Crazy Narcissistic Exploitative Zombie-Pimp Mom-Bloggers, Unite and Take Over

April 23, 2008

Nothing makes a mom-blogger prouder than to open the online editorial page of a major newspaper and see a picture of her daughter with a hyper-linked headline that asks “Is Blogging About Your Kid Exploitation?”

Of course it is, you say to yourself. And then you print the article and fold it neatly – you know, for the scrapbook, and also maybe for tax purposes – alongside the stacks and stacks of hundred-dollar bills you’ve collected from the enterprise of exploiting your daughter. The stacks that you make her wrap in wee elastic bands and load into the stroller basket to take to the bank. When she’s not busy posing for the pictures that you post on your exploitative ‘GET UR LIVE TODDLER SHOW RITE HEER” blog, that is. Or amusing herself in the corner with old vodka bottles while you spend the better part of each day telling the Internet stories about her. You know, for the cash.

I knew what that Globe and Mail story was about when I agreed to be interviewed for it. And I knew, too, that allowing them to photograph Wonderbaby and I would make us a focal point. I also knew that when I said, in the interview, this is going sound totally inappropriate, and probably needs a lot of explanation – it’s just that I can’t think of a better word – but in a way I think of her as my property, yanno? that the ambivalent preamble would be omitted when the quote was – inevitably – used. (Actual quote, minus preamble: “In a way I think of her as my property, my work of art… She’s a work in progress that I’m involved in. To that extent, I have some licence to be public about having her as my muse.”) I didn’t have a problem with that. I was prepared to stand by that. I knew that I would have to stand by that, because I knew that I’d get shit for that.

And I did. But I wasn’t quite prepared for the force of the shit being flung.

In the comments to the online article, this was the tenor of the response:

“Is it just me or is this poor little kid doomed from the get go?”

“Isn’t this just another form of pimping?”

“At 6 her daughter will likely hire a lawyer and sue her for half.”

“Parents that sit and blog are actually NOT paying attention to their children. You know the old saying ‘where are the parents.’ Well their (sic) right here in front of you honey, but they are zombified in front of a screen.”

“If this is the way this woman views her child, I hope she saves up whatever money she’s earning from her pathetic blog to pay for her kid’s therapy later in life.”

And my favorite (regarding a quote from Wonderbaby, cited in the title of the article) “Who would teach their child to speak like this?”

(Memo to ‘Dennis sinneD from Calgary’: if you know any two-year olds who can not only construct complete sentences, but articulate those sentences with perfect diction, then you live in some alternate parallel universe where said children quote EB White at five years of age, attend Oxford at seven, and publish their collected essays on the rise of the English novel at ten. Which is to say, NOT CALGARY.)

Anyway. OUCH.

The comments are stupid, I know. And, simply, wrong: I’m not some shameless mom-pimp, whoring out an online kiddy show for pennies from Google ads. I’m a writer. I make money from writing; it’s my job, my contribution to the household income, the means by which we’re going to send her to university and pay for her wedding and help her buy a house and just generally take care of her and her sibling. But it’s also a labor of love – I didn’t start writing to make money, I started because I love it. And I started writing about – mostly – being a mom because, in addition to loving the writing, I found solace and comfort and release and community in it. And so did others – readers, and other writers, who shared their stories with me. And so I kept writing, and so I keep on writing, and so I will keep on writing, until I have no words left. The money is nice, but it’s incidental to my love for the practice of writing.

Most of what I write is not Wonderbaby anecdote. I’m not simply keeping a play-by-play (or, more accurately, asskick-by-asskick) record of her life. I’m writing what is, in part, a living memoir of my experience as a first-time (soon to be second-time) mother. She’s a big part of that – the biggest part, in most obvious respects – but there’s a lot about that experience that holds her at the periphery. A very, very close periphery, but still. My motherhood is a work in progress that involves her closely, but it is, also, a work that is more mine that hers. When I said in the article that she’s my muse, that’s probably as close to the truth of the writing matter as I could get. She is the source of my identity as a mother, and my primary inspiration as a writer – but the story that I tell about the experience of motherhood – the experience of womanhood after having children – is not, strictly speaking, her story. It’s mine. Mostly. (The issue of public/private distinctions as these pertain to the quote-unquote institution of motherhood, and the idea of children as any sort of ‘property,’ are subjects for another post. Soon.) (I’ll just say this: the word ‘property’ – from the Latin proprius, meaning one’s own – doesn’t necessarily refer to chattel. Rousseau and Mill took ‘property’ to refer to the broad spectrum of things – including happiness, self-respect, family – that one might hold dearly as ‘one’s own’)

