A Jasper By Any Other Name

June 10, 2010

may skateboards etc 081We knew that Jasper was going to be Jasper for months before he was born. From the moment that we found out that he – hitherto referred to as Sprout – was going to be a he, he was Jasper. Jasper. It was a name for eccentric old English uncles, for suspender-wearing artists pottering about in skylit attics, for crusty old men with beards restoring boats and smoking pipes on pebble-strewn beaches, for boys in knee-britches chasing rabbits in heather fields. Jasper. I loved the name. I knew that it was his name with as much certainty as I’ve ever known anything.

My mother hated it. Oh, honey, she said when I told her. Oh, honey, really?

The lesson, don’t tell anyone what you’re planning on naming your child, hadn’t sunk in from my first pregnancy, when she pulled an oh honey no on Emilia’s original name, Theo. Really, Mom. And it’s not up for discussion.

But what will you call him for short?

– What does that matter, Mom? We’ll call him what we call him. Which, I thought, was a perfectly sensible response. After all, we couldn’t have guessed in advance that we’d refer to Emilia as Budge (my mother calls her Milly, Jasper calls her Maya, but she is and will always be, to her father and me, Budge or Budgie. And no, we do not know why. She just is Budge.) How could we know what we would call Jasper? That would sort itself out after he arrived.

Or not.

The obvious diminutive form of Jasper is ‘Jas’ or ‘Jazz’ – ‘Per’ doesn’t quite roll off the tongue – and we certainly sometimes call him that, but more often than not we simply spin silly variations on any word – or, as the case may be, non-word – that begins with a J. This sometimes takes a turn for the bizarre, and, very occasionally, the inappropriate.

J-Man.

Jizzer

Jizzburger

Joey.

Joomba.

Joombalaya.

Joo.

That last one caused a little confusion on a playdate the other week. Jasper was performing some of his usual acrobatics on a swingset and, in the process, ended up upside down in some sand, which prompted me to leap to my feet and yell something to the effect of oh, J-Man! Joey! My little Joo!

Which prompted my new friend to spin on the bench. Did you just call him your JEW?

Huh?

Are you Jewish?

What? Oh, god, no, it’s just… he’s… I sometimes call him… I call him lots of things… you know… like…

… and I swear to god, at precisely that moment my twisted, sleep-deprived mind could only think of Jazzer Arafat, which, you know, would only lead her to think that I have a really perverse outlook on peace in the Middle East, although that would have maybe been marginally better than telling her that I also sometimes call him Jizz.

At that moment I realized that, however irritated I had been by my mother’s early questions about Jasper’s name, she had been right about one thing: sometimes, the names don’t just sort themselves out. Sometimes, you have to give a little thought to what you’re going to holler across the playground. ‘Budge,’ Emilia’s nickname, has garnered some funny looks, but I doubt that it has caused anyone to question my politics, or my sanity. And when she’s sixteen and we’re still calling her that, she’ll roll her eyes at us and protest – just as I did when my mom called me Trinky in front of my friends (she still does this from time to time) – but it won’t really be all that embarrassing, and she’ll learn to appreciate it as the term of affection that it is. But Jasper, I am sure, is not going to want me shouting Jizzer! or Joo! at his football games or dance recitals. So.

jasper's b-day 248

Beware the Jibberwock

As I once said (and it seems such a very long time ago now), nicknames are special names, and they are always, by their very nature, “gibberish, gobbledygook, nonsense. Words that mean nothing, but which are nonetheless utterances of affection, expressions of love in our own private language.” All of the names that I, that we – my husband, Emilia and I – call Jasper are babbled utterances of love, and even though some of them lend themselves to misunderstanding, and all of them are nonsensical, and none of them have stuck, they are all exuberant expressions of how very much we love him, of how very, very, beyond-the-reach-of-ordinary-language special he is.

Still. We should probably restrict the use of Jazzer Arafat and JizzBomb to the yard.

