Mama Only Wishes She Had Moves Like This

June 7, 2011

When I said, as I did the other day, that I cannot imagine telling the story of my family’s life or narrating my experience of motherhood without the use of photographs and video, this is the kind of thing that I had in mind. This is what I can’t imagine doing without. Videos like the one above tell you more about Jasper, more efficiently, in images than I could ever tell you in words. I think.

I mean, I could describe to you, in words, his popped collar and his deck shoes and the fact that he reminds one, a little, of Kevin Bacon in Footloose, if Kevin Bacon were three feet tall and Footloose had been filmed in the ladies’ restroom at an East Side Marios. I could find some pretty good adjectives to describe his peculiar little hip-shimmy and his clever little foot shuffle, and I could probably describe, decently well, the way that music – ‘Say It Isn’t So,’ by Hall & Oates, which, really, is a diabolically ear-wormy little tune – bounced off the bathroom tiles and echoed throughout the room and made me feel as though I was hiding out from my junior prom, if I’d attended my junior prom with a dancing three year old in tow.

But I don’t need to describe those things to you, because you can just click on that little arrow in the video above, and see and hear it all for yourself. Note, too, that this video serves to demonstrate – in a manner than I know I could not accomplish in mere words – that I am, in fact, the sort of mother who videotapes her children dancing in public restrooms.

Colleen June 7, 2011 at 1:23 pm

While we would enjoy your wordy post… we wouldn’t enjoy it NEARLY as much as we enjoy actually SEEING him shimmy and shuffle.
    : )

Jessica June 7, 2011 at 1:40 pm

So adorable. I wonder if they’d consider doing a remake with pre-schoolers? Jasper’s at least as good a dancer as Kevin Bacon.

Her Bad Mother June 9, 2011 at 8:48 am

@Jessica, a preschooler remake of Footloose would be the greatest thing EVER.

Jules June 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm

THAT is awesome! Too cute!

hayley June 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm

He rocks. Maybe I can set him up with my two-year-old daughter who likes to dance (and sing) to Lady Gaga’s “Telephone?” I think you’ve inspired me to show some footage.

Alexicographer June 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm

What a charmer.

Tina C. June 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm

how do these boys start out with moves and grooves and rhythm and willingness to dance and then lose it??? such a cultural tragedy.

Her Bad Mother June 9, 2011 at 9:01 am

@Tina C., right? I will cry when he loses these moves. as he inevitably will.

Tina C. June 9, 2011 at 10:27 am

@Her Bad Mother, i am determined to maintain their groove for dancing. since i am raising them to be like the boyfriend i always wanted to have, dancing is a MUST. :) p.s. sorry, not on twitter.

Becky June 9, 2011 at 10:53 am

@Tina C., so glad you’re raising the boyfriend you always wanted; my mother-in-law did that very thing and I’ll be forever grateful! ;)

off-topic: I heard a Kohl’s commercial this morning that referenced honeybadgers.

ashley12334 June 12, 2011 at 5:35 pm

@Tina C., raising the boyfriend you always wanted? How lucky that girl he’ll be soon with.. And it’s not you! LOL!

Jasmine June 8, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Jasper seems like a really cool kid!

Melissa E. June 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm

He is a great dancer! You’re right about video really adding something to a blog that you can’t get any other way. :)

My little boy loves to dance, too, but I’m sure he’ll magically start dancing like a white boy in a few years.

Moms in Boyland June 8, 2011 at 10:59 pm

My favorite part is how he abruptly stops to wash his hands after he is done busting a move. You’re right your description was good, but the video was better!

Aimee Giese | Greeblemonkey June 9, 2011 at 11:30 am

He is awesome.

The Woman Formerly Known as Beautiful June 9, 2011 at 11:35 am

I want to put pics of my kids on my blog as well, but I worry somehow that I’m selling my soul in doing so. Like I’m possibly one of the Housewives of Beverly Hills. You make a good case though. I’m quavering and wavering and slavering to show them off.

Rufus June 11, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Of course you have very effectively made the countervailing case, that the video would not be as interesting without your lovely description. He sure does have WD-40 in the joints … Adorable.

{ 2 trackbacks }