And in any case – even if one does regard my personal blog as simply one long exercise in narcissistic storytelling about life with Wonderbaby – what of it? As this blogger pointed out to me in a private conversation, why does so-called lifestyle writing in print not prompt people to generalize those writers as narcissistic nutbars or neglectful parents or – most pleasantly – pimps? Memoirs, autobiography, lifestyle op-ed columns – these have been around for a very long time, and while some such writers, I’m sure, are called narcissists, most of them have probably not had the unique pleasure of being called crazy, zombified pimps. (Most of them, however, have – from Rousseau to Sedaris – historically been men. There’s something about so-called lifestyle writing or memoir by women – online or off – that inevitably provokes hysterical name-calling and foretellings of the decline of civilization. This has everything to do with the historical consignment of women and family to the private sphere, I think, but again, that’s a subject for another post. I can only skim the surface here.)

There’s something about mothers lifting back the veil of the family that upsets people, that leads people to accuse the mothers who dare do such a thing of neglecting their maternal duties, of exploiting their children, of exposing their children to the dangers of the public sphere, of being bad. But that’s precisely what makes mom-blogging – to overuse a deservedly overused phrase – a radical act. We’ve always been told to not lift the veil. We’ve always been told to stay behind the veil, no matter what. We’ve always been told that the sanctity and well-being of our families depends upon the integrity of that veil – upon modesty and privacy and keeping our struggles and our victories to ourselves. Which has, over the course of the history of Western civilization (and that of other civilizations, of course, although I cannot speak to these with any authority), kept us isolated from one another. Kept us silent.

I choose not to be silent. I choose to tell my stories, tell – while she is young – her stories, tell the stories of she and I and our family and our place in this world and to pull meaning from those stories and to speculate on those meanings and to reflect, out loud, on what it means to be a mom in this day and age and other days and ages and all the days and ages to come. I choose to use my voice, my fingers, my keyboard to make myself heard. I choose to write. If that makes me appear, to some, a crazy, narcissistic, exploitative zombie-pimp who whores her child out for the sake of a few bucks and the self-indulgence of storytelling, then so be it.

It’s worth it. It’s so worth it.

******

Wee update: The writer of the article contacted me and asked if I wanted the offensive comments removed from the Globe and Mail site. I said no – apart from the name-calling, they’re expressing an opinion that I chose to engage with (because I think that it’s stupid and in some cases offensive, but still) and in any case, I’m not much on with censorship, unless it’s me doing it on my own site. Still… was that the right decision? Letting comments that refer to me as ‘vile’ and ‘zombified’ and ‘pimp’ stand for eternity on the interwebs? Or does open discourse require a bit of personal discomfort – perhaps more than I’m used to – sometimes?

Her Bad Mother April 24, 2008 at 9:24 am

Bokker – I agree; the article was fine (once I got over that sinking feeling that came when I realized that ‘the quote’ – without my babbley preamble, whih was to be expected – was front and center in the part about me ;) )

I think that you’re dead-on, too, about this being in part about women *taking* a voice without asking for it, about them stepping forward and making space for themselves within that system when none had been offered. More to think about!

b*babbler April 24, 2008 at 10:07 am

Eesh – the vitriol that can get spewed when talking about blogging.

