Bare Your Boobs In The Air! Like You Just Don’t Care!

September 12, 2008

Yes, I am still going on about my boobies. Such are the risks of reading a blog written by a lactating mother: I can and will subject you to my reflections on the trials and tribulations of breastfeeding. And this WestJet debacle? Falls into the category of trial.

WestJet has begun responding to the letters that so many of you have written on my behalf – no, they have not responded to me nor been in touch with me directly – and the gist* of their response is this:

Dear Unhappy Person,

Please to accept this form letter that we have cut and pasted from the form letter that we sent out when the last unhappy person complained about our ‘cover up your icky nursing boobies plz’ policy on in-flight nursing. Note that we have not even bothered to change names in these letters, such that they refer only to the last incident and not to the one about which you complain. We are paying no attention to this most recent incident, as we believe that we adequately explained ourselves the last time – we know that some people find boobies dirty and offensive and we are concerned to ensure that those people are kept comfortable, which is why we urge nursing mothers to cover their nasty boobies while they nurse on our planes – and have not bothered to pretend otherwise.

Thank you for flying WestJet! Where federal and provincial human rights codes do not apply!

Yours,

Random WestJet Owner Who Is Assigned To Deal With Annoying Customers Who Are Probably Communists And Also Maybe Perverts, Wanting To Show Their Boobies Like That.

Which, you know, makes me angry.

So now I want you to send them letters. Angry letters. Contact information is at the bottom of the original post here. And/or blog about it/write about it/pass the story along. This just sucks – again, pun only loosely intended – so much, for all of the reasons that I’ve outlined in the past.

I’m just so sick and tired of this. I just want to be able to nurse my baby without being confronted by society’s stupid issues about boobs. I want society to get over those issues, at least when it comes to nursing boobs. I want to feel empowered when I nurse, not shamed. And I want my daughter and my son – all our daughters and sons – to see that that’s how it should be.

F*ck the blanket.

* The above is my translation of their letter, which is the exact same letter sent to people who complained about an incident that occurred last month – right down to the name of the person involved.

Mz X September 14, 2008 at 6:15 am

My family do know my views, but when I talk to them I make an effort to be PC. When I’m talking to other people, I like to let it all out. I can’t do that if I feel like someone’s reading over my shoulder. The is the internet, a fair few of you aren’t using real names. I don’t see you attacking the hoards of ‘anonymous’ who are supporting you.

I absolutely agree there is nothing wrong with a woman breast feeding in public. However, there are conditions on that. There is nothing wrong with me eating in public, but if I eat messily with my hands, with my mouth open, drooling and spitting everywhere, I think there’d be some complaints. And rightly so. In the same way, a woman breastfeeding discretely is no problem at all, but if flesh is exposed then there is a problem. Hiking your top up or down in such a way that makes it blatantly obvious what you were doing is, while not inherently wrong, going to cause comment in some places.

A plane, while a semi public place, is also the private property of a company and, as such, they will have to field any complaints as diplomatically as possible. If another passenger or passengers made a complaint, they have to do something about it. They didn’t force HBM to cover up, they offered her a blanket and left it with her. They did what they had to as a company to avoid fur flying. Trust me, as someone who works in customer service, you have to walk a fine line between offending one person or offending everybody. There isn’t usually a solution that makes everyone happy – and sometimes you don’t manage to please anyone. It sucks, but that’s life.

Louisa September 14, 2008 at 6:28 am

Hi Mz X. I think I need to apologise for sounding aggressive. I don’t mean to _ I think like you, the anonymity means I can let it all ‘hang out’ but that doesn’t mean I can be rude. I am sorry for not being more careful in how I have expressed things.

It sounds like we largely agree. With rights come responsibility and the right to breastfeed should come with the responsibility to do it in a way that doesn’t make others uncomfortable, whether it’s reasonable that they be uncomfortable or not.

Having made quite a few flights in the months that my daughter has been born I have always been received with support and encouragement when it comes to travel with her and breastfeeding her on flights. I am just so amazed that this could happen. I am not sure if you have read the other info on HBM’s experience, but she was being discreet, was in a row with only her family, noone complained but the hostess assumed someone may be uncomfortable rather than waiting for someone to express this. This assumption, especially by a woman, is hard for me to fathom as it just reinforces to the public that breastfeeding is something to be ashamed of…something not acceptable in society. Apart from being wrong, this can also be such a harmful message to spread.

