Getting Down To Business: Update

May 16, 2008

No baby. Lost rocked, though, so, hey, there was that.

Spent the better part of today at hospital while doctors fussed over size of baby and fact of ongoing contractions that seem to go nowhere. The baby? IS HUGE. Well over nine pounds now and measuring off the chart for length and head size and everything size and very near to the point where they automatically recommend c-section. My doctor, however, is very anti-c-section unless absolutely medically necessary so there was consultation after consultation with other doctors and OBs about whether the fact that my body has been preparing itself slooowly for ‘natural’ labor is reason enough to wait some more days.

They decided that it is. Wait.

I cried.

Which, embarassing, but still. CANNOT do this. Need this baby out. And would strongly prefer that the ‘getting out’ not involve my nether regions being torn to shreds by a gargantuan head and general fetal massivosity.

I’m now exhausted and in pain and terrified of staying pregnant while this baby grows and grows and becomes too big to fit out my hoo-ha. And the castor oil? Has done nothing as yet. (Although, for the record? Mixed with a cocktail of cream soda and root beer – don’t ask – it doesn’t taste all that bad.) NOTHING.

So. Having tried pretty much everything – seriously – that there is to try, all that’s left is praying.

Am praying.

Awesome Mom May 16, 2008 at 11:53 pm

I will be sending good labor vibes your way!

If you do end up with a c-section get up and move as soon as you feel your feet. The pain makes it tempting to stay in bed, but that pain will go away much faster if you get moving. I know because I have done it that way twice before. Both of my boys were 10+ pounds and I am very glad for c-sections.

Heather May 16, 2008 at 11:58 pm

I so remember this with both of my girls. I really swear that I would be preggers forever. Castor Oil didn’t kick in labor for me, neither did jumping up and down in the bathroom forever. I was willing to anything to get those kids out of me. Especially Chicken, I was so big and felt so yucky and she was 9.5 lbs so I wasn’t looking forward to that. (No c section~just the chicken shooting out quickly like some damn amusement ride somewhere)

I am also shooting you off some labor vibes or the ob gets on the truck with c section vibes!!

Angela May 17, 2008 at 12:23 am

I’ll be thinking of you this weekend. Surely by Monday you’ll have your body to yourself again. Well as much as one can when getting no sleep and breastfeeding (if that’s what you do).

And surely after all this practice you’ll pop Sprout out in record time.

Melissa May 17, 2008 at 1:00 am

Please try not to be terrified of a big baby. Doctors are very, very often wrong about a baby’s size and it’s rare that there is a true misfit between baby and mother. And I know that’s easy for me to say, but I did give birth to two babies over nine pounds, one without any medication or even medical assistance (that last part not on purpose, heh), with only minimal tearing.

kittenpie May 17, 2008 at 1:41 am

I was about to say what Melissa said about size estimates – my friend last summer was being told that her baby was something like 11 or 12 lbs. and it was really more like 9 and change, they had really over-estimated, so I do hope that’s your case, too!

Thinking of you often and hoping this will get on with it this weekend so you can get on to the recovering path.

Anonymous May 17, 2008 at 2:44 am

Can’t believe this has been going on so long – you are brave for hanging in there. I hope you can get some rest and then that Sprout will be so ready to meet you that he’ll come out in record time.

Rebecca May 17, 2008 at 6:21 am

Can’t your doctor induce you/break your waters at this point?

the dragonfly May 17, 2008 at 6:49 am

Soon, soon, soon!!

Clink May 17, 2008 at 7:32 am

I’ve been lurking and following and feeling so bad for you! I know what it is like, 10 days after my due date I sat sobbing to my doctor that I didn’t want to be pregnant anymore. I was finally induced.
    I hope more then anything you get that baby out ASAP!

Beck May 17, 2008 at 7:43 am

The final few days of pregnancy are possibly the very worst days I’ve ever had, and I always became convinced that I’d accidentally signed up for The Pregnancy That Would Never End, God Help Me. But the babies DID always come out, and honestly to ME, you sound like a woman who is about to go into labour.

The size of your baby doesn’t always have much to do with how hard labour ends up being – a friend of mine gave birth to an ELEVEN POUND baby (and this friend is TINY!)in just a couple of hours and was FINE afterwards, too.

apathy lounge May 17, 2008 at 7:54 am

Mother of a 9 lb son. He was the easiest to birth of all my kids and he was the largest. He was also the only one NOT brought on by Pitocin. Know what made him come on his own? Sex. Ask a nurse and they’ll tell you. That said? Still praying for you…and I’m not even much of a praying person.

duckrazzle May 17, 2008 at 8:30 am

A bulletin board-type site to talk about bloggers!