You don’t need to tell me your nicknames for your kids, although I’d love it if you would. And, are there any names that you’ve had to restrict to private use? That the grandparents have looked at askance? That have caused funny reactions in the playground? Or am I the only one who should be consulting UrbanDictionary before I holler at my kid?

Lauren June 10, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Oh, how I love this post. I have a 7 month old girl, Nora, who is affectionately referred to as: Ms. N, The Nora Face, Nora Bug, Norval (Norv Turner reference…anyone?), Norval Redenbacher (because why not go all out), Norma, and a multitude of other things. I’m sure we have way more to come, considering we’ve only been at it for 7 months.

You’re not the only one. Trust me.

Catherine June 10, 2010 at 12:05 pm

@Lauren, NORVAL REDENBACHER. **LOVE**

So glad to know that I’m not alone. ;)
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..A Jasper By Any Other Name =-.

Cait June 11, 2010 at 1:25 pm

@Lauren, my cousin is named Nora and our grandfather called her Noriega or The Noraura Borealis. It took her until she was in her teens to figure out that Noriega was not necessarily the most appropriate nickname. But it is one of the memories of him I treasure.

Dr. Confused June 10, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Our girl is “Bops” or “Bop-she-bops” or “creature” or “person” or about a million different things.

She insists now on being called “A girl AND a monster.” If we just call her a girl we are corrected. Her daddy is allowed to call her “bug” but never “bugaboo.” I called her “sweetie pie” yesterday and had to repeated it thirty times because it was new to her.

One of my mother’s nicknames for me was “teety toots.” Not quite as bad as jizz, though.

Rhia June 10, 2010 at 12:12 pm

My 14 month Owen is O, The O-Dawg, Bunny, Bunnybean, Bean, Puddin’, Puddinpop, briefly PuddleDuck, O-bie, Muffintop, and whatever else comes out of my mouth when I am full of love…

Annika June 10, 2010 at 12:14 pm

We call Sam “Bammer,” which is not *that* weird but the way we got to it might be: I called him “Sam-bam thank you ma’am,” which turned into “Bam-bam,” which became “the Bammer.” Yeah.

So far Grace has been called Squeaky, Snuffleupagus, and Pie.
    .-= Annika´s last blog ..Snippets =-.

Catherine June 10, 2010 at 3:14 pm

@Annika, ‘Sam-bam-thank-you-ma’am’ *might* rival Jizz. Maybe.
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..A Jasper By Any Other Name =-.

Jessica June 10, 2010 at 12:15 pm

My daughter’s name is Charlotte and since, oh, about the time she was born, my husband and I have called her Monkey Moo. I don’t know why. She just IS a Monkey Moo.

When she was about six months old, we had to make a concerted effort to start calling her by her given name because she wouldn’t respond to Charlotte but would perk up if you called out for Monkey Moo.
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..So Very Wrong and Yet So Very Right… =-.

Peggy Brister June 10, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I have called my DS9 baby man since he was born and I call my DD10 either sissy or Missy Prissy.
    .-= Peggy Brister´s last blog ..What is METROSEXUAL? =-.

Miss Grace June 10, 2010 at 12:17 pm

My first computer I named Jasper.
    And I knew a Jasper (a girl) in college.
    .-= Miss Grace´s last blog ..Children’s Books =-.

Catherine June 11, 2010 at 3:23 pm

@Miss Grace, Jasper as a name for a girl is AWESOME.
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..A Jasper By Any Other Name =-.

mamatulip June 10, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I laughed so hard reading this post that I maybe, possibly, peed a little. I think this might go down in history as one of my favourite posts of yours.

When Julia was a baby we used to call her Little J, which, until we had her, was a codename for something else entirely, if you know what I mean.

I have a nickname for Oliver that I keep mainly in my head, though I have said it out loud from time to time: O, Liver!

Catherine June 10, 2010 at 8:02 pm

@mamatulip, why does the letter go there? I mean, why?
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..A Jasper By Any Other Name =-.

Catherine June 10, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Urgh, I mean the letter **J**. Why does the letter J lend itself so terribly and obviously to that J-biz?

