November 1, 2010

her bad monsters

No, Emilia is not dressed as Jesus. That would have been pretty funny, but I still have enough of a hangover from years of being raised Catholic that I would worry about being smited (smote?) (smitten?) for impiety. She was a cave girl, via Jasper’s Bam Bam costume, which he rejected in favor of last year’s ill-fitting fireman costume accessorized with his sister’s bright pink ankle socks, a choice that we didn’t understand until we witnessed him devote two-thirds of his trick-or-treating schedule to systematic jack-o-lantern safety inspections at every house in the neighborhood (“ooh, Mommy,” he’d say, kneeling by a particularly brightly lit gourd, “PUMPKIN. TOO HOT.” Then he’d try to blow it out.) Clearly, he had a mission, and so he wasn’t so much donning a costume as he was putting on a uniform and pursuing a vocation. We never did figure out the pink socks, but I think that that choice is best left unexamined.

Anyway, yeah: Emilia went as a cave girl, but ended up looking more like a very tiny Jesus with blunt-cut bangs and a leftover steak bone shoved in his robe belt, which is, I imagine, exactly how Jesus rolled. But you didn’t hear that from me.

/looks anxiously at the heavens.

(I dressed up as the ladies of the YummyMummyClub dressed up as me, because, you know, what’s not awesome about meta-costuming?)

(I also dressed up liked this for the Blissdom Canada costume/karaoke party. I’m thinking about adopting it as my regular look, because, seriously, I think that it’s just ME.)

karengreeners November 1, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Well, since my sisterwives were busy with their own kids, I went as a more appropriate witch. I took out a cowgirl and a dragon. My husband stayed home with the other 12 kids, and I believe it was Emma’s night, so I’ll see him tomorrow ;)
    .-= karengreeners´s last blog ..Goodbye- Mel Gibson =-.

Catherine November 1, 2010 at 6:42 pm

@karengreeners, did the dragon breathe fire? because Jasper wouldn’t have stood for that.
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..Obligatory Post-Halloween Costumed Offspring Photos And Random Thoughts On Pumpkins And Impiety =-.

Kait November 1, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Seriously best mom ever right here – we went yesterday afternoon to buy Halloween costumes right before trick or treating. My two year old was devastated that they didn’t have a batman costume that fit her so I conned her in to being Ariel. Hey! It fit! And she liked it!
    .-= Kait´s last blog .. =-.

Catherine November 1, 2010 at 6:44 pm

@Kait, we cobbled together costumes at 6pm last night. So. RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.

Nadia November 1, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I went as me, ’cause you know I’m a one and only. No, really it’s because I forgot to get a costume, and then by the time I realized it was Halloween (I kid you not), it was too late.

Kids went as Cinderella and a little lamb. Too cute for words!

Susanna K. November 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm

My kids were a ninja (many of my older neighbors had to ask him what he was) and a wizard. I skipped the costume for trick-or-treating, but at a party the night before, I went as the ninja’s mom/sensei: dad’s old kimono + a pair of shiny black jazz pants.
    .-= Susanna K.´s last blog ..superflippy- 3000 50 ! 6000 I need coffee =-.

Roberta November 1, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Photo is right at the top: “She’s a witch!” And I’m pretty sure she does weigh more than a duck now.
    .-= Roberta´s last blog ..Monday miscellany =-.

Catherine November 1, 2010 at 6:45 pm
    a November 1, 2010 at 3:27 pm

My daughter wanted to be a “spooky house” – I must have done a decent job on her costume because everyone said she looked like a haunted house. Then she would correct them. I went in my usual costume: harried and irritable mom.
    .-= a´s last blog ..Complete =-.

Catherine November 1, 2010 at 9:36 pm

@a, funny, I’m wearing that costume right now.

Her Bad Mother November 1, 2010 at 9:41 pm

please tell me you have pictures. I would love to see pictures. (jasper almost went as a birthday gift – his birthday suit, ha ha ha – but we couldn’t get him to stay in the box.)

