Back To School

September 6, 2011

It seems impossible that I have cause to write the words back to school in reference to my own children. Up until a few years ago, back to school meant me going back to school. Back to grad school, back to teaching, back to ivy-clogged campuses clutching old copies of Rousseau’s Emile and stacks of lecture notes. But I no longer go to school, in any capacity other than the figurative – the school of life, people! the greatest school of all! – whereas the eldest of my children does.

And Emilia is not only going to school this year, she is going back to school. She is in first grade. She is a grade schooler. There is no more playschool, preschool, kindergarten, whatever. This is the full school deal, y’all, and it is weirding me out.

How did we get from here…

… to here?

I ask you. With panging and thrumming in