Or whatever.
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..A Jasper By Any Other Name =-.

Carrie June 10, 2010 at 12:18 pm

My nickname as a child was pookie or pookie bear. I hated it.

FOr my own kids their names do allow for nicknames. Victoria can be shortened of course to Vicky but I HATE THAT NICKNAME and refuse to use it. My FIL does it to bug me. I call her Miss V, monster, muffin, typical stuff.

My youngest is Amelia so her sister calls her Mia and sometimes A-mia. She also gets the monster nickname :)
    .-= Carrie´s last blog ..When the treatment is worse than the complaint =-.

Helena June 10, 2010 at 4:40 pm

@Carrie, I’ve heard Victoria shortened to Torie before.

Carrie June 10, 2010 at 4:53 pm

@Helena, actually my daughter referred to herself as Toria when she couldn’t quite pronounce her name :) I like the nickname Tori but it always reminds me of Tori Spelling :p
    .-= Carrie´s last blog ..When the treatment is worse than the complaint =-.

Catherine June 10, 2010 at 8:03 pm

@Carrie, I love the name Tori/Tory/Torrie. Except, you know, that whole Spelling connection.
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..A Jasper By Any Other Name =-.

Karianna June 10, 2010 at 12:18 pm

My older son’s name begins with an “A” so we sometimes just call him “A” – but this means I get into trouble when I spout off my affection with things like: “You are A! A is filled with love; you are full of A-ness. I love my A-ness!”
    .-= Karianna´s last blog ..Lensbabied Daisies =-.

Custom Toy Portraits June 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I knew I had better stop calling my Sonja “Little Fatty Face” before she was able to put in cultural context, but it was SO HARD. Also trying to refrain from “Sonja Balogna.”

Catherine June 10, 2010 at 8:04 pm

@Custom Toy Portraits, my thinking is, why resist it? That’s the joy of kids. I mean, eventually you have to pull it back, but still. I love Sonja Balogna.
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..A Jasper By Any Other Name =-.

Issa June 10, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I love this. Ha. My kids have had a million nicknames. My oldest is the only one who won’t tolerate it anymore. Which was a sad day. We’d been calling her Beanie for five years, when she made us stop. It was hard to stop. Now I can call her Chipmunk, but only at home and only if she’s in a good mood. Yeah, she’s um…particular. ha. Oh, she will answer to Sissy, when her siblings say it. Which they do almost non-stop, unless they are angry and then they suddenly remember she has a real name.

We call my middle one, Noodle. She’s had a ton of nicknames over the years, starting with Squishy as a newborn. But Noodle seems to have stuck. She also answers to little sister. Because I’m original like that.

My son is Bubs, Bubbie, little boy or Smoosh, all of which he answers too.

The last two times, I’ve stuck by the don’t tell anyone the name until birth. Mostly because when i told people I was naming my oldest Maya (real name alert), people thought I was smoking crack or something. That I’d pulled it outta my ass or had made it up. The things I heard were not things one should say to a hormonal woman, so the second and third times I pretended to not have decided. Was easier.
    .-= Issa´s last blog ..Re-definining camping =-.

Procrastamom June 10, 2010 at 12:21 pm

My Mom protested LOUDLY when we announced that we would be naming our second daughter Andie. (“Not Andrea? At least give her a girl’s name!”) When she was about a week old, Mom admitted that we couldn’t have named her anything better. She said she looked like an Andie, and she has for the last fourteen years.

And I laughed at your Budge nickname for Emilia, because that’s our son Adam’s nickname. Budgie, Budge, Budge-a-man.

Catherine June 11, 2010 at 3:24 pm

@Procrastamom, high fives for Budge!
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..A Jasper By Any Other Name =-.

Nick June 10, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Emmett gets Em, Emmie (although I think sometimes at the park it sounds like I’m calling a girl), Emmie-Roo. That sort of thing.

