10 Things To Do Before You Become A Parent

March 18, 2009

I heard a song once – one of those songs that you hear on the radio in someone else’s car, or over the soundsystem at the grocery store – that had a refrain about some woman regretting the fact, in her middle age, that she’d never driven a sports car around Paris, or something to that effect. I can’t remember exactly; what stuck with me, mostly, was the thought that well, I’d been to Paris. So – I thought – I probably wouldn’t have that regret. Which, as it turned out, was quite right: I’m not yet in my middle age, but I can see it on the horizon, and I’m happy to report that there seem to be no travel-related regrets forthcoming.

That said, I do have some regrets, of a sort; they’re just not of the bucket-list variety. My regrets – such as they are, now that I’m a parent, with responsibilities and accountabilities and very limited ability to do as I please – are more of the man, I wish I’d appreciated that when kind of regret. (Regret is a bit strong. Let’s call these retrospective yearnings.) I was thinking about this yesterday, as I lay on the couch with a cranium-rattling headache, trying to amuse the baby by weakly nudging a rattle toward him with my foot. In that moment, the idea that I might ever regret something like not being able to take off to Paris for the weekend struck me as absurd. Paris, schmaris. What I regretted most in that moment was the fact that in my pre-motherhood life I did not appreciate the luxury of being able to take to my bed when I was sick. Which got me thinking: if I knew then what I know now, what would I have done more often or appreciated more before I became a parent?

1. Get sick, and like it: I know, being sick is supposed to be a miserable thing. But is it, really? Assuming that your symptoms are not too brutal, and/or that you’re able to medicate yourself into a happy stupor, there is much to enjoy about being sick. You stay in bed all day, drinking hot steamy drinks and slurping chicken soup and watching bad game shows and soap operas and Dr. Phil and maybe thumbing through some tabloids and napping and just generally enjoying the Vicks VapoRub-scented experience of convalescence. If you live with someone – and especially if that someone is a spouse or romantically beholden to you in anyway – you can bitch and whine at them and they will bring you more soup.

You cannot do this when you have small children. There are no sick days when you have small children. When you have small children, you cannot take to your bed and watch television and huff VapoRub. You have to parent. So what it you’re dripping snot on the head of your wailing baby? That baby isn’t going to feed/soothe/change himself. You’re on duty, bitch. Deal with it.

2. Take naps. Take lots of naps. The kind where you doze off on the couch before dinner, the kind where you nod off at your desk at work, the kind where you just say screw Monday and go back to bed for an hour. Because what I said above about being on duty? That applies 24-7. Which means, no, you can’t just take twenty minutes to “rest your eyes.” Unless the baby is having his own nap, in which case you’re welcome to try to nap, but I’m guessing that you might want to shower/bathe/eat, too, and you’ve probably only got forty minutes, so.

3. Shower/bathe. Enjoy your showers. Take lots of them, and make them long and hot. Also, baths, if you’re a bath person. Long hot baths at all hours of the day. Twice a day, even! With bubbles and oils and magazines.

Oh, sure, it’s not like you’re forced to stop bathing and showering when the kids come along, but you will find that your bathing/shower regimen is seriously curtailed. You’ll skip days – those days when eating and sleeping seem more pressing than cleanliness – and when you finally do get around to performing some ablutions? You’ll be scrambling through that shower in less than three minutes because the baby is in his crib, shrieking, or you’ll be splashing briefly in a lukewarm tub because the hot water tank got drained when the toddler’s tub needed to be refilled, twice, after she a) brought a roll of toilet paper into the tub, because b) her ‘poo-poo was coming.’

You will miss long, hot, leisurely baths and showers, I promise you. Enjoy them now.

4. Have a drink or two at lunch. You know how, sometimes, you go out for lunch on a Saturday and someone says, why don’t we order a bottle of wine/get margaritas/have a beer? and you spend the afternoon eating and talking and drinking and working up a delicious buzz? And it’s, like, totally fine, because you know that you can go home and have a nap and a bath before thinking about what your evening looks like? Yeah, you can’t do that when you have small children, because a) you’re probably not having lunch anywhere that sells a decent bottle of wine, and b) naps? baths? Ha. See above.

