I Don’t Want To Start Any Blasphemous Rumors

November 11, 2007

But I think that the gods have a sick sense of humor. They giveth, and they taketh away, and they seem to have a rollicking good time doing it. To wit:

The gods taketh away: our house. It sold in less than 48 hours, for over the asking price, with multiple offers. A few very, very stressful days waiting for the conditions to clear, but it’s done now. It’s done. Praise the heavens.

The gods giveth: pneumonia. To me. Or at least, something that looks very much like walking pneumonia, enough that my doctor said that I need to be treated for pneumonia, even if it’s just, you know, a less serious but nonetheless debilitating lung infection. In addition to the persistent nausea. Nice move, gods. Nice move. Nothing keeps a girl on her toes like keeping her on her knees, barfing up her cough drops.

Maybe this is just the universe’s way of keeping itself in balance. Whatever. If it can just arrange for me to get well sooner rather than later so that I can get back to my life so ordinary, I’ll forgive the gods their nasty pranks and maybe even find a way to be properly grateful for the sweet real estate deal. Maybe.

jen November 11, 2007 at 5:52 pm

oh babe. make sure to take your lungs with you. ouch.

and rock on about selling the house.

slouching mom November 11, 2007 at 6:02 pm

oh C.! i’m so sorry.

flutter November 11, 2007 at 6:32 pm

Oy! But the gods giveth the ability to quote depeche mode, and that’s a gift :)

Kimberly November 11, 2007 at 6:40 pm

Ugh. I’ve had walking pneumonia and hyperemesis and a toddler, but never all at the same time. That’s one hell of a trifecta you’ve got there.

crazymumma November 11, 2007 at 6:45 pm

dudette. I was riding along dupont today and I glanced down your street and saw the for sale sign. I KNEW you would get over the asking. Congratulations.

Your lungs. Your poor poor lungs.

Mary Joan November 11, 2007 at 7:02 pm

Take very good care of yourself. That is great news about the house, In my part of the country no one gets their asking price anymore, and houses stay on the market for months even when owners reduce their asking price dramatically.

Lady M November 11, 2007 at 7:06 pm

Congratulations on the house! That’s fabulous.

I hope that your health recovers quickly. I’m also getting tired of the preggo nausea, but at least I don’t have pneumonia to deal with. Sending warm thoughts to your lungs!

daysgoby November 11, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Rock on! (AFTER you recoup, of course!)

And when you get better, I’m sure we’ll find him laughing…

Karen MEG November 11, 2007 at 8:04 pm

Congrats on the house, but that’s awful about your pneumonia. I hope you get better soon!

Kyla November 11, 2007 at 8:07 pm

How many times must I tell you, “Get better!” Do it already. ;)

Really, I do so hope you catch a break soon. The barfing coughs are not so pleasant

Badness Jones November 11, 2007 at 8:34 pm

You poor baby! Feel better soon.

Liz November 11, 2007 at 8:38 pm

Awww crap.
    Congrats on the house, but BOO on the sick. Feel better. STAT.

Awesome Mom November 11, 2007 at 8:57 pm

Congrats about the house and I hope that you feel better soon. Being sick while pregnant is the worst thing ever.

Jezer November 11, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Two words: Hire help.

OK, three more: Feel better soon.

Fairly Odd Mother November 11, 2007 at 9:08 pm

Maybe the gods are just saying, ‘slow down, we’ll make you a nice cup of tea and wrap you in a warm blanket’. Hang in there and congrats on the house sale! Multiple offers?!?! I think everyone in my town should move their homes over the border b/c nothing is moving here.

Mac and Cheese November 11, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Great news about the house! It’s now ok to not maintain it for a few days while you rest up, so be sure to do that. I’m with Jezer on this one.

My Keyboard Voice November 11, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Congrats on the house sale! That sounds more like the gods giveth. Trust me, having people walk through your home for weeks or months sucks a**. Here’s hoping the gods taketh away your pneumonia ASAP. Feel better.
    Roz

Julie Pippert November 11, 2007 at 9:37 pm

YAHOO on the house.

BOOOO HISSS on the sickness. Geez (do i call upon gods or Depeche Mode here?) cut Catherine some slack already.

Julie
    Using My Words

b*babbler November 11, 2007 at 9:40 pm

Congratulations on the news! Send some of that good luck (but not the pneumonia) this way when the time comes.

And really… slow down and take care of yourself now. A big cup of tea, cozy blanket, bad television and lots of sleep.

Beck November 11, 2007 at 9:44 pm

GET SOME REST.
    I ended up on bedrest TWICE – both of my last pregnancies and for MONTHS ON END and it was NOT fun. You don’t want that (no matter how luxuriously tempting it might sound.). Rest. And get better.
    That’s good news about the house.

Heather November 11, 2007 at 9:55 pm

Congrats on the house selling!