The middle child (Eden) is interesting because from birth my son, husband and I started calling her Edsy-P (i’m not even sure how to spell it because I think the spelling sounds different than how we say it). Friends and family started to pick up on it but kind of got it wrong. I hear them saying E-Z P -which is not how we say it but that is now a nickname too. and btw P does not start her middle name so it’s totally random.

The last child mostly just gets Harpy shortened from Harper. But what’s weird is that instead of giving her something shorter we tend to call her by her full name. Harper Lily Margaret! and we sing it -operatically (no one can sing opera here so it’s painful)

I love nicknames.

Michelle June 10, 2010 at 12:38 pm

My son’s name is Jasper too. He’s 11. We call him Jas and Jasper. I love the name.

Melissa June 10, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Her name is Ruth and I cringe at Ruthie. We tend toward “half-pint” as a nickname because that’s what my Dad called her the first time he saw her.

Miss Tricky June 10, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I LOVE this post! My son’s name is Jann (pronounced Yon) which my entire family was up in arms about before his birth. “Everyone’s going to call him Jan” (they do. Once.) “How can you nickname that?” Turns out, pretty easily. For some unknown reason he’s been ‘Boogerbutt’ since he was about 3 days old, bubie, boop, buckethead, pumpkin munchkin, bunnyface and now mostly just bunny. I guess I should have given him a B name?
    .-= Miss Tricky´s last blog ..Mr. President? You’re going to have to let this one slide. =-.

Diana June 10, 2010 at 12:47 pm

My poor, tortured 13 year old son is called ‘Babykitty’ by me and (sometimes) ‘monchichi’ by his father. I’m not really sure how either got started, but he hates it. I’m always carful to just call him ‘Billy’ around his friends, or he would never forgive me.

Lindsay June 10, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Love this post!!

My daughter has many of the usual nicknames, sweet pea, munchkin, silly willy, etc., but mostly I call her Caelen Ellen punkin butt. Kinda long, I know, but it just seems to fit!

My son has more interesting nicknames, all of which he answers too (his name is Dylan Douglas B.). DD (which looks great on paper, but sounds like Dee Dee), Dil (like pickle), and crazy man. I really try to just call him by his given name in public!

Issa June 10, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Because my first comment wasn’t long enough…I have noticed that I start out with a long weird nickname for my kids that makes no sense. Like TooTooTotty, which came about one drunken night. Which then gets shortened to TooTooTot, then TooToty, then tot. It makes no sense and eventually it goes away, until the next random nickname.

But hey, I’m saving for their future therapy fund, so it’s all good, right?
    .-= Issa´s last blog ..Re-definining camping =-.

Neen June 10, 2010 at 12:54 pm

My oldest, Riley who’s now 18, has been Bunky, Bunk, Ri’s a by, and most often now, just plain Ri.

My second Connor (16), has been Connor-Johnner-Bonner-Boo, Bonner-Boo, Boodalair, Con, Con-man, and Joe (he still gets called Boo and Joe).

My daughter Hope (3) is Hopie, Hopie-doodle, Doodle-Bug, Doo, and often Miss Mouse.

My youngest is Henry (21 months) and he’s Henry-Bear or just Bear, and Mister Mouse.

(And yes, I sometimes still my 18 year old 6 foot, 180 lb son Bunky. Just not in public.)

Neen June 11, 2010 at 3:03 pm

My 16 year old just read this and reminded me that I forgot a bunch. Like Ri was “The Toad-man” and still gets called Toadie, and he was “Turtle, Turtle” and that we’re pretty sure that Henry thinks his name is “baby”.
    Also, that since Hope found out his whole name is Connor John, she’s started calling him John Connor. Since she hasn’t seen “Terminator” and we have, we’re wondering if she knows something we don’t.

Candace June 10, 2010 at 1:13 pm

My son’s name is Quintin. For some reason, when he was about 6 months or so, I started calling him Buddha. That’s what he is. He’s either Quintin or Buddha. I even have a little Buddah tattoo for him. My other son, Roman, however does not have a nickname. I thought something might just seem right like Buddha did, but it hasn’t. My MIL calls him Romie (not a fan at all), my husband calls him RoRo sometimes. I call him Roman. Or my ‘jolly happy soul’. I’m not a fan of shortening first names. I try to pick names that can’t be shortened. I know we could call Quintin, Quin, but we don’t. My husband does sometimes. I love the name Jasper!
    .-= Candace´s last blog ..More rain =-.