5. Cultivate and appreciate a hangover. Hangovers suck, right? Wrong. Hangovers only suck if you can’t take a day off to recover from them. Hangovers, properly tended to, are similar to being sick, only with a little added frisson of shame to make things interesting. When you don’t have small children, you can spend your hangover day in bed, watching television and eating potato chips and warding off that buzz of guilt with Oreos and chocolate milk. When you do have small children, you can’t do this, for reasons that I’ve already stated. But you’re probably not drinking all that much, either, so it’s kind of a moot point.

6. Stay up late/sleep in. See above re: hangovers/being sick. You just really don’t get to spend a lot of time in bed when you have small children.

7. Have sex whenever you want. Ditto.

8. Spend a rainy day watching an entire season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There’s a theme emerging here, I know: things that you do while curled up in blankets on the sofa or in bed while eating junk food. I can’t recommend these activities highly enough. I miss them desperately. If you asked me, would you like to take the family on a Caribbean vacation, or would you like to spend a week, by yourself, just laying around watching DVDs and reading books and eating cookie dough? I would really have to think about that.

Because, seriously: Paris, Barcelona, Tulum, whatever. Whenever I do get around to going back to those places, I’ll probably want to take the kids anyway, because I want to see it all through their eyes and I want them to see what I’ve seen, blah blah blah. But a day off, where I do nothing but lounge and nap and snack and just generally indulge in some lazy-assed laziness? That place, I want to go to there. ALONE.

9. Eat chocolate chip cookie dough (or guilty pleasure food of choice) without any regard for who might be watching. I love cookie dough. I think that cookie dough is better than cookies. But I would strongly prefer that my three-year old eat, say, apple slices and cheese, rather than cookie dough, and so I conceal my cookie dough habit from her as best I can, with varying degrees of success. Just yesterday I was trying to nibble a hunk of chocolate chip cookie dough, torn from the end of a Pillsbury cookie dough package, when I was confronted by my daughter, who demanded to know what I was eating. It’s cheese, I told her. Spicy cheese. The kind you don’t like.

Those look like chocolate, she said, pointing at the chocolate chips.

They’re raisins, I said. Spicy cheese raisins. Then I shoved the rest of it in my mouth and swallowed before she could get a closer look. It kind of ruined my enjoyment of the experience, quite frankly.

10. Take more naps. Seriously. I adore my children, and wouldn’t trade them for anything in the world, but really: most days, I would pay serious cash money for a nap.

Or a long hot bath. Or some uninterrupted cookie dough indulgence. Or a day off. I wish that I’d known that back in the days when I could have them all for free.

But now you know. You’re welcome.

(Parents: what would you add to this list? Would you take Paris or the Caribbean over Lounge Week? Am I the only lazy-assed layabout out here in momosphere-land? Or would you one-up me and demand two weeks? You know, enough time to watch all back-seasons of Lost and maybe also Battlestar Galactica?)

Mommy Melee March 18, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Hahaha. All of these are SO true.

What sucks is once you’re pregnant you already can’t do half of them. So I always feel like I’m too late “warning” someone.

(Cause it’s usually shit you tell a pregnant woman not a random not-with-child friend.)

Kelly L. March 18, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Only one comment from the mother of a 1 year old with one on the way: Amen! Thanks for the fun post!

Must Be Motherhood March 18, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Oh Lord, I am laughing like a fool in my cubicle about spicy raisin cheese. Ah, sneaking food.

I’d add Hair Removal/Other Hygenic Oddities to the list. Plucking eyebrows? Shaving the pits? Who has the time with the banshee screaming etc. etc.?

And sorry, I’d pick Paris. But that’s perhaps because I’m more of a crusty baguette + cheese + wine all afternoon at a cafe kind of gal than I am a cookie dough one.

Goddess in Progress March 18, 2009 at 1:53 pm

So true. Alone, alone, alone. All I want is a day to be totally alone in my house (or, frankly, anywhere) to laze about and do whatever I please. Or do absolutely nothing on my own schedule.

Related, of course… one thing I miss is the way we used to just spontaneously decide to go out for dinner at 8:00 at night. No biggie, just don’t feel like cooking, let’s go out to our favorite neighborhood place.