Why is it that women are often their/our own worst enemies?

Michelle September 14, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Here’s a copy of the letter I sent:
    Dear Ms. Bentley,

I am writing to ask for an explanation for an incident that happened while on your airline. I find the treatment that this breastfeeding mother received to be absolutely disgraceful, insulting, sexist and a violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Here is the blog post to which I am referring:

I have read responses from your airline in the past that basically tell women that other passengers’ rights are being violated because they may feel “uncomfortable”. Too bad. The right of a woman to breastfeed wherever and whenever she needs to trumps all others. Perhaps you should start a policy of telling people who complain to look the other way and leave the breastfeeding mothers alone? Your airline should have a clear and coherent policy on this. The Ontario Human Rights Commission does:

You have rights as a nursing mother. For example, you have the right to breastfeed a child in a public area. No one should prevent you from nursing your child simply because you are in a public area. They should not ask you to “cover up”, disturb you, or ask you to move to another area that is more “discreet”.

from: Ontario Human Rights Commission website: http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/issues/pregnancy/index_html/view

Please respond at your earliest convenience. I know that a lot of parents are waiting to hear what you have to say.

Regards,

Michelle

I hope that will help. Also, I am a Toronto blogger.

As for Ms X, you are clearly misinformed. A company can not have a policy that violates the laws of the land or strips a person of their rights or freedoms. IT IS HER RIGHT (please get your facts straight).

I think it’s long past time that we stopped worrying about a woman being “decent” as though there is something indecent about a woman’s breast.

Gem September 14, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Michelle – that was beautiful :)

Lowa September 14, 2008 at 1:07 pm

I have been a lurker for some time, but wanted to comment on a few things.

I cannot articulate how angry this makes me! Why can’t our babies just eat?? WHY!?!? HOW ON EARTH can someone be uncomfortable because a baby is nursing. YOU CAN’T SEE ANYTHING!??! The babe’s head blocks any view and in case it doesn’t?? DON’T LOOK! DUH!

Why can’t our babies just friggin’ eat in peace?? Seriously??

It is just insane. Boobs are sexual objects which is SO DUMB! I always say “The only reason the silly bags of fat and milk ducts are there in the first place is to nourish our young”. That is their main purpose and I can never understand why people don’t use them as such. Although that is not what this is about. I just feel sad when I know women who don’t even attempt ti nurse. Seems like a waste of time and money, etc etc.

My 7 yog saw a picture of Sarah Palin with her baby on a magazine cover in store recently. She said in a very disgusted voice, “Don’t tell me she BOTTLE FEEDS!?!?!” LOL I am not sure where that came from because we don’t talk about things like that much. Although I have told her breastfeeding is best.

Anyway, I am praying for your nephews as well. I just can’t imagine all this health stuff. My father and one of my brothers have MD as well, but not the kind your sweet nephew has. I can’t believe about Zachary. My son is close to his age and it hits very close to home. I will pray, pray, pray!

Mz X September 14, 2008 at 1:37 pm

1. Louisa, I didn’t find you rude, no worries. If I couldn’t take a little crit, I wouldn’t be here. I realise it is unlikely in this case that anyone could have been seriously offended, but it is still possible a complaint was made. And even if one was not – the flight attendant offered the blanket with some slight encouragement to cover up. She did not force HBM to cover herself, and in fact left her alone to decide for herself. Me, I don’t see the harm. I certainly don’t see hundreds of responses + media interest worth of harm.

That said, I love drama and I can see why people are flocking to this. I know I’m having a great time.

2. Michelle. You’re absolutely right, a company cannot have a policy that violates rights or freedoms. If they had told her to stop feeding her baby, I would be joining you in your outrage. But they didn’t. They didn’t even MAKE her cover up. Just asked. Barely even that. Care to tell me what law that violates?

Michelle September 14, 2008 at 1:39 pm

For what it’s worth, I also blogged about it: http://michellesamom.blogspot.com/2008/09/why-cant-people-leave-breastfeeding.html
    I really hope you get the apology you deserve and that this does not happen any more.

Michelle September 14, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Mz X, if you read the letter I sent (above) you will see that: “They should not ask you to “cover up”, disturb you, or ask you to move to another area that is more “discreet”.” (source Ontario Human Rights Commission).
    You can also look at the recent CBC article:
    Which discusses the same (this time in BC).
    Or you can go to:
    and read more on this issue.