It’s brand new – get it going the way you would like to see it! New topics at will, and forums by request are yours for the asking.

Blogs are a wonderful way for the blogger to express his or her viewpoint…but they don’t allow much feedback if you happen to disagree, or if you really agree and want to amplify on it.

Razzlefratz.com provides a clean slate for you to vent…praise…flame…whatever.

nomotherearth May 17, 2008 at 8:41 am

Sending you good EASY labour vibes. Listen to what Beck says. She’s smart. Hang in there, friend. xoA

Candygirlflies May 17, 2008 at 8:55 am

Oh, sweetie… My “9-pound” first baby (who was 9 days overdue)turned out to be 7 pounds!! And she arrived in record time.

If you are really feeling emotionally distraught, call your doctor back. An induction might be just the ticket– and even if they just give you a DATE when they plan to go ahead (no matter how they choose to proceed!), that will give you something to look forward to.

A happy, healthy mummy helps to make a happy, healthy baby… And it’s time to get HBM some SERIOUS “happy”!!

It’s going to be ok… Remember that your body has done the childbirth-thing before… You can do this!!

Much love– CGF xoxo

Niksmom May 17, 2008 at 9:18 am

Oy vey! Am sending up prayers for Sprout to make his appearance this weekend and to be as gentle as possible on your hoo-ha!!

I can’t comment on the size thing; what do I know? My guy was a 27 weeker just barely over a pound! I pray your doc at least gives you some sort of end-date in sight for either induction or section. Sheesh.

anniemom May 17, 2008 at 9:23 am

You know the old “What got you into this will get you out?” I know, what could be worse than a little Bow chicka wow wow right now, but seriously. I was in a similar boat with my son, and a couple of frustrated, tearful, not at all romantic interludes with the huz at 4 am did the trick. I was in labor 10 minutes later. We love you and want this beautiful boy to come out soon. And he will!

Her Bad Mother May 17, 2008 at 9:43 am

Apart from his weight, there’s the issue of other measurements – he has a really big head and is really looong (they can measure and *feel* that) Feel my ginormous belly and his size is no mystery. AAGH.

Her Bad Mother May 17, 2008 at 9:44 am

Oh, and? Have done the sex thing. Perhaps need to do it more, but it is REALLY uncomfortable what with the massive belly and the ongoing contractions.

Will be walking much today.

Angela May 17, 2008 at 9:46 am

If I had the cash, I would fly you to St. Louis where my doctor would take that kiddo out in record time. (My first was seven days late, and she ended up being a ten pounder. She left the hospital wearing 3-month clothes.) The best of luck to you.

Nancy May 17, 2008 at 9:46 am

Praying for you too, my friend.

xoxoxoxoxo

Liz@thisfullhouse.com May 17, 2008 at 10:06 am

You poor thing. Are these doctors crazy or, by any chance happen to be men? UGH. Good luck, Momma.

Shannon May 17, 2008 at 10:10 am

I’m so hoping that this is all just one great big long warmup. A pre-game, as it were. Hopefully, as soon as your water breaks that baby will come shooting out across the room.

Also – everyone I know has had the weight of their babies vastly overestimated. Most people who were told 9 lbs. had 7 pounders. I hope this is the case with you!

marymurtz May 17, 2008 at 10:13 am

When I worked in early childhood development, one of the moms had a preschooler and a LONG overdue baby. Her mother came in with the little boy and I asked, hopefully, if the little boy’s mom was in labor? The grandmother pulled me into the office, laughing, and said that no, she wasn’t…but she had tried castor oil.

Problem was, she couldn’t remember if it was a tablespoon or a teaspoon, or the whole bottle. Such was her desperation that she drank the whole bottle. Grandma had called the house that morning to check on her, but the preschooler answered the phone. “Mommy can’t come to the phone,” he said. “She’s sh**ting her pants.”

Angella May 17, 2008 at 10:16 am

I’m praying too!

What I don’t understand is why they did not induce you early!

Graham (my first) was 9lbs 12oz ON HIS DUE DATE. I had a 4th degree tear. It was awesome.

With both Nathan and Emily, I was induced early due to the big babies I make (and the fast labours I have).

