took half the dose which basically kept me from puking my face off and let me stay semi-functional. But for me one of the most helpful thing was slicing lemons up and putting a few slices in bowls around the house. The scent was very soothing to my stomach.

Jenifer October 2, 2007 at 7:41 pm

luckily I only have very mild nausea and it has been that way now with all three pregnancies, but the thing that worked best for me was small frequent meals…keeping something in my stomach seemed to help. And peppermint, or any mint really. I don’t know what it is about it but mint tea, pappermint candy, gum, peppermint Tums…they all seem to calm my stomach.

Hopefully it passes, and you are right it let’s you know things are going as they should!!!

Anonymous October 2, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Zofran and eating all day, even if I felt like I was going to puke. It was hard to do, but i felt better if i forced myself to eat. I lived on Egg McMuffins, hash browns and diet coke. Oh yeah and i ended up gaining 60lbs.

Lori at Spinning Yellow October 2, 2007 at 8:25 pm

I was totally sick with both pregnancies, the all day but not throw up kind. I’m not sure if I have anything to add, but I’ll put in my tips:

Eat salty things like saltines or plain goldfish. Try cherrios plain too and eat a little constantly, even get up at night to eat b/c as soon as your belly is empty it is nearly impossible to settle it down.

Eat WHATEVER makes you feel good, like if it is mac ‘n’ cheese at 8am then eat it! Or ice cream. Whatever works is fine.

Also, my sister told me this and I think it worked, protein. I ate PB on toast or scrambled eggs, stuff like that is supposed to be easier to digest.

And sometimes when all you want to do is lie down, get up and move anyway. If nothing else it might take your mind off of your misery.

Hang in there. It was a tiny bit better for me the second time only b/c I knew how wonderful the outcome was!

Oh, The Joys October 2, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Bleargh. I hope it passes soon, dear one.

Naomi (Urban Mummy) October 2, 2007 at 8:29 pm

I never really had bad morning sickness, but for that low grade nausea, it helped to eat lots of small meals.

My first pregnancy I lived on Ritz crackers and S cookies (those italian biscuits).

~JJ! October 2, 2007 at 8:31 pm

I stuffed myself silly with saltines and ginger ale…

Some alliteration for your pleasure!

Feel better.

Pgoodness October 2, 2007 at 8:34 pm

My first pregnancy I had bad morning sickness and I lived on Hi-C orange and saltines and Canada Dry ginger ale.

Preggy Pops are supposed to be good (I think it’s the ginger in them or something).

Hope you’re feeling better very soon!!

Catherine October 2, 2007 at 8:49 pm

Ginger. Ginger, ginger, ginger. Ginger snaps, Ginger Ale, Ginger everything. It helps. And that’s not even an old wives tale.

This is why I hesitate to have a baby number two – how to throw up or nap whilst caring for a toddler??

Jezer October 2, 2007 at 8:51 pm

Jolly Ranchers or Lifesavers and a walk every evening (seriously, if I took a 1-2 mile walk in the evening the nausea wasn’t nearly as bad the next day) are what got me through the first 12 weeks of morning/afternoon/night sickness with Al.

Good luck, and just remember that it will not last forever.

Jenifer October 2, 2007 at 9:00 pm

Yuck! I think everything I did has been mentioned here including the candied ginger and for me anything bland and white – Saltines and Arrowroot cookies.

It is a vile feeling, you have my sympathy!

Heather October 2, 2007 at 9:15 pm

I hate to say it but I’d rather be feeling at least slightly craptastick about now. I felt nauseated from week 5 or 6 through about 14 with my daughter and through about week 16 with my son.

This time? Only a twinge here and there. It’s starting to worry me a bit.

Kimberly October 2, 2007 at 9:18 pm

oh, Catherine, I’m so sorry. I did the Diclectin dance and you’re right, it’s brutal. The worst is that the vague feeling of nausea that lingers all damn day. And the bonecrushing tiredness. I cannot imagine it all on top of a toddler.

No suggestions here because I know how frustrating that can be. Just empathy and someone to at least virtually hold back your hair and wipe your brow.

(www.parentingwithoutalicense.com)

Janet October 2, 2007 at 9:19 pm

Is it all too depressing to say that nothing really works completely? I mean, there were things I could do to not want to completely curl up and die (get lots of sleep, give up coffee, eat small amounts constantly, eat completely healthy). I always felt yuck. All three times I took the plunge.