Her Bad Mother September 14, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Ms X – I was being discreet. I’m always discreet, for my own comfort – because I worry about people having reactions. Which is wrong, and part of the point here – I should not be made to feel ashamed for feeding my baby. As I’ve said many times – new mothers are vulnerable enough as it is, and the nursing relationship sometimes so tenuous (it can be brutally difficult, painful at worst; awkward at best) that it just sometimes doesn’t take much to do emotional damage and/or tip them in the direction of not nursing at all. To be told – to just be encouraged – to cover up is to be told that there’s something unseemly, something shameful about what you’re doing. Why is that okay?

All sorts of people are made uncomfortable by all sorts of things. My disabled nephew, I’m sure, makes some people uncomfortable when he eats in public, but would anyone tell his mother to throw a blanket over his head? Some people are uncomfortable with same-sex relationships – should same-sex couples be told to not hold hands in public? My point is – some rights simply trump issues of social discomfort. Urging a blanket seems like no big deal – unless you’re an anxious, stressed nursing trying to calm a fussy newborn, or simply a shy mother who’s already ill at ease with wrestling her boob into her child’s mouth, in which case that urging hurts and shames. Just as it would hurt and shame any other person whose age, ability, sexuality, what-have-you made someone else uncomfortable to be told that they should go elsewhere/cover-up/whatever so that they wouldn’t spread discomfort.

The flight attendant wasn’t aggressive with me. She didn’t demand that I cover up. But she did urge me, and she was persistent. And I was already being discreet (not that that should matter – sometimes – as with a fussy squirmy baby – it’s impossible to be totally discreet.) I should not be asked to cover up, I should not be urged to cover up, I should not have ‘covering up’ suggested to me – how I breastfeed is entirely up to me, and nobody else’s business. Anything else constitutes the interference that the Ontario Human Rights code and BC human rights code and federal human rights code proscribe. And rightly so.

Her Bad Mother September 14, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Vanessa – you figure out how to make those into t-shirts, I’ll totally buy one. ;)

Dana September 14, 2008 at 4:59 pm

If the pro-blanket people weren’t such perverts, or threatened due to self-esteem issues, and able to control their over-sexualization of everything, it wouldn’t be a problem.

I see no reason why innocent mothers should pay for others’ lack of self-restraint. You go, C.

LD September 14, 2008 at 5:12 pm

You know what? I understand where you are coming from on this, and I totally agree with why you would be upset.
    I nurse on planes also – and I’ve never had anyone comment.
    The thing is, when you’re nursing generally your baby is quiet.
    It’s far easier to look the other way when someone is breastfeeding (discreetly or not) than it is to block the noise of a screaming baby.
    When we were travelling this summer I asked my doctor how to best protect my baby’s ears (she was 3.5 months) and she told me to nurse as much as I possibly could – especially on take-off and landing.

Vanessa September 14, 2008 at 5:56 pm

You want one? I actually can print them. I was playing in a custom program. Its not hard, and shockingly, not expensive.

Mz X September 14, 2008 at 6:55 pm

HBM – you make some fair points, but the fact is, this is a unique situation and it is hard to make any accurate analogy. The real issue here is the double standard – childfree women or women with older children are not able to show their breasts in public, so may be irritated by breast feeding women being allowed to expose themselves. Comparing it to sexuality just doesn’t fly. Straight people who criticise same sex couples usually engage in public displays of affection themselves, which means they are the ones with the double standards in that case.

My definition of discrete would be for no more flesh to be visible than a fully dressed woman – ie, some cleavage but no under cleavage, nipple or sides of the breasts. I agree that this is an arbitrary standard but if I am expected to be covered up, then so should you.

I actually probably have very similar views to many people here. I don’t have a problem with breast feeding, and think it’s probably best for babies to be breast fed. I also don’t think women who breast feed should be stopped from doing it in public, but they should not expose themselves (unless I can go topless as well, because I would fucking love to). That’s just good manners.

I gotta say though, you come across a lot smarter than your followers :P I don’t agree with all you’re saying, but you make some damn good points. I’d still prescribe you a chill pill, but I no longer think you need a triple dose.

Vanessa September 14, 2008 at 7:33 pm

Actually, Mz X, in Ontario (which is where HBM lives…and so do I), it IS legal for women to go topless.