And I definitely agree with a commenter above. The argument that this is somehow exploitative and abusive of children is ridiculous, and definitely speaks of a very pampered, privileged, over-politically-correct western viewpoint. Children in China putting together cheap toys and clothes for pennies a day? Exploited. Children in South America selling their bodies for pennies. Exploited. Children from homes across this great country of ours going to school hungry and with bruises? Abusive. Speaking and telling readers of the love you have for your child, telling their stories, saving those memories? Exploitative? Abusive? Ridiculous. To say so is insulting to those children that *do* live with abuse and exploitation.

Good response!

Anonymous April 24, 2008 at 10:22 am

Its true that children who resent their parents rarely do so for a single reason, and to the extent that they do this is unlikely to be the single, sole. But could this be part of a larger picture of reasons? Sure. Children often fail to appreciate their parents “love” as such. Or they can understand that it comes from love and still resent it. I think its totally unrealistic for parents not to consider the possibility that some day their children might hold all of this against them. In some cases it is bound to happen.

Anonymous April 24, 2008 at 10:32 am

Now that I think about it, I think that “love” is probably a misleading way to look at it. Children – especially teenagers, but grown adults as well – often think about their parents in very utilitarian terms. They don’t always want to know all about their parents’ love for them, at least not in all of the ways in which parents are interested in it. In those cases, some kids will probably fail to appreciate acts of love like this.

I guess its true that a blog like this isn’t going to be the main reason for argument between a parent and child (barring its discovery and abuse by other kids, say). But I’m struck that this is a long thread of people taking for granted that kids will appreciate this stuff because it is done out of love. But surely we all know that kids often don’t appreciate, and actively resent, acts of love? Its just a fact of life.

Her Bad Mother April 24, 2008 at 10:43 am

Anonymous – that *is* just a fact of life. You’re absolutely right. But there are potentially an infinite number of things – ‘acts of love’ – that our children might hate us for: sending them to a certain school, not allowing them to go wild on spring break, telling stories about their toilet training. Which is why, I think, that parents would be totally hamstrung if they got their panties/boxers in too much of a twist about what their kids might hate them for. We wouldn’t be able to do ANYTHING, because it’s pretty much guaranteed that no matter what we do, our kids will think we messed them up somehow.

All we *can* do is act out of love. I don’t assume that my daughter will appreciate my having written about her. But I hope that she will, and that’s all I have to go on for now. And in any case, much of the rest of it is about *me*, and I feel totally free about indulging in some license around that ;)

metro mama April 24, 2008 at 10:47 am

Hear, hear!

LD April 24, 2008 at 10:48 am

Whatever the comments say- I just want to say that they don’t know what your blog and blogs like yours mean to other mothers trying to figure things out. Wonderbaby is not so much exploited as loved by so many of us who see our own children in her–and who see our own trials and frustrations in you. It gives me, at least, peace to know that I’m not the only one…

Shannon April 24, 2008 at 10:50 am

Ugh. I wrote my comment on the article, but it showed up under “s m”, not “zchamu” which is what I post frigging everything under. The Globe and Mail’s “member system” is rather unfriendly.

Anyway, I simply don’t understand why people get off so hard on tearing other people down. Surely their time would be better spent tending to their own children instead of verbally shredding someone they’ve never met on the internet? There’s enough hate in the world already, no?

Anonymous April 24, 2008 at 11:03 am

HBM those people dont know you so who cares what those idiots think.and even though i have never met you i have been reading you since your urbanmoms days and I KNOW THAT YOU LOVE WONDERBABY.so to heck with all those hateful people.now i will go read all those other comments…LAVANDULA

Ree April 24, 2008 at 11:06 am

I read the article and knew exactly what you were actually saying. Those are some very unhappy people over there reading and commenting. I love your site. I love Wonderbaby. And that new little bundle we’ll all get to meet soon.

Screw.em.all.

Mrs. G. April 24, 2008 at 11:14 am

Yeah, Motherhood is the most important job in the the world, but just shut up about it all ready.

A little ironic, huh? This sort of backlash is as old as time. Blow it off, sister.

pkzcass April 24, 2008 at 11:14 am

I’m not a blogger; I don’t have time for it. But I have enough time in my 9-5 office job that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE reading your posts and those of other bloggers. Without you, MY job would be deadly boring. So thanks for that.