I feel for you. Get lots of rest.

Mrs. Chicky October 2, 2007 at 9:22 pm

I don’t know about you, but just the thought of ginger is making my stomach turn. Although, I did go out yesterday and bought a bunch of it in every form imaginable. I just can’t force myself to eat it.

Right now, citrus is working. Lemon in my water is the only way I can drink it (water is making me sick! Gah!). Lemon drop candies and citrus lollipops. Other than that, I’m considering the Zofran again. If I could I’d smuggle you some across the boarder.

Lisa b October 2, 2007 at 9:33 pm

Constant munching on whatever you can stomach.
    and pray for it to end
    alternate that with unconsciousness.

Some days this time I would lie in bed and have to remind myself that it was not like I had cancer or some disease. It didn’t make me feel better, just remined me that it would end better.

crazymumma October 2, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Oh sweetie. I’m so sorry. I just don’t know. Hopefully it will all lighten up soon.

TB October 2, 2007 at 9:44 pm

This may be rinky-dink stuff in the face of serious prenancy nausea, but have you tried ginger tea and/or crystallized ginger? What about pressure point bands?
    Hoping you feel better soon.

Anonymous October 2, 2007 at 9:56 pm

Slowly eat saltines – very small bites. Don’t let your stomach get empty. Sips of ice water too.

LD October 2, 2007 at 10:28 pm

I’m so sorry! Try Coke Icees. or Coca Cola in any form– not Pepsi- Coke. It was one of the only things that would work every time for me. The other thing that worked at the beginning were those motion sickness bracelets. The first few weeks of morning (all day) sickness, I couldn’t move–moving made me want to hurl, and those actually did help.
    Good luck!

Anonymous October 2, 2007 at 10:31 pm

I carried around a baggie of sliced lemons to suck on when the nausea got bad, or if I caught a whiff of something that made me sick.

Ice cold Coke worked wonders, too!

Anonymous October 2, 2007 at 10:38 pm

First of all, congrats on wonderbaby #2! For me, lemonade or water with lots of squeezed lemons or just sucking on a lemon helped me. It sounds strange but something about the citrus stuff really took the edge off. I hope it gets better soon for you! Missy

Miscellaneous-Mum October 2, 2007 at 10:42 pm

Well, I doubt I could really add anything new here than what’s already been said LOL. And you probably don’t want to hear my pregnancy sob stories either, so let me just wish that this period goes quickly by for you xx

Kaybeejaenq October 2, 2007 at 10:54 pm

Never leave the bucket behind!
    Find an acupuncturist who deals with pregnancy and get it done about three times a week (take the bowl/bucket with you!).
    Find junk food, something with sugars easily available and eat it, if you have to for every meal. I used to eat McDonald’s fillet of fish or mcchicken.
    Don’t try to drink water unless it stays down, find something that wants to stay in your stomach instead. sleep as much as possible (not medicated unconciousness, thats worse!).
    If you start to get dehydrated get them to give you IV fluids.
    I have spent three pregnancies with hyperemesis (the extreme version of morning sickness), its not pretty but believe me it does stop eventually. And if you feel like you are falling off the face of the planet and you are mentally falling apart tell someone, it messes with your head not just your stomach and you need to know that “just in case”. Oh and get someone else to come and do your housework and friends to cook some meals.
    Apart from that, I send you a million hugs and I hope it leaves you alone very very soon.

Nora Bee October 3, 2007 at 12:27 am

Ugg! The memories. I had a terrible time as well, and my heart goes out to you. I can’t imagine going through that with a toddler around..kudos to you! Lemonade, ice water, crackers, it’s all good. The thing that saved me in the end was chewing peppermint gum constantly. And I don’t even like peppermint. And apples. I ate bushels and bushels of apples.

It WILL pass!

KrisUnderwood October 3, 2007 at 12:56 am

Peppermint tea and raspberry leaf tea.
    Those two things truly made everything feel so. much. better!

You know, they say heavy morning sickness can mean a baby boy….

Oh, and I would like to recommend The Love and Tea Company (loveandtea.com)

They have awesome pregnancy teas-

Sorry about the long link…