Just tossin that out there.

Michelle September 14, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Actually, Mz X, again, you are misinformed. In Ontario you are free to walk around topless. Enjoy!
    Your definition is not the law, and there is no reason why HBM should conform to your idea (or anyone else’s) of modesty.
    Good manners means minding one’s own business. It would be impolite to stare at someone while they were eating at a table, and it is impolite for anyone to gawk, stare or complain about a mother breastfeeding her baby.

Anonymous September 14, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Next…

Anonymous September 14, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Next…

Redneck Mommy September 14, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Mz X…Having witnessed Catherine nurse Jasper numerous times I can personally assure you that when she’s got her boob in her kid’s mouth the only thing you can see is the back of Jasper’s darling little head.

I show more cleavage with the shirts I choose to wear than Catherine does with her tits hanging out.

whensheworeponytails September 14, 2008 at 10:24 pm

Catherine,

I still haven’t heard back from them but if I get that letter I’m going to be irked. Not that they will care.

I think Michelle showed that where you live you CAN go topless. Which has already been said. So whether Mz X agrees or not is really a big fat WHO GIVES A SHIT. I really hope you don’t let that person give you an ounce of pause since you’ve had enough to cope with this year.

I have an idea. Why don’t we give blankets to the people it bothers and let them cover their heads up? We want to make sure they are comfortable with YOUR RIGHTS.

Pamela September 14, 2008 at 11:12 pm

I’m from New York State, and so obviously I can’t comment on Canadian law, but our civil rights law states specifically that it is completely legal for any portion of a woman’s breast, including the nipple, to show, if the ‘show’ is incidental to breastfeeding. And this is in New York, where we all have big sticks up our asses.

The part of your story that pushed it over the edge, for me, at least, was that it is legal to be topless in Ontario, and the airline suggested BREASTFEEDING was bothering people?

Why? Because they can’t touch them whilst the baby’s working? Because they might just shoot themselves in the eye with milk made from last night’s tacos? Good Lord.

I’m totally going to be ranting about this tomorrow. And writing a letter to those dirty old men.

Anonymous September 15, 2008 at 7:55 am

Why does everyone on this blog attack people with differing views (Mz X)? Is there no room for debate?

Anonymous September 15, 2008 at 8:52 am

I could not love that picture more!

Good for you for fighting back….and most importantly, good for your sweet baby that Momma can stand up to the all the ass*@es and give him his lunch!!

Seriously, don’t people have more important things to worry about on a plane??

Momily September 15, 2008 at 9:10 am

I would love it if pro-breastfeeding discussion could exist without the odd slam against bottle/formula feeding (Iowa). Yes, breast is best, yadda, yadda, yadda, but some women are not able to breastfeed. Sheesh – why does this always come up?! You’re not a better mom because you are able to breastfeed, just as you’re not a bad mom for formula feeding. Iowa – I hope you instill some tolerance in your daughter on this one.

Yes, it’s just one comment here (and a few on a previous post of HBM’s that I reacted to in the same way) but I find it interesting that none of you jumped on Iowa for “unempowering” and diminishing those of us who can’t nurse, but Mz. X is the new resident antichrist. I’m sorry Iowa, but I don’t see the “LOL” in a 7 year old girl judging women who use bottles to nourish their kids.

As for the Sarah Palin dig, her politics are not my politics, but if she were any other woman with a special needs infant pursuing the greatest opportunity in her career, I sure hope no one would be shitting on her for bottlefeeding her baby.

Her Bad Mother September 15, 2008 at 9:22 am

Momily, I hope that you know that I’m totally opposed to anyone slamming bottle-feeding. I’m against anyone out and out slamming anyone – I’d rather we debate than judge. That said, I’m guessing that people skimmed over Iowa’s comment and took on Mz X because Mz X’s comments are challenging both the post at hand and the comments – so it’s a more obvious target for debate.

I’ve used a bottle in public and never been judged for it, but I know women who have and I think that it can be just as pernicious as anti-bf’ing judgement.

Women feeding their kids should just be left alone, period.

Catherine September 15, 2008 at 9:29 am

You know, if this had happened to me, I think I would assume that the kindly woman stewardess was not herself uncomfortable, was not trying to GET me to cover up, but maybe was touched by the scene and wanted to make ME comfortable as much as possible. Maybe wanted ME to feel as free as possible to nurse on a plane and maybe thought a blanket would help.