Now? Ha. Every now and then we can bring the toddlers to the early bird special (woo, early bedtime!), but it isn’t exactly the same…

wherewiller March 18, 2009 at 1:53 pm

It’s this seemingly small stuff that has become SO missed, that I didn’t know how PRESHUS it all was until having kids. And it’s gone. For a while, anyway. Boo hoo.

Besides, you can take your babies to Paris (I have). But at least I guess while these little life suckers are young, you can’t wallow in your own misery properly.

pandorican March 18, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I thought I was the only one who lied about food. ” oh this? Oh no, you wouldn’t like this, it’s spicy!” (MY Thin Mints!)

The Any Key March 18, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Go figure I read this as I have 9 days until my due date with my first baby and sleep is already elusive.

I have great timing.

Brooke March 18, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Similar to #4, I would spend as much time as possible with my husband. Just hanging out. Because after kids, when you don’t get much (read: any) one-on-one time, you forget how much you like each other.

Michelle March 18, 2009 at 1:55 pm

::sigh::
    I couldn’t agree more.
    Also, I would have appreciated the privacy of being able to go to the bathroom in peace, the tranquil quiet of reading the morning paper while sipping my tea… ahhh…

geeklady March 18, 2009 at 1:57 pm

This is very nerdy, but play a MMPOG until you’re sick of it. I’m not allowed to pick up my World of Warcraft habit again, because GeekBaby would go unfed, unwatched, and unbathed. Until he was old enough to play, and then I’d probably buy him an account and power level him. (I’m mostly kidding. Mostly.)

Also, speaking as someone who has been sick a lot, being sick sucks donkey balls and I hate hate hate hate it and I can’t imagine wanting to enjoy it. Ditto for hangovers, but at least those are within my power to avoid.

kateypie35 March 18, 2009 at 1:58 pm

All VERY true!!!

I would add one….go out to eat at lots of nice restaurants with linen tablecloths…and have LEISURELY meals…with several courses. And wine. And dessert. And coffee. Spend hours. Even when at home…really enjoy your meals.

Nowadays most of my meals are shoveled in my mouth over the kitchen sink. If I do happen to go out, its to a chain restaurant. And I eat with one hand while the other hand blocks grabby hands, or shoves morsels into the kids gaping maw, or grabs silverware back, or retrieves things off the floor, or moves breakables out of harms way, or shakes a rattle, or wipes a dribbling chin.

I would kill for a 3 hour leisurely relaxing dining experience.

Her Bad Mother March 18, 2009 at 1:59 pm

The Any Key – you can still enjoy showers, and eating cookie dough. Just make sure it’s the pasteurized Pillsbury kind. And that the shower isn’t too hot ;)

Cindy March 18, 2009 at 2:04 pm

“They’re raisins, I said. Spicy cheese raisins.”

That is awesome.

I’m seconding kateypie35 with the nice restaurants and leisurely meals. Miss that…

Erica March 18, 2009 at 2:05 pm

As someone who will be married in a matter of weeks and wants to start having a family within the year, I will be taking this advice to heart (though I don’t forsee many naps until after the wedding, of course!).

Chrissy Johnson March 18, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I almost openly wept at the Buffy marathon day mention…big fat tears, too. Now I have to settle on things that we might want to watch together…Star Trek. Star Wars. But no Buffy, it might give him nightmares or something. One day, we’ll tell him what his name means (his name is Xander) and we’ll sit down and watch it together. Until then, it’s Empire Strikes back 500 times. And that’s when I’ll watch for a bit (because it is pretty awesome) and then take care of your # 2 (nap)…

MeganL March 18, 2009 at 2:08 pm

My husband and I are “trying”…..now I’m reconsidering. We may need an extra year to eat cookie dough and sleep.

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Oh, I so hear you on all of these things. I try to tell them to my friends all the time (but then they think I am complaining about how hard my life is. I’m not. I just want them to enjoy the things they have now.) I miss being able to go to the store without having to get a child ready, strapped into the carseat, taken out of the carseat, etc. etc. I will I had appreciated the ease of my life (does that make sense?) before I had to constantly consider another little person.