I have to say that I have been coughing for 2 weeks now. I’m on antibiotics, but still coughing. It is getting a bit better though.

I literally feel your pain! Pregnant and coughing is no fun!!

kgirl November 11, 2007 at 10:19 pm

oh god – congratulations on the house sale, but yikes, pneumonia! take good care of yourself and that belly of yours.
    sending healthy vibes your way.

Janet November 11, 2007 at 10:45 pm

And you know what?

When I die, I expect to find those gods laughing.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Awesome house news though.

Erin-ExpectingExecutive November 12, 2007 at 3:40 am

Congratulations on the givith!

Bah-humbug on the takith-away.

I do hope you kick this nasty bug in the bug and you are feeling better soon.

something blue November 12, 2007 at 3:49 am

I think you should have a talk with those gods. It’s time that they taketh away all sickness. You need to have an easier thing to battle in balance. Perhaps ants.

~JJ! November 12, 2007 at 8:49 am

Well, yay for an easy sell.
    Yay for your DM reference…and I’m so sorry you are sick.

Granny November 12, 2007 at 10:25 am

Hope you’re over your pneumonia and all the other nasty stuff before you start moving.

And great news about the house.

(I didn’t even try to do the posting marathon this year).

Lisa b November 12, 2007 at 10:32 am

Congrats on the house sale. 48 hours is fast even in this market.

Coughing with nausea is no good. Been there. It sucks. Sorry is all I can say other than yes, I’ve had that song in my head a lot too recently.

mamalamadingdong November 12, 2007 at 10:56 am

ha ha ha ha ha!!!

get feeling better. <3

Phoenix November 12, 2007 at 12:45 pm

I’ve never heard of a house selling that fast. Congrats. Sorry about the Phenomenia, I hope you feel better soon.

mamatulip November 12, 2007 at 2:28 pm

I am so sorry you are so sick.

But I am SO HAPPY your house sold so quickly. Congrats!

Rusti November 12, 2007 at 3:08 pm

congrats on the quick sale of your house!! I hope you are feeling better soon – and rid of that nasty whatever-it-is you’ve got… sending good health vibes your way… well, as good of health as I have… no headache today – doing good :)

Rusti November 12, 2007 at 3:11 pm

PS – Did I mention our 6 month listing for our house ended Saturday – and we didn’t have a SINGLE LOOK at it in the entire 6 months? No? Well, that’s house it is ’round here… we’re going to relist with a new realtor after we do a couple more updates… my fingers are crossed :) Again – congrats on your quick sale. :)

mothergoosemouse November 12, 2007 at 3:39 pm

Wow. Talk about your extreme opposites.

I suppose it’s only right that a pregnant woman who’s saddled with a case of walking pneumonia ought to be karma-ly entitled to a quick, easy, and profitable real estate deal.

kittenpie November 12, 2007 at 7:42 pm

OH, my. yay on the first part, but good gravy, give the lady a BREAK on the second.

(I am now hopeing that the last month-and-a-half of sickness means that my agent is about to call and tell us she thinks we can get what we want for the old house without doing anything to it.)

painted maypole November 12, 2007 at 10:15 pm

hooray for the house. ack! for the illness (but at least one is longer term than the other, if that is any cosolation!)

Mrs. Chicky November 12, 2007 at 10:37 pm

Pneumonia? Damn. Hang in there, hon. And congrats on the house.

Aimee Greeblemonkey November 13, 2007 at 2:15 am

Congrats and YEEKS!

Emily November 13, 2007 at 6:45 am

Dude. In this housing market, the gods are sure giving to you.

wordgirl November 13, 2007 at 10:41 am

The universe has a morbid sense of humor, I’ll grant you that. And an awful sense of timing. Not that there’s ever a really GOOD time to get walking pneumonia. But the house thing is awesome.

Anonymous November 13, 2007 at 11:38 am

oh HBM i sure hope you feel better soon.and thats so great about your house.and for certain the gods have a sense of humour thats theres and theres alone….get well sooon LAVANDULA

Hannah November 13, 2007 at 1:29 pm

48 hours??!?? That’s incredible. What a whirlwind few days. Although much tempered I’m sure by the pneumonia.

Take a few days off now, you’ve earned it.

The Hotfessional November 13, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Rest up, but count your lucky stars. The market is so bad in Ann Arbor (MI) that houses are going for 70% of their asking price. If at all.

BOSSY November 13, 2007 at 7:40 pm

In Bossy’s world that’s a classic Yay/Boo.

Christina November 13, 2007 at 10:03 pm

Congrats on the house, but pneumonia sucks royally! I can’t imagine dealing with morning sickness, a toddler, and being sick, too.

Spend some money on extra babysitting and get some rest. Lots of it.

iheartchocolate November 17, 2007 at 11:13 pm

I hope you are better, so sorry you were sick.

I HATE YOU, not really, but I can’t believe your house is SOLD! That is fantastic.

I am of course insanley jealous.