He was 8/5 and she was 8/4, 10 days early. Both came out with two pushes. Easy peasy.

I don’t know why they did not do the same for you…

I hope it goes smoothly for you when the time comes!

Chris May 17, 2008 at 10:34 am

Oh man. I’ve never commented before, but I read your blog and enjoy your writing. I just want to wish you the best. I’m confident you’ll get through this soon, but I suspect the seconds are longer for you than they are for me at the moment. So, yeah, I’ll do all I can do, which is to wish you strength to hold you over. :)

Ms. Huis Herself May 17, 2008 at 10:44 am

Oh man. You poor thing. Sending fast-easy-NOW labor thoughts your way.

Devra May 17, 2008 at 10:53 am

As for the big baby thing, I remember when I got to two weeks post-date my OB joked, “Open your mouth, let me see if I see any feet.” Being as short as I am, she was convinced if the baby were allowed to hang out any longer, we could consider a groundbreaking “oral” birth.

I’ve had two c-sections. It helped to bring in music we wanted to hear during delivery. Relaxed everyone in the room. :) I second the recommendation of getting up and moving. Also, Lortab is your friend.

Karen May 17, 2008 at 11:04 am

am praying too.

Tempered Woman May 17, 2008 at 11:08 am

I’ve been following your updates on Twitter- gawd how I feel for you!! I hated those last days so freakin much. I cried too. Lots of crying. My girl was a 9lber but we have big babies in this family. She was 10 days late. I think I made it much too comfortable for her. And I tried it all, down to scrubbing the kitchen floor cause someone said the motion or whatever. Nothing freaking worked. Got admitted Monday night and she didn’t make her showing til Thursday just after midnight. Uh huh. Had to be induced. And that ladies and gentlemen is why I only have one, heh
    Lots and lots of warm baby inducing thoughts sent your way!

Laura May 17, 2008 at 11:13 am

I’m praying too! Walking (alot) might help – get gravity working in your favor. I believe that all babies do eventually come out, if that’s any consolation.

Hang in there…

~ T ~ May 17, 2008 at 11:25 am

both of my kids were 9 pound babies, not sure how I did it.

have a very stern talk with your son (for the umpteenth time I’m sure) and tell him, with all the love you can muster, to GET. OUT. NOW.

soon enough this will all be over, but the endless early labor sucks.

mommastantrum May 17, 2008 at 11:41 am

I hope that sprout gets out soon.

Did they check to make sure that he is not stuck or something? Bacon was stuck face up (GIANT HEAD that boy has) and once they figured that out they had to do a C-Section.

I will be lighting candles all day and praying he comes soon. I am so sorry that this is so long and drawn out for you.

once you see his little face though it will all be worth it.

mo-wo May 17, 2008 at 11:42 am

The nuthatch came at 41 weeks.

He was 10lb + and when they announced his head size I thought them meant length.

In many ways it was a better, easier labour than with #1 who was only 8,3.

My baby was so robust and feeding was easier. If he lost more weight than the numbers dictated I didn’t have to worry.

I am truly excited about your Mr Little big Guy.

The contractions I cannot speak to so know you have my ‘oh honey’ on your soldiering on. I am sure it will pay off somewhere soon. A quick labour?, a world class latch, an early sleeper…? you will get your due.

If not those then perhaps the distinct reward of a beautiful new child created by a lovely family.

I will harp again. Stop thinking about labour! Enjoy the waning days of WonderBaby’s only childhood.

BTW when I let the Junipers have it on that score I think they had the baby the next day. Just sayin’

ps… My nickname for him is already firm. Friendly Bear.

sam May 17, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Am thinking about you as I pray that your Sprout and this kid get out SOON!!

Catherine May 17, 2008 at 12:14 pm

I don’t know if this helps at all, but my boy was allegedy 9+ pounds too, and the Dr.’s were talking necessary c-section and everything. He ended up being 7 pounds 12 ounces and I’ve since learned they are barely guessing about the size and weight until they come out. Either way – you body can DO THIS! 7 pounds, 10 pounds, your nether regions don’t care – they can DO IT!

Des May 17, 2008 at 12:31 pm

I am SO sorry! That’s what happened to me when I took castor oil… spent hours at the hospital just to be sent home.
    BUT, I had her within a week of that!
    Keep your chin up! (easier said than done, which is why I’m saying this at 5 weeks pregnant, not 39)

Jozet at Halushki May 17, 2008 at 12:33 pm

(((((hugs)))))

That’s all I got for you. Just lots of hugs.