I also wish I would have appreciated my showers and would have tried to had more naps. Aw, sleep…

Jen @ Rolling Through Looneyville March 18, 2009 at 2:14 pm

1. Enjoy talking on the telephone without being interrupted every .2 seconds by some small person.

2. Really enjoy not having to be a short order cook on any occasion.

3. Watch TV all dang day long. The stuff that you’d feel uncomfortable having on if a kid was in the room.

4. Savor being able to take your good ole time on the toilet. BY YOURSELF.

5. This doesn’t pertain to everyone, but a lot of parents will agree: Enjoy being able to walk through the house when it’s dark and not step on some unidentified toy that’s trying to kill you.

6. Also, remember what it feels like to have a clean house. Remember how sometimes it feels like you don’t have a lot of time to keep it that way. And then realize that with kids it’s that feeling x100 and your house is still never clean.

7. Spontaneous plans. Wanna go to the movies? Sure! No acrobatics about finding a sitter, etc.

Kids are great, but yes… be ready to give up the small stuff. At least for the next 15 years. :)

nic March 18, 2009 at 2:18 pm

damnit why didn’t you post this BEFORE i had my child?! i’m soooo twittering this post. fabulous!

Sara March 18, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Yep, I whole-heartedly agree with this entire list. I think I’d add shaving my legs to the long hot shower item. There is never any time to shave legs when a baby is screaming on the other side of the bathroom door… I almost feel like a bad mom for so desperately wanting a day (or a week, or maybe two) off, but this would really be my dream vacation right about now…

G Love March 18, 2009 at 2:21 pm

For me, it’s go on a long bike ride/hike/swim/ exercise til your eyes pop out.

I’m not a running fanatic, but I miss the days of waking up on a weekend, enjoying a leisurely cup of joe with the husband, strapping on my running shoes, and heading for a nice long slow jog. Or swim. Hike. Bike Ride. I would take 2 hours, 3 hours, and then come home and soak in a bath, eat to quell my ravenous hunger, and feel so energized and fab. Before I got surprise pregnant I was training for a half marathon. Now I can’t do that because (a)I don’t have 2-3 hours for exercise, (b) I can’t be totally wasted in body anymore, I need energy to hold my enormously huge child, and (c) the nursing boobies hurt when they bounce!

I still run, but shorter jags. I take him sometimes, in a regular stroller (we don’t have a jogger,) or in a front pack on a hike (27 pounds – oof.) I still enjoy coffee with the hub, but in a “It’s your turn to get up and chase down the kid” kind of way. And much as I love finally having boobies, I’m ready to say goodbye to the C cups and hello to my little As. I NEVER THOUGHT I’D SAY THAT!

I miss sleep the most. It’s awful, the no sleep.

Bellamomma March 18, 2009 at 2:25 pm

1. I'm emailing my childless sister-in-law this link. She needs the heads up.

2. When Noodle was an infant she spent her days in daycare while Hubs & I both worked. Once he decided to work at home & then keep her at home with him – I mourned a little bit. While she was in daycare I could take a few mental health hours off of work, come home & lay on the couch for a bit. I could take a sick day & lay on my bum while the daycare center watched her. Granted it rarely worked, most of my sick days were spent at home with a sick child ~ but still. The option was at least THERE. Now I come to work sick as a dog just to get away from the needy children! Don't they know I'm sick?!?

I wouldn't trade my children for anything – but I would pawn them off on a grandma/aunt/cousin/hobo for a day just to lay on my couch & watch back episodes of Supernatural while eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie ice cream.

Pamela March 18, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Spicy cheese raisins. We have those at my house, too.

And I’d WAY take naps over Paris, at least for the next 10 years or so.

K.Line March 18, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Honestly – this is spot on. And, insanely, I have lived the cookie dough incident. Bizarre.

Sadie March 18, 2009 at 2:47 pm

The luxury of sitting satisfied in a clean house…and not just the 10 minutes before company comes. Before kids, I used to love spending an afternoon getting things really clean and then knowing that I had nothing left to do so I could indulge in any lazing about or cookie dough/beer/wine/cheese enjoyment, guilt free. Now I take the lazing about when I can get it and try to ignore the mess.

lorrielink March 18, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Ditto ditto ditto. to think of all the time i wasted pre-kid days. the freedom to lay about in bed with your hubby all day. tv show marethons. eating when where and what you wanted.

ill add: going to the bathroom alone (i have a two yr old)
    and: finishing a senten….

rhea_sun March 18, 2009 at 2:50 pm

My mom used to partially fill a coffee mug with chocolate chips and then nonchalantly drink her “coffee.” Pretty good trick till she was caught!

