Where The Wild Things Are

July 22, 2011

So we’re headed out to the backwoods again, because we love peace and quiet and mosquitoes and space for our feral offspring to run around just that much. Any last minute advice on how to kill bears, catch fish with one’s hands, get the conch away from the tyrannical preschooler, etc, etc, would be much appreciated.

Oh, and e-reader recommendations. I am totally taking my Kobo this time – risk of e-reader drowning be damned – and I need to know what to fill my library with. Nothing featuring forest-dwelling maniacs, please, or anything by Jon Krakauer. Although maybe a witty survivalist manual might come in handy. Are survivalists capable of wit? YOU SEE THE THINGS THAT I WORRY ABOUT.

Other things that I’ve been worrying about (for your reading pleasure):

1) Post-partum sexual identity. Yes, there is such a thing.

2) Post-partum sexual identity and co-sleeping. (Again, seriously: there is such a thing.)

3) Mompreneurs.

4) Facial hair (his, not mine.)

5) Facial hair (Bill Cosby’s. Also Mr. Drummond’s, and Mike Brady’s.)

6) The renovation of this blog.

7) The contents of my Epiphanie bag.

8) Whether or not this whole ‘going out to the woods’ thing is really healthy for my tech-obsessed psyche. Which means that it probably is healthy. Damn it.

(Also, hey – did you see this new awesometacular site that I might have had something to do with? GO, ENJOY!)

(And then there’s this one, which is internal to this site, but nonetheless new and exciting. SO BUSY HAVE I BEEN.)

CBarry @ Barry's Bites July 22, 2011 at 4:01 pm

The book I most recently enjoyed is Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. I loved. Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy is another book I just plowed through. Happy reading and camping!

FreeRange Pamela July 22, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I’m really enjoying reading Ann Patchett’s “State of Wonder” though there is a lot of forest action. I’m reading it for the second time now. Absolutely recommend!

marie July 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm

On my last holiday I devoured Siri Hustvedt’s ‘What I loved’ and Ian McEwan’s ‘Atonement’. Both ripping good reads with slightly disappointing last chapters. Still worthwhile, tho.

Meaghan July 22, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I seem to recall you mentioning “the Passage” a couple posts ago, but if you haven’t yet read it, do! If you’re looking for something else apocalypse-y, “the Cloud Atlas” by David Mitchell or “the Children’s Hospital” by Chris Adrian are both phenomenal. “The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay” by Michael Chabon is thoughtful and interesting, and “Bowl of Cherries” by Millard Kaufman is really beautiful (and the first novel of a 90-year old, Oscar-winning WW2 vet!)

Angela July 22, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Well, looky here. My reading recommendations are tangentially related to Worry Items 1 & 2, well for me anyway.

Since I’ve had time to read I’ve been devouring romance novels. There are free ones for the kindle out there, some suck, so download a lot of them, but there are also lots that don’t cost much. I’ve been enjoying Eloisa James’ regency romances (1800s) and Christina Dodd has some paranormal and mystery/suspensy type stuff.

And while yes, it’s all easy reading, I AM TIRED. It’s nice to do SOMETHING easy once in a while. Plus our sex life has improved about a zillion percent. Just so you know. And that’s during the year after having twins. Wheeeee!

Enjoy your trip!

Sherry July 22, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I mentioned this on Twitter but I love seeing comments about what people are reading so I’ll write it again. :D

I just finished The Things That Keep Us Here and it was so fabulous. It’s about a pandemic that hits pretty much everywhere in the world but all the focus in the book is really on one family and how they deal with trying to survive when all your basics crap out on you – electricity, news, water, snow removal, etc. It was really REALLY good and I’m grateful that I’m not much of a hypochondriac. Not suggested for reading while sick. ;)

I’m also currently about five chapters into The Murderer’s Daughters and despite the dreary sound of the title I’m enjoying that as well.

And as an aside, if you want a useful survivalist guide, pick up The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. I had a good laugh at how seriously it was written – no irony to it whatsoever – but in the event of an actual zombie apocalypse I now have good guidelines to get me through it.

Anthony from CharismaticKid July 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Man you are a busy lady! I stick to one thing or my ADHD will go into ‘overwhelm mode’.

Angie July 23, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I totally recommend The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost if you’ve never read it. It’s about travel (although not into the woods) and I would say that there’s lots of wit involved. Also, it’s not about sex or cannibals, just in case you were wondering.

Devan @ Accustomed Chaos July 24, 2011 at 5:17 am

it has been way too long since i have been able to pick up a good book (or use my Kobo) so unfortunately I dont have an recommendations for you.

I am however going to read over all the recommendations you have linked to :)

Have a great vacation!