Of course, she was wrong, and she would have been wrong it it had been me as well.

But I think that’s how I would have read it.

Is there not any chance that this is what happened? That the benefit of the doubt might be a valid perspective?

Just a thought….

Her Bad Mother September 15, 2008 at 9:41 am

Catherine – I wouldn’t deny that the FA was doing what she thought was the best thing, or even that she thought that I *would* be better off covered off. But she wasn’t offering me comfort, asking if I was alright, if I needed anything – she was encouraging me to cover myself while nursing. Which, I think, is wrong. Flight attendants should – in my ideal universe – follow a policy of ‘do not intervene’ in dealing with nursing women. Offering me comfort would have been lovely – asking if there was anything that I needed – but that’s not what she did.

lavandula September 15, 2008 at 11:21 am

hi catherine i can’t believe their response is to post a form letter referring to another incident. you know i flew KLM airlines with a breast feeding infant and wasn’t asked to cover up with a bklanket and this was in the 90′s.i am one of the mums who complained but don’t live in GTO. good luck catherine and if i can do anything else for you and other nursing mums i will

LD September 15, 2008 at 11:45 am
    Alex September 15, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Thank you for getting me angry, Catherine. I had never written an angry letter to a company who did something stupid before writing West Jet about your experience. You’re inspiring.

I’m not GTA but I’m also not far away (in Kingston) should CBC be interested (I heart CBC).

Oz September 15, 2008 at 12:36 pm

My babe refused to be covered with a blanket while nursing – he’d rip the damn thing off and then look around, leaving my nipple flapping in the breeze. So, while I personally would’ve preferred to be covered (though I think everyone should be able to nurse undisturbed whether covered or not), it just wasn’t going to happen, no matter how many people offered blankets. The blanket just made the whole fussy baby wrestling situation worse.

Steph September 15, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Try: http://www.lawhelpontario.org/ and the Durham Community Legal Clinic to make some connections. Although once this hits cp24 or The Star I’m sure you will have folks knocking on your door to help. The other high profile WestJet flyer who experienced the same disrespect has also setup a Facebook page.

http://thebroadspot.blogspot.com/ September 15, 2008 at 2:50 pm

You are so cool! I respect this work so much. You are making the world a better place for future mothers. I am totally linking to this post on my blog. I want all my friends to know about this campaign. We are pro-public breastfeeding (if you want to do it, that is) at Broadspot!

Anonymous September 15, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I’m sorry you were made to feel uncomfortable, but do you think it was the FA’s intention to make you feel this way? She will probably say no. You absolutely have a right to breastfeed but no one denied you this right. Unfortunately, one doesn’t have the right, sad to say, never to be made uncomfortable. Going the lawyer, CBC, HRC route will be a world of hurt.

Her Bad Mother September 15, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Anon – I have a right, I think, to not have anyone intervene when I’m bf’ing to make suggestions about how I might do it more appropriately. At least, that’s what the Ontario human rights code says.

Anonymous September 15, 2008 at 3:52 pm

I agree. Just saying that many similar cases have been presented to various HRC in Canada and have taken years to be decided. Perhaps it is time for a new approach is all.

Gillian (NOT THE WEST JET ONE) September 15, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Over the 4th of July I was breastfeeding my son in a public place in Nashville, down an unoccupied hallway, with my mother sitting beside me (blocking the view from the main hallway), and I was covered up with a hooter hider. Like, neck to knees, draped in a black cape. And somebody complained, and the female security guard asked me to leave. Remove my child from my breast and depart! I am making people uncomfortable with that slurping sound! I said no, and my mother just about killed her with a glare of death.
    So, I rally behind HBM on this one. My baby is almost 5 months old, and I am working full time and feeding him with my body, and this shizz is HARD. Whatever, I’ll keep doing it, but hell if I’ll let somebody bully me into stopping, and hell yes I will rally behind my bfing sisters to let us do it as and when we need to.

And yes, FAs have to walk a line when determining what to do about a complaint. I guess my beef is that it would seem that they immediately side with the complainer, instead of with the mother. If I complain that brown hair bothers me, are you going to ask the brown-haired guy to wear a hat? No, because that’s unreasonable. So why isn’t this?