Sara June 10, 2010 at 1:13 pm

My friends son is Jasper – and is the J-Man….great, wonderful name.

I named my son Will so he couldn’t have any nicknames – wrong… I call him P. Yeah I know – I have no fucking idea why.

My sister calls him the schmookmeister or the schmook for short. My nephew calls him Willski…again for no apparent reason but we love it.

The only people who can call him Willy are people who have left sizeable sums of dough to him in a will.
    .-= Sara´s last blog ....So yeah, it was all about that bbq tied to the tree… =-.

Jennifer Martin June 10, 2010 at 1:19 pm

When our daughter Clara (now 4 3/4) was born she was all curled up and red(as most new borns are). This reminded my husband of a kidney bean. From that day on she has been affectionately called “Clara Bean” , “The Bean” or “Bean” by everyone. On her first day of kindergarden this fall, when someone asked her what her last (second) name was. She replied with “Bean”

Our 7 year old son, Jacob has 2 nick names. The first is Jaco-Bakeo (originated by my husband). The second is “Bub” When Jacob was first talking he would introduce himself as “J-bub”.

sueinithaca June 10, 2010 at 1:21 pm

my older is Lily. We call her Peanut. When she was a baby, she was fat. f.a.t. She looked a bit like two peanuts in a shell. She’s now 5 and kind of hates it, and yet i persist. I cannot stop myself from calling her peanut. SOme girl on the playground called her Lily of the Valley once and she about blew her top. I had a hard time getting offended by that one.

my younger is Wolfgang (cue familial eye-rolls). He has a lot of nicknames – he is a very silly person (his sister is a very serious person). Mostly, we call him Wolfie or Doodle (or doodlebug). He’s also knows and Wolfman, Bubba, Bubba ganoush (cuz you just want to eat him up), and Bug. And probably a dozen other things, too. He prefers to call himself Glob of Mud, but only when he’s fighting monsters (but not baby monsters. they may live another day).

Violet June 10, 2010 at 1:21 pm

My daughter gets Stringbean and Babaganush from my husband (no idea where the second one comes from!), and Punkinhead and Babydoll from me.

My son gets Bug from me (love bug, stink bug) mostly; or Buddy, Sweetie Pie, or Sunshine. Some of which have been picked up by his sister. Very funny to hear my 4-year old saying “here’s your juice sweetheart”.

Funny – she’s Alexandra because I liked Alex as a nickname, but she’s Allie. Just not an Alex. And he’s Justin Tyler, and we planned on JT – we’ve never called him that once.

Rhonda S June 10, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Jazzer Arafat and JizzBomb . . . hahahahaha . . . giggle . . . snort.

My kids are Kevin, Jacob and Katie. And that’s what I call them. Because I’m, you know, TIRED from dealing with three kids who are 18, 14 and 6. They really consider themselves lucky when I manage to match the right child with the correct name when I’m talking to them. Also, I lack imagination and whimsy. And I’m TIRED.

Neen June 11, 2010 at 2:28 pm

@Rhonda S,
    Do you ever go through the whole list and stop when you get to the right kids name? I’m the youngest of five and my Dad used to do that all the time. You’d get the first syllable of everybodies name until he got to yours! So, I got to hear “Be,Rhon,John,Kris, JANINE!” Whenever I got in touble. Giggle!
    Unfortunately, I do it to my 4 kids too! “Ri,Con,Hope, HENRY!”
    (and double yeah on the “would you please just let Mommy SLEEP!” When the little ones go to sleep on time, the older one goes to the bar with his friends and I can’t sleep until he gets home. Crap.)

poosemommy June 14, 2010 at 2:51 am

@Neen, My grandmother always “called the roll” when my dad was growing up “John-David-Bobby-Don” or “somebody-anybody-EVERYBODY”.
    .-= poosemommy´s last blog ..Oh, the Horror! =-.