Sara March 18, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Accept spontaneous invitations. Appreciate it when you have to make the tough last-minute choice whether to go for sushi or to that cool modern dance troupe only in town for tonight. Do this on a work (school) night.

livinginagirlsworld March 18, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Wow, it really is the little things that you miss. Can I have the Caribbean cruise alone? Cuz that would pretty cool. But I would definitely take the lounging for a week over leaving the house.

VanderbiltWife March 18, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Trying not to howl with laughter from my office about the spicy raisin cheese. I have a 4-month-old, and all I got to say is Amen, sister. The times I’ve said to myself, “Wow, I wish I would have slept more/relaxed more/enjoyed not sitting in my office pumping my breasts” are innumerable.

Ms. Moon March 18, 2009 at 3:00 pm

As a mother of four whose children are all grown up, I still feel as if I am sinning when I do any of the things on that list, which is ridiculous! My God! I spent thirty something years raising those children, yes, 24/7.
    I think the thing I craved the most was time by myself. And now that I do get some of that, I realize how much I suffered from a lack of it when the children were at home, even when they were older.
    I luxuriate in solitude.

T with Honey March 18, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Can I get Lounge Week in the Caribbean? It sounds like exactly what this mama could use – if I wasn’t pregnant because what good is being in the Caribbean if you can’t drink the rum.

Add to the list:
    Being able to listen to what ever you want in the car.

A clean car interior. Seriously, I can’t keep the inside of our cars crumb and clutter free for more than 2.5 seconds.

Driving by McDonalds without fielding a request for a Happy Meal and dealing with subsequent pouting.

Emily March 18, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Enjoy eating meals with two hands. Try it sometime: scoot your plate away from you about six inches, hold a cat in your dominant hand, and try to eat with your opposite hand. It’s hard!

Also ditto the PPs who mentioned enjoying a nice, long, PRIVATE bathroom trip.

And taking your time at a nice restaurant. Order dessert, b/c there will come a time when you only get dessert on date nights, b/c any other time, you have to shovel down your supper and hurry out the door before your toddler flips the table over and eats the salt on the next guy’s table.

Hawkeyegirl March 18, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Just add being able to read whenever I want for however long I want to that list, along with being about to pick and travel whenever and whereever I want and you’ve got my top 12 reasons for chosing not to have children. Ok, it really was a long well thought out decision, but stuff like this played a major role in it.
    Great post, thanks!

Ali March 18, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Ah I love being a single parent — these are all the things I plan and do when the little one is at his dad’s! It only happens once a month but still, it’s brilliant! I recommend getting a divorce so you can ship the kids off to his house at the weekend!!

People ask me if I miss him when he’s away — God no, I’m too busy eating chocolate in the bath (filled with smelly things from Lush), staying up til 1am watching TV and sleeping ’til 11…

Kendra March 18, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I could not agree more. I miss not getting out of bed on Saturday until I’m darn good and ready to. I miss just lying in bed watching TV in on those mornings until I had to get up to go to the bathroom. I would definetely take a day for myself if I could just to veg out at home.

Anonymous March 18, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I think you pretty much covered it. You could have made it short and sweet and told the childless folk to stay in bed eating junk food and watching crappy television while you can, bathing optional. Aaaah, memories.

About a month ago, I was at my step mother’s house sans children and I spent 7 glorious hours in my pajamas, covered in blankets on her futon while eating mushroom pizza, drinking wine and watching season four of Weeds. It was glorious.

Magpie March 18, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I don’t know where to begin!

Though I have to say, I had my gall bladder out when the kid was three (and in daycare) and it was heaven. A week in bed. No lifting. Daddy stepped up to the plate.

a Chris March 18, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I just wanna say..quick, because the gremlin is starting to wake up…oops, she’s grumbling. Back in a min…

OK back. It’s true it’s tough. And I know I will learn more about tough because I only have one so far. But I wasted enough time before the babe, and saw things through the same-coloured lenses for a few years of adulthood. The years were spinning by. I hardly ever saw a sunrise (guess why I do see them now) and I didn’t get enough sleep simply because I was too dumb to go to bed.