LazyCrazyMama September 16, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Hell yes!! Why are others so damn uncomfortable with it? Should we let our babies starve for your comfort?

Anonymous September 16, 2008 at 3:43 pm

“The real issue here is the double standard – childfree women or women with older children are not able to show their breasts in public, so may be irritated by breast feeding women being allowed to expose themselves.”

Women who are breastfeeding are not out to show their breasts in public; they are out to feed their children. That’s what breasts are for. So if you are irritated because you can’t go topless just because you like it, the double standard you should be attacking is the one that allows men to go about in public without a shirt.

Her Bad Mother September 16, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Anon – THANK YOU.

I would add, no-one would think to suggest that it’s not fair that visually-impaired persons are allowed to bring companion animals where pets are not usually allowed – companion animals are a *need*, not a luxury or lifestyle choice. Likewise, nursing mothers *need* to use their breasts to feed their babies – they’re not exposing (however partially) their breasts for fun.

Mz X September 16, 2008 at 4:16 pm

“…but Mz. X is the new resident antichrist.”

…I like that.

Her Bad Mother September 16, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Mz X – seriously, be flattered. rebel angels are all the rage.

although it raises the question – who’s the christ? ’cause I’m not taking that mantle, thankyeverymuch.

Jaelithe September 16, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Mz X, as a childfree person, you clearly lack the experience of nursing a child, do not know how children act when they nurse, and do not understand the mechanics of nursing. This is not to meant to be a criticism of your childfree lifestyle. It is meant to be a criticism of your attempt to claim knowledge and authority in an area in which you have next to none.

For instance, one thing you clearly have no personal experience with is the fact that many babies refuse to nurse under a blanket. My child did, when he was a baby. I tried for months to get him to nurse under a blanket, to no avail. He would refuse to eat until it was removed. He would cry and thrash because he couldn’t stand the sensation of having a blanket over his head. I imagine he felt like he was being smothered. I don’t really blame him. But my attempts to “be discreet” by covering up with a blanket wound up with everyone staring at my wailing, flailing child as breastmilk soaked the blanket and my clothes.

It’s also clear to me you currently have too much time on your hands, and too little attention in your life. Perhaps you should get a dog? I am personally a dogfree sort of person, but I hear they help pass the time. Or, if you have a dog, perhaps you should find a more fulfilling hobby than trying to provoke people you’ve never met on the internet.

Linda September 16, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Just saw you on CBC News — go HBM!

P.S. Baby J is super cute.

J Kat September 16, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Mom just wants her 15 minutes.

Look at the language on this blog site. It isn’t about breast-feeding. It is about her wish to, quote, “Bare Your Boobs” and “still going on about my boobies”. It isn’t about the child, but about mom’s exhibitionism.

Get a life!

Her Bad Mother September 16, 2008 at 6:35 pm

*rolls eyes at J Kat*

J Kat September 16, 2008 at 7:02 pm

OK, just read through the previous posts. I understand your audience a bit better. Here are some of their gems.

– “WTF is everyone’s problem”

– “screw them in the ass. in their mother’s ass”

– “I will rip them a new one”

– “wiped my ass with your form letter”

– “Pervy Lactating Mom with Big Nasty Dirty Boobies.. Wanna see??”

– “perverts and pedophiles and whacked out religious people”

And that’s just form the first dozen or so. This blog isn’t about a concerned mother pursuing freedom or her child’s welfare. It is about a bunch of wanna-be 14-year-old girls and their potty mouths.

You make it easy to side with the airline.

The CBC broadcast makes it seem like you had a tantrum. You got your 15 minutes — should have been better prepared.

Elaine September 16, 2008 at 7:08 pm

J kat

Is that all you’ve got?

Complaints about the mother and other people that have posted here? Really??

Last I checked – the issue was breastfeeding in public – not the language on this blog.

Go away.

elaine September 16, 2008 at 7:11 pm

I forgot to add

Fuck the blanket.

Anonymous September 16, 2008 at 7:38 pm

I’m a 48 year-old mother and have no problem with breastfeeding in public. But do I want to see your boob? NO. It’s not about feeding your kid, it’s about seeing your “bits”. THAT is what makes people uncomfortable. You may not get it, but then neither do the people who hork (sp?) on the sidewalk — they think it’s totally natural, too. Cover up! No one will care if they don’t have to see your body. It’s simple. Please, get over it and go with the flow.