Jenn May 17, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Well that’s too bad , hope things get moving along though , I know it’s hard when you are spending every minute of the day just wishing it would get over with already!

anymommy May 17, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Ack, you are a trooper. Seriously. I came by thinking there would be an announcement (and wanting that name!). Thinking of you.

Oh, and not to get graphic, but the sex thing has worked twice for me. You have to get the big O, bigger the better. That’s what kicks the contractions into gear. Easy for me to say, I know, I’m not nine months pregnant!

fidget May 17, 2008 at 1:07 pm

sending you labor vibes. I’m not due for a few weeks yet but even my doctor is hoping I have this one early b/c they say is he goes to term, he’ll be at LEAST ….. 13 pounds! *gasp faint*

I am soooo feeling you on this.

lots of fresh pineapple, romaine lettuce, a stern lecture for baby, rough romping with DH and perhaps try out a prenatal massage or chiropractic adjustment.

He’s coming and soon. I hope very very soon for your sake! *hugs*

Erika Jurney May 17, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Christonabike, I don’t have anything wonderfully inspirational to tell you, and I’m so sorry this is taking so frakking long.

I’ve had 2 c sections and they weren’t bad at all. If you do have one, my only assvice to you is to get up and walk the second they will let you. I healed really really fast by walking to the NICU every hour or three.

You’re not likely to have quite the same motivation for walking as I had — it was easy for me to get out of bed and walk because both times I gave birth they took my baby and put him in the NICU on the other side of the hospital from me — but walking was really helpful for healing.

That said, this sucks ass. And I’m just so so sorry it’s crappy for you.

HeatherK May 17, 2008 at 1:31 pm

My third was a c-section and the other two just made me wait forevah in long induced labors for their arrivals. Those last days and hours are the hardest. Sounds like you and this (not so!) little one are in good hands. Come on baby!

Baby in the City May 17, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Oh, enough about the baby, this labour has been going on for what, 2 weeks?(Kidding. My sympathies.))But seriously, let’s talk about Lost! It did rock. I felt it was really quite sad. I felt really bad for the six.

And the bomb about Jack at the end! Did NOT see that coming (until about 1/2 way through the conversation.)

And yeah, I am super slow to come around, but I now love Ben so much. He is awesome. Ever since the Shape of Things to Come episode a few weeks ago. Since he’s been John’s captive, he has become really funny. Love it.

Back to Jack – what is the point to the thing we found out? Where is that leading?

daysgoby May 17, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Sending you love from this coast to yours….

Oh sweetheart. This is so hard.

Heather May 17, 2008 at 2:09 pm

I’m guessing your OB is male?

Did they try to strip your membranes or anything like that? Sheesh.

I’m miserably big and pregnant too, but at least I’m not feeling like you are.

Here’s to babies coming soon…we hope!

ilinap May 17, 2008 at 2:12 pm

I had a burger with pepper jack cheese, jalapenos, and Tabasco sauce when I was in the final round with both my boys. Did the trick in less than a day each time.

Amanda May 17, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Ave (my second) was 9lbs 8oz and came naturally…10 days late. Hang in there, big babies are beautiful and wondrous and vastly better sleepers.

Anonymous May 17, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Did they check your Bishop’s score? If you have a reasonable one, and your baby’s not posterior or anything, I would think that the prodromal labor would be a decent reason to induce in someone who’s had a previous vaginal birth.

I too had babies who were way overestimated for size: over three weeks before they actually arrived my twins were estimated at the size they in fact were at birth (around 8 and 8.75 pounds). If the estimates had been correct, I should have had at least one ten-pounder.

Here’s hoping it’s fast and easy once you’re there! I always wanted a chance at a second labor (the twins were a planned C-section due to breech/transverse presentation, and my third was essentially a first labor).

Helen

DellaB May 17, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Adding my prayers to the others…

DellaB

Jessica May 17, 2008 at 3:54 pm

If it makes you feel any better( sure it won’t) my youngest was 10.5 ppounds and we induced ON his due date. I was able to push him out pretty easily and hadfive small tears and an episiotomy. Really though, I had a csection with the first and my second birth was so much more awesome, even with the vagina pain. Plus, I was a major celebrity in the hospital and everyone came to see the woman who pushed a toddler sized infant out of her hoohoo.