Mc June 10, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Although our son isn’t out yet, we’ve come up with a variety for Jack. Among them are: White Speck, Appleseed, Kicky McGuillicutty, Tiny Fry, Bubba, and Fats Domino. I also use DJ Jazzy J in private, so it’s good to know that I’m not the only one. I’m interested to see what we’ll be calling him after he comes out.

poosemommy June 14, 2010 at 2:55 am

@Mc, we started calling our youngest “The Papoose” while I was pregnant, which became Papoose, which is now Poose or The Poose(he just turned 4). I can see it on high school sports jerseys now: THE POOSE across his back.
    We did have to explain to his bubba that calling him “Poose-y” was not a good plan, just stick to Poose.
    BTW, try looking that one up in the Urban Dictionary!
    .-= poosemommy´s last blog ..Oh, the Horror! =-.

Mamanoodle June 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Bizzy is the boys main nickname and Boopy is the baby girls. I am pretty sure she thinks that is her real name! Oops!!

Ashley June 10, 2010 at 1:44 pm

My daughter, Madison, gets Madi from her Dad. I hate it. Loved it in the beginning, but he wanted to spell it Matty. No chance.

I call her Boo Boo, Sweetie, Peaches, and anything else that might come to mind. I called someone else Sweetie the other day and Madison (who is almost 4) looked at me and said “Mommy! I thought I was your sweetie!!”

My mom and grandmother call her Squirt. My grandfather (who is really more like my father) looked at her when she was born and declared that she “was as cute as a button!” Button has stuck. If you ask her what her name is she will tell you “It’s Madison. But you can call me button like my Bampie does”. And yes, she calls him Bampie. Adorable!!!

BTW- I love this post!!

Wendy June 10, 2010 at 1:45 pm

My son is Miles but we call him either Bobo or Zzz Bobo. I have no idea where either of those came from. But he really is the best Bobo around. We are the only ones who call him that. My sister calls him Muffin (why? I do not know) and my mother never calls him anything because she hates his name.

Beth June 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Our nicknames for our Emma are not all that creative, but I’m posting here because they’re beginning to annoy her 11-year-old self, which is kind of delightful. Even in the womb, we called her Emma-Bear. So her nicknames have been variations of Bear: Li’l Bear, Bear Cub, Bear, Bear-Bear, Sweet Bear, Bearie-Bear. She rolls her eyes at them now, especially Li’l Bear, which I’m not allowed to call her even in private anymore. But I do.

Cassie June 10, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Colin is 10, to me and my mom he still is Cally. Carson is 7, he’s Bub (shortened from Bubby). Colin started calling him Bubby when he was 3 days old and it’s stuck. I love nicknames.

daysgoby June 10, 2010 at 2:03 pm

My boy Cassidy is Cass, Casserole, the Cassman, Dee Double D, Casbah, and Beau (because he is my beau)and my mom called him Little Bits (because even though she suggested Cassidy, she never really liked it,(??) and so called him by a nickname.)

Rosemary is Rosey, Posey, Little Bird, Bitsy (Mom again, although she liked her name) and Chickadee.

(Our dog is Jasper. HIS nicknames are Haspa, The Large Brown Lump and YOUR Dog. I’m not sure any of these would work for your cherub.)
    .-= daysgoby´s last blog ..sweet child of mine =-.

Cora June 10, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Our son’s name is Nicholas but he goes by Nick in school which we (his mom, dad, and me his stepmom) hate. When I met him when he was 4 he used to correct everyone who called him Nick. I guess times change. His dad and I call him Doody-head. Also, not the greatest, but it’s always said with love.

Jenny June 10, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I have a Jasper Thomas on the way. I’m due July 3rd and he’s named after his late great-grandfather (paternal) whom they called “Jappy”, I’m just not sure that’s PC anymore. So, we’re going to try and steer towards “Jack”, his late great-grandfather’s name (maternal) but J.T. seems to be sticking. Of course you just don’t know until he is here.