The article has some interesting points, but having been a reader of your blog for a few years now, and having enjoyed WB stories and your own thoughtful, beautiful commentary on many things that are not WB, I’d hate for this article to scare you and other bloggers enough to close up shop. I am a better (and happier) person for having read all the great, funny stuff on people’s blogs.

And for the comments about moms sitting at their computers neglecting their children, EFF YOU! You offend me because I work outside the home and have kids. I guess I neglect my happy, well-adjusted children too because I’m not catering to their needs 24/7. But don’t get me started…

Anyway, keep doing what you do. And the pic of you and WB…beautiful. You look fabulous being all pregnant in pink.

Miss Britt April 24, 2008 at 11:25 am

What total and complete utter bullshit.

(I am so eloquent)

Is my mom the only mother who sat around with her friends at picnics and swapped embarrassing stories about what their kids had done lately?

And I can SUE for that?!?!?

Sweet.

Eden April 24, 2008 at 11:27 am

When ABC did a story on my lawsuit (against Universal for telling YouTube to pull the video of my son dancing to a Prince song), most of the comments on the story were about the suit itself. However, there were a few that were about my poor parenting. About how I only paid attention to my son and not my daughter. How I had devised the situation to make my son “famous.” How I was making a fuss to sell my book (my book?). Et cetera.

They stung a little but in every case, they were basing everything they knew about me on a 29 second video and a three minute GMA interview. Knowing that, all I could do was be amused by people who have nothing better to do than to pass judgment on others based on the shared snippets of life that are presented to them. And they were so wrong every time they made one of their ridiculous comments that I couldn’t possibly take any of them seriously.

I think there’s a general distaste for women who speak out, like you say here. There’s a line in a Marge Piercy poem that I think of in these times: “Why aren’t you quiet?” I think the answer for me is “Because there’s no reason I should be.”

makyo April 24, 2008 at 11:45 am

ok, i know i am late to the party and this will probably get lost in the shuffle of all the other comments above. BUT…

i have been reading this site (ok, ok, i admit it, lurking) for about 10 months. i do not have children but hope to at some point. i think your writing is beautiful, on a regular basis, and this post is no exception. choosing to write about your life and your experiences does not make you a pimp, nor a whore, nor any kind of bad-seed name the haters might throw at your.

as someone who is not a mother, i find a tremendous amount of hope and inspiration (and, it must be said, humor) in your writing. if it means this much to me i can’t imaging how much it means to women out there who are having these experiences right along with you.

thank you for sharing with us.

TSM-terrifically superiorily mediocre April 24, 2008 at 12:17 pm

I know you have plenty of support here and really don’t need my two cents, but I’m going to give it anyway.

I’ve often wondered about these folks that leave comments like that. It seems cowardly and petty to judge someone based on an article or any one piece of information.

Personally? Though my children are much older, I love reading about your struggles, your strengths and triumphs, because it reminds me that we are not alone. That’s what this is all about. We are a huge online support group. Why else do we check our comments six times a day? We need encouragement!

So here’s mine: You GO girl! Keep up the good work, and don’t let a few nutjobs make you feel less than the gem of a mom that you are.

justmylife April 24, 2008 at 12:24 pm

So let me get this straight…It is wrong to blog about our kids? Since when? Does this mean it is wrong to talk about my children with friends? Because in my blog I share my children with friends.

And if they think you get rich off of Google ads, they should see my report, yeah, I am getting rich! A buck thirty-seven, yes I am getting rich. HA!

Mamma April 24, 2008 at 12:26 pm

Hey–I don’t know that I have much to add except my support.

I’ve seen so many examples of incredible support provided by and through mommyblogging that I just feel bad for the folks who don’t understand.

PS–It’s so not fair how gorgeous you are pregnant.

Hang tough!!

Carolyn B. April 24, 2008 at 1:05 pm

You are articulating precisely what I love about mommy blogging. I love the fact that I’m keeping track of small successes and challenges in my children’s daily lives and also capturing some of my own parental learning curves, triumphs and defeats — along with chronicling what else is going on in my life and between my ears. Someday I think my girls will find it a rich record of their childhood.