This is a good list, and there will be many days when I feel its truth acutely. But if I didn’t have the gremlin to force the issue, I couldn’t be trusted to propel my life forward in new and interesting ways. I’d have been a perpetual adolescent, without the angst to make it seem meaningful.

My new challenge is to make sure she knows how to propel.

Spicy raisin cheese sounds pretty good to me. I wonder if there’s such an actual thing…

samantha marie March 18, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I miss being able to run errands by myself. It’s really difficult for me to go to the grocery store with a 4 year old tugging at my jacket and a 5 month old wailing to get out of his carseat.
    I also miss being able to sleep in until I wake up. Doesn’t necessarily need to be until noon, just until I get out of bed WITHOUT little hands lifting my eyelids to see if I’m awake back there, or my son screaming his head off and my husband dropping him on my chest asking me to please deal with it.

I do get alone time after the kids go to bed (see, 9pm), and then I can shower, lay around and watch something that’s not Baby Einstein, but at that point, it’s when I realize that I should go to bed, since I’ll have to be up at the crack of dawn.
    /sigh.
    Yeah.

Singin' Mama March 18, 2009 at 3:33 pm

One to add:

Leisurely shopping – I miss being able to take my time (i.e. perusing the tomatoes to pick the best ones, debating over which type of pasta to get). Now I find myself grabbing whatever is within arm’s reach just to get to checkout before my little monkey starts screaming.

Katie March 18, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Ok, one thing I have to add to this list is to enjoy BEING QUIET. Not like taking a vow of silence quiet. I mean, I wish I had enjoyed more the days where I did not have to spend every waking second singing a song, reading a rhyming book out loud, shushing a fussy baby, screaming “Watch out for the baby,” or admonishing various and sundry activities that big boys do not do in the house. Honestly, by the end of the day I hate the sound of my own voice.

mzchristine March 18, 2009 at 3:40 pm

My daughter is with her dad right now. Yesterday I drank wine with my girlfriend and watched movies. Today, I’m getting a haircut and going to bed early. I really wanted to be on my bed and eat junk food alone all night but my hair is ridic long and let’s be serious, you don’t have time to be keeping long hair as a mom! le sigh.

Her Bad Mother March 18, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I can’t believe that I forgot ‘enjoy a quiet, uninterrupted visit to the lavatory’. I may need to go add that one in.

Molly March 18, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I want to read a book from cover to cover without having to stop to answer questions or get anybody a yogurt or kiss a boo-boo. It’s not that I mind the questions or the yogurt or the boo-boos, it’s just that I can’t remember what uninterrupted reading felt like.

Wendy Tienken March 18, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Lounge Week wins, hands down. Even though I adore my children and spending time with them (funny that I even feel like I need to say that first), I feel like they have robbed me of my weekends. That special time when you don’t hve to go to work and can do anything you want. EXCEPT when you have kids. Only 16.5 years till they’re out of the house and I get my weekneds back to myself…but who’s counting!

Joy March 18, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I’d like to be able to finish anything! Be it a nap, dishes, or even getting fully dressed sometimes. (No time for socks today) I would love to be able to finish things once I’ve started. It would be great to be able to start loading the dishwasher and not be pulled away buy the “giant dirty diaper disaster” or if I do get pulled away to be able to go back where I left off. But nope! Once my daughter gets her fingers in me she won’t let go.

Jeni March 18, 2009 at 3:54 pm

What about being able to grab your wallet & keys & just GO somewhere? Whether it's shopping, or for a walk, or to the library, or whatever, kids turn everything into a major expedition. Simple errands take at least three times as long with kids along, and you end up schlepping a huge bag of the necessary kid supplies.

iMommy March 18, 2009 at 3:58 pm

TV. Movies. Internet time. Hours and hours of it, uninterrupted.

EmmieJ March 18, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Definitely travel. And not just because you don’t have to cart all the kids’ stuff around. Because IT’S CHEAP! Our family (2 adults + 2 kids) cannot step foot on an airplane for less than $1000.