My daughter Daniella aka Ella, will of course despise “Puny” when she is 16 and I get funny looks from folks at the grocery when I call her “Punk” which is short for Punkin.

Your Jasper is adorable.
    .-= Jenny´s last blog ..Apron Strings =-.

alison June 10, 2010 at 2:24 pm

my 4-year-old’s name is josette. we usually just call her josie. we have a million nicknames for her, but my husband mostly calls her jose (yes, spanish). she has blond hair, blue eyes, and is not a boy, or hispanic. we live in a city with many hispanic people, and my husband has no problem calling her that, loudly, at a park, with people everywhere.

cagey (Kelli Oliver George) June 10, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Peanut Butter Anjali and Arun Macaroon. Unfortunately, not much rhymes with “Anjali” but naming our son Arun MORE than made up for it silly rhyming names. And sometimes, he DOES smell like a baboon or a lagoon. Shoe fits, dude – wear it.
    .-= cagey (Kelli Oliver George)´s last blog ..Islands in the stream of consciousness. =-.

Robin (noteverstill) June 10, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I call my oldest Booshker and I couldn’t begin to tell you why, or what it means. (It doesn’t sound anything like her rather classic/ordinary name.) She’s 4 and if she’s mad at someone for saying something descriptive about her, usually innocuous but she’ll get offended just by people talking about her, she’ll yell out: “I’m not cute! I’m Booshker!”
    Try explaining that one to the innocents.
    .-= Robin (noteverstill)´s last blog ..Pollen and the scent of honeysuckle =-.

Asa's Mummy June 10, 2010 at 3:20 pm

We didn’t tell anyone our name choices either, and we didn’t know until he was born that he would be a “he”. We told everyone that if it was a boy, we’d call him Obadiah, and if it was a girl, Hepzibah. It got a lot of the horror out of the way, and no one said anything when we named him Asa.

We usually do call him Asa, or Ace if we’re in a hurry, but our love-names for him are numerous: Asa-Bean, Asa-Boo (which I sometimes shorten to Saboo), Goober, Disaster-Boy, Petit Monstre… it all depends on the moment.
    .-= Asa’s Mummy´s last blog ..Nowhere is Safe =-.

Amy K June 10, 2010 at 3:23 pm

My 15-month-old daughter is called Nay Nay, The Nay, Big Nay, or sometimes Bebe Nay Nay because she used to shout “Nay, nay, nay!” when she was protesting some sort of terrible baby injustice (wet diaper, boob not appearing in front of her mouth quickly enough, that sort of thing).

jennie w. June 10, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I have a Jasper and we occasionally call him JazzyJuJu. Maybe that negates the “jew” association.

I also have a York. Love that name, as does my son (he’s 13) but man, oh man, are there some bad nicknames out there! York the Dork, Porkie Yorkie (good thing he’s skinny), not to mention it rhymes with Fork, Cork, and a lot of other dumb things. It’s brutal.
    .-= jennie w.´s last blog ..I’ve got nothing =-.

Jennifer June 10, 2010 at 3:37 pm

When he was a baby, I called him Shnooks. Sometimes I call him Bug. Hey, Bug!
    Sometimes “Michael, Michael, motorcycle” just to tease him.

Kelly B. June 10, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Our daughter’s name is Wren (which my mom protested by saying she’d end up an old lady in a nursing home and everyone would think she was a old buzzard and not a pretty wren… talk about brutal!)
    Anyway.. she hopped out a Wren and the name fits although it gets morphed into other things – Wrennie, Wrennieroo, Wrennikin Skywalker, Wrennie B, Wrenniebean, Bubee, and WrennieBob (a twist on grandpa’s nickname for her dad, Naterbob). My mom abandons it all and just calls her by some confectionary sweet – cupcake, sugar cookie, cookiedoodle, puddin, pud (by which we’ve gotten some weird looks and a few questions).
    And then sometimes I get mixed up and call her by the cat’s name, Rosie.