Right now, they glow with the attention and love being in my blog. For me, my choice is to be selective about what I say about them, trying to find that balance between expressing myself and protecting their privacy. If I think a post might hurt them, I either don’t write it or I’ll run it by them before publication. That’s what works for me.

And as for other mommy bloggers, I remain fascinated by what YOU are doing with your blogs.

Blog proud and tall (or shy and short) — whatever works for you. :o )

Hugs to you for sharing your life online with all of us.

mamatulip April 24, 2008 at 1:17 pm

I’m actually kind of looking forward to the day where I can print my blog off and hand bound copies to my kids. When my mother died I mourned the loss of a woman I didn’t get to know – a woman who had a newborn, who tried nursing, who dealt with a failing marriage and a wild three-year old, all the while building a career and trying to figure out who she was as a woman, wife, mother, daughter and career woman. I wept for her, for that woman I didn’t know, and I would give my eye teeth AND both arms to have something in print that could reveal more about her as a mother, a mother of a young child, a mother trying – and sometimes failing – to make it right.

You know how I feel about you, and about your blog, and I commend you on an excellent article and an excellent post.

Blog Starr April 24, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Of course, down with the hate. But up with the discourse.

I think people are focusing on mothers–because that’s what effing culture always does–about something that we should be thinking about as a whole. Even though the attacks are wrongly targeted and sexists, we really shouldn’t dismiss the question of what happens when a person publishes about another’s life.

Most “mommybloggers” have school age or younger children. Those of us with teens have seen the same debate from the other side. Teens Facebook and blog their view of their parent’s failings, things they have overheard, photos of their bedside tables….tons of stuff. We all “own” our lives, opinions and even creative interpretations of others, but that doesn’t mean that people won’t get hurt or mad if we include them in our social media.

It’s great we are living this new media, so much to be evolved.

Anonymous April 24, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Long time lurker here…

Did you notice someone compared you to Erma Bombeck? I loved ready her stuff growing up, and I bet no one said she was exploiting her family.

Shannon April 24, 2008 at 1:38 pm

It took me a while to really get to the bottom of why this bugged me so much.

Aside from people calling you ridiculous, cruel names and pulling judgments on you and your child out of their asses (and oh, I am so mad on your behalf and want to smack people), I think what really got to me was the fact that people assume that because you are blogging about being a mommy, instead of blogging about a “paid job” or even about your cat, it is less worthy. Less worthy of attention, of making money, of even being blogged about in the first place.

I wrote a really long post about it over on my blog. Like, really long. Ugh. You might need a coffee. It’s at http://www.threeseven.ca

I wonder how many of those people who called you names, especially the mothers, ever found themselves thinking the same thoughts about self doubt or parenthood as you write in your blog?

zoe April 24, 2008 at 1:47 pm

1) kudos to you for not censoring the other comments. that takes a woman with huge ovaries :)

2) That being said, I’m sure reading those comments really suck. I hope you find comfort in the supportive comments you do read and can just ignore the others. Those people are not brave like you are and choose to hide behind their computer screen.

great post :)

z

Anonymous April 24, 2008 at 1:47 pm

I have been a lurker on so many “mom” blogs for almost a year now. I love not feeling alone. My child is 13 and it’s hard but mostly, with some perspective (and booze), it’s funny. This blog along with others has helped me feel less alone in the daily frustrations (and victories) of motherhood. So f*ck ‘em if they can’t take a joke.

Someday I hope to have a blog of my very own. I have ‘awesome’ “I’m 13 and I know everything” stories.

GeekMommy April 24, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Well honestly.
    $40k a month? Obviously I’m not exploiting my daughter correctly – or someone is hogging all the $$!!

Seriously – don’t second guess your decision to leave the comments – in years to come you will laugh at how people who know absolutely nothing about you, or your family, or have even bothered to take the time to read your blog believe that the 5 minutes spent reading the G&M article gave them all the insight they needed to judge and condemn you.