BethB November 1, 2010 at 5:41 pm

My spouse went as the Big Bad Wolf in grandma’s “nightie” and I went as, um, something like Little Red Riding Hooker which involves a bit of red-check gingham and lots of fishnet. Which is why you should never, ever, ever let your spouse be in charge of choosing Halloween costumes. Ever.

Next year, I am going as an age-appropriate cougar accessorized by three hot 20 year olds. I am saving now to pay them for the night’s work.

The kiddo was a far more appropriate Super Girl, albeit a pink, sparkly version. But, it’s progress from Princess-land. And I will take it.
    .-= BethB´s last blog ..Wicked Good Pumpkin Soup =-.

Her Bad Mother November 1, 2010 at 9:41 pm

where does one buy oneself a posse of hot young men? is there a store for that? MAN MART?

klepto55z November 1, 2010 at 6:47 pm

How does this tie to one of the other posts? Maybe I’m slow… because I could’ve been on a differnet blog. lol Nevermind. At any rate, it was a solid post. Bye

T. Saunderson

Elissa November 1, 2010 at 9:04 pm

When I saw Emilia in the picture, my first thought was ‘Jedi’. Maybe you can run with that to avoid the smiting… :)

Catherine November 1, 2010 at 9:37 pm

@Elissa, oooh, Jedi. But doesn’t that raise questions of how New Testament influenced Star Wars really was? And make things more confusing? And, also: how to explain the steak bone?

Elissa November 1, 2010 at 9:58 pm

@Catherine, I didn’t see the steak bone. Maybe it’s a camouflaged lightsaber? As for question one… I’m not really qualified to answer that, from either end :P

Catherine November 2, 2010 at 10:46 am

@Elissa, if it’s camouflage, it’s really good – not to say, really Cronenbergian – camouflage.

JustMom420zaks November 1, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Totally Jedi Jesus.
    Just saying.
    .-= JustMom420zaks´s last blog ..The Entire 8 Seconds =-.

kelly @kellynaturally November 2, 2010 at 10:30 am

Okay, I went as an 80s chick. And was suprizingly comfortable. Which says something about me… I guess. Um. :-/
    Husband went as a preppy pirate.
    Kids went as Sitting Bull & Princessly-ghostly-princess-ghost. Oh the things you can do with cheese cloth.
    .-= kelly @kellynaturally´s last blog ..Changing Education Paradigms =-.

Anna November 2, 2010 at 10:52 am

I thought she was a Jedi!

klcrab November 2, 2010 at 11:33 am

you should probably know a couple of things first, Halloween is my husband’s birthday… he turned 60 this year and he is a political wonk. I threw a surprise party for him and came dressed as the senator he is working to unseat. The look on his face was priceless!

are vampires real November 2, 2010 at 9:28 pm

My good friend told me he’s a vampire but i don’t know if i need to believe him or not.

Amy November 3, 2010 at 9:22 am

My four year old decided she was going to be a princess weeks ago, so I made her a cape and we rounded up other needed accessories. She wore that to her preschool party last Tuesday, but when it was time to dress up for our big party with friends, she decided that costume was too itchy. So she pulled a bunch of stuff out of the dress-up clothes and was a “love fairy” that spread love with her wand that had a heart at the end of it. BUT when it was time for trick-or-treating, she decided to wear the plushy cozy bug costume she wore when she was one. It still (almost) fit!

I am a science teacher and went as the periodic table to school, but then a witch for the party Saturday night. Which I regret because my friend’s 17-month-old whacked me in the eyeball with my witch’s hat and now I’m putting ointment on it every three hours.

Sara D November 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm

My 6 month baby girl hoots like an owl, like, all day. Maybe it sounds more like a baby pigeon… In any case, I made her an owl costume with feathers and felt. I think it turned out spectacularly! Even better than the Martha Stewart pattern online.. hahaha (though it was cute too) Anyways Baby didn’t really enjoy it that much:

kids locator November 14, 2010 at 6:07 pm

all i know? is that it is off the bourne movies, dnt remember the name but you can prolly find it in the credits

{ 2 trackbacks }