MamaMonster June 10, 2010 at 4:00 pm

All my kids have gone by Peanut, Punkin, pee-wee, etc.

My oldest is GabeBabe, Big Gabe, G-Man, The Gabbler, and Gabbles, though he hates the last one.

My second son Niall is Ni-bye, Ni-bo, Monkey-Man, Monkey-Toes.

My daughter Katie Rose is Katie-Bug, Katie-Doodle, Doodle, Rosebud, Rosie-Posie or Bubbles.

The new one (though we have a name picked out) is just Peanut, Bean, or Burrito. We’ll have to wait until she’s born to see whatever nicknames pop up.
    .-= MamaMonster´s last blog ..Re-Reading and No Writing =-.

Liz June 10, 2010 at 4:11 pm

My oldest, Meredith, is Boogie. BoogShnoog, Shnoogety-Boogety, Boogie-Lou, Boogieshnots. And, when I’m feeling all emotionally invested in the “nuggle time”, she’s MereBear.

My youngest, Madelynn, is Sibbit. Sibbaroo, Roo, Sibbaroni, Sib. I came up with “Itty Bitty Sibling” as reason for the nickname, but the truth is that we just call her that. Not because of anything or anyone, we just call her that. We. just. do.

As a classic Elizabeth, I have always been affectionately referred to as Biz. Truth be told, it’s my favorite name. :0)
    .-= Liz´s last blog ..Everyone Should Have A Picture Of Their Boob Smooshed Against The Bicep Of A New Kid On The Block =-.

Chrissy June 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I think you should ALWAYS call him JizzBomb. Esp. in the supermarket, and especially if you’re not wearing a bra and are chewing gum and drinking a Yoohoo. Always.

I knew a little boy named Jasper in my youth. He was my friend Queenie’s (yes her real name)little brother. He was one of those unique souls you know has never been around the world before; they were from Hong Kong, and he used to speak in this lovely pidgin Cantonese/English and knew extraordinarily long words for a six year old. So whenever I see the name Jasper, I think of that sweet little soul. I LOVE that name.

My son’s name is Xander, short for Alexander (tho we’ve never called him that). We call him “X” in emails and letters but he’s always Xander. A friend of ours calls him “Al”, which I love.
    .-= Chrissy´s last blog ..Theresa is raising her hand. =-.

Faith June 10, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Ray-zilla (from Rachel) because she has morphed from the sweet little lamb she was at birth to this little tyrant who wreaks destruction wherever she goes.

Elizabeth June 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Love this post, and all the nicknames you have for Jasper! My 17 month old is Andrew, but we call him all sorts of names. Anders, Andy, Mister, we even refer to him as ‘The Boy’ but in a loving way! Other names include Andy-roo, Poobum, little man, sweetie-pie, and one of my faves is Anderson Pooper!

I’m 30 and my parents still call me ‘Banch’ – it’s what I called myself before I could say my name, and it stuck. They’ll still call out ‘Banch’ to me if we’re out at a store together, and I bet people DO think what a strange name that is, but I don’t really think twice about it. It is what it is, and I think it’s special to have those secret understandings with your immediate family!
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..Row, row, row your boat… =-.

Dawn June 10, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Great story about my eldest child’s nickname. When I was a few months pregnant, I was standing outside on evening with my three year old niece, looking up at the stars. She pointed to one and told that it’s name was Tookey Dook. (long o sounds). I laughed and repeated the name to her and we shared a giggle together. Fast forward a few more months to my hospital room after giving birth. Someone brought the same niece back to see me and the new baby. She climbed up onto the bed, arranged herself carefully next to me, leaned down and kissed the new baby on the forehead. Then with the biggest smile ever she said, ” See Aunt Dawn? I told you it was Tookey Dook and now she’s here! The entire family has called my child Tookey for 16 years now.

(Note: Now that the terrible teens have arrived, I do occasionally refer to her as Bette Davis now.)
    .-= Dawn´s last blog ..How to pack the whole world in a Ziplock bag =-.

{ 1 trackback }