Besides, it’s a good lesson for your daughter – down the road when you tell her that people will call you names and fling insults at you without having an actual reason to do so – you can point her to them and say “see? Because I wrote about our relationship while you were growing up, and some reporter mentioned it in a semi-negative light, random strangers decided that they needed to say foul things about me…”

We’re ‘allowed’ to talk/write/post about whatever we damn well want to. From body parts to careers to kids to boring TV shows… it’s that pesky thing called life. And if someone has a problem with the half-hour to hour a day you spend writing about it – let him/her question the time s/he is spending READING about it and posting nasty comments on the internet.
    One is creation – the other? a waste of everyone’s time.

((hug))

Maternal Mirth April 24, 2008 at 1:56 pm

You are a beautiful mother. You have 100% of my support … well, because if you didn’t I would be a total hypocrite :)

Much love for you and your wonder brood!

M&M

Mitzi Green April 24, 2008 at 2:18 pm

as i have recently posted about from my own experience…people love, just love, to show the world how right they are about shit they know nothing about–particularly when afforded the anonymity of a newspaper website comments forum.

lildb April 24, 2008 at 3:51 pm

it would be so easy to be intimidated by the number of comments already collected here, to be intimated by the impressiveness of your use of language to describe everything you did in this post, to be intimidated by the ideas you’ve put forth within the piece.

but i won’t let that stop me from telling you that i think you’re awful courageous and articulate and that you’ve every right to say and do just what you’ve done.

Anonymous April 24, 2008 at 4:24 pm

Check this out, you will get a chuckle

Sara April 24, 2008 at 4:32 pm

I really enjoyed this post and your site. I definately will be coming back more often. This was my first time here and I really do agree with what you said!

Cagey April 24, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Most folks have covered all the bases here. However, I do want to chime in with the “what are these kids doing while their mommies waste time blogging?” response. I HATE that comment – my blogging is like any other hobby. In short, I fit it in when I can find the time.

When I became a mother, so many of my other hobbies went by the wayside because my free time went downhill, but blogging has survived because of the very fact that it is so kid-friendly. I can easily snap the laptop shut when I need to turn my attention elsewhere. Too many of my other hobbies are not so easy to put down in a pinch like that – which is precisely why I do not get to knit complicated projects, make jewelry or do raku pottery any longer.

Canuckedup mama April 24, 2008 at 5:29 pm

I read often but comment so little I feel like I need to say “delurking”.

I just wanted to to say thank you for sharing your blog with the world – reading your/ Wonderbaby’s stories made it easier for me to cope with my tough days as a mother. Thank you for being courageous enough to share them, especially in the face of such unwarranted criticism.

Far from exploiting her, I think your blog is an amazing record of WB’s life through your eyes – a gift that I’m not able to provide my daughter.

Excellent post, excellent blog.

Glennia April 24, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Excellent post & comments here, Catherine. The article commenters can suck it.

I suspect there will be many things that my son will resent when he grows up. I suspect there might be a thing or two I’ve blogged about that he might not like or disagree with. I also suspect that when he has a child of his own, he’ll look at him or her and suddenly know that everything I did or said or wrote was done in the most profound love. I suspect your little ones will know the same, if not sooner, then later.

Mandy April 24, 2008 at 6:41 pm

I just found out about this and read the article and comments. I wrote my own little post about anonymous commenting. It reminds me of road rage… people feel anonymous in their cars, and therefore justified in attacking others. Not unlike using an anonymous commenting forum to attack a writer.

Anyway, I enjoy your blog and I think anyone who accuses you of the things those commenters did, obviously never read anything you posted.

daysgoby April 24, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Aw hell. What can I say (what am I, the nth comment?) that hasn’t already been said?

Just this:

Rock on, Catherine. I read you because you’re a blindingly smart writer and turn a good phrase, and you make me think.

Exploitation? Pah.

Bee April 24, 2008 at 8:30 pm

There are allot of people that would love to be in your shoes! Me for one! :o )
    You are an excellant writer and the rest of the morons can just go screw themselves!

jen April 24, 2008 at 8:59 pm

nothing to add that hasn’t been said except that i love how you will always stand up for us and our rights. our voice, out loud.

Amanda April 24, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Like Jen, not much I can add, other than this.

The timing of this post is perfect for me, so for that, I thank you.

I think you are creating an incredible legacy and your children, will value it in all its complexity.

Sarcastic Mom (aka Lotus) April 24, 2008 at 10:44 pm

You rocked it. This was fabulous.

The last thread you were dealing with in wrapping up the whole post, about lifting the veil is so right on. While I was pregnant and learning all about what that meant, I became obsessed with how much the general population doesn’t know about pregnancy and reproduction. Then, after Braden was born, it just continued, but it was about being a parent. I thought, “Why don’t people know about this stuff? Why don’t they talk about it? Why is it all such a big secret?”

Thank God for Mom and Dad blogs. Maybe the next generation will be more enlightened.

You know, if they can live through being pimped out by exploitative zombies, and all.

;-)

Sarcastic Mom (aka Lotus) April 24, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Oh, and incidentally, you may be interested in this post I wrote back on April 7th:

Rocks In My Dryer April 24, 2008 at 11:18 pm

Chin up, Catherine. You’re doing good work.

Teresa April 24, 2008 at 11:33 pm

i just recently became a blogger while on maternity leave. and because the most important part of my life was now motherhood, i became a mom-blogger. i’ve been very honest about my struggles with being a new mom and post-partum depression. why hide the good, bad and the ugly about mommyhood? i appreciate blogs like these because it’s place where moms can come and know that they are not alone in the way think/feel/behave. thank you for you vulnerability. some may not understand it and criticize it, but it means alot to people like me.

SUEB0B April 25, 2008 at 12:49 am

When I worked at the newspaper, we had a “club” of regular commenters. Many of them were total losers who had apparently nothing else to do. They would comment all day and night and go back and forth with each other. I have to think that those are the type of people who commented on the article about you.

Dutch April 25, 2008 at 1:21 am

no way I can read all these comments.

“When it came to trying to decide which theories of child-rearing were highly beneficial and which were absolutely ruinous to the future of your child — a subject of considerable discussion among some parents we knew — we agreed on a simple notion: your children are either the center of your life or they’re not, and the rest is commentary.” —calvin trillin

my wife happens to know one of trillin’s daughters, a colleague. she’s a successful attorney and a mother of her own now. she seems no worse for wear having been “exploited” in her father’s literary endeavors all those years, or for having been the center of her parents’ universe.

supertiff April 25, 2008 at 2:56 am

i don’t have any kids, but i’ve often wondered what’s up with all the hate toward mommy-bloggers…you know, the people who are all: OMG, YOU ARE EXPLOITING YOUR CHILD.

i just don’t know how you would ever draw that line.
    you gave birth to a whole new person, i get that. but, is that not the biggest thing that ever happened to you? do you not deserve the chance to speak about the joys and trials that it brings you?

of course you do.

and i’m glad that you continue to do it.

irishkat April 25, 2008 at 9:47 am

You go girl. Down with da haters!!

ConverseMomma April 25, 2008 at 10:15 am

This just saved me. You will never know how much. Thanks!

Jozet at Halushki April 25, 2008 at 12:05 pm

I’m with mamtulip.

I my mom told me that she had been keeping a blog about me filled with even one tenth of the love and respect evident here, I’d be over the moon.

Of course, my other answer to the haters is “I’m just getting my money’s worth before my kids start blogging about me and pulling away my readers.” Because my 9yo has already started blogging, and guess who is a topic of interest?

That’s right: I, Mommyblogger.

The gloves are off in our house, let me tell you. ;-)

Miss Merry Sunshine April 25, 2008 at 12:42 pm

150+ comments..whoa!

Call me the same pimp! I was thrilled to include ads on my blog and don’t care who knows it! I had my blog for 1.5 years and it’s like therapy. I do try to keep certain things off but, not a whole lot. My friends informed me I’m not allowed to use their names anymore (wusses). Keep doing your thing, I love reading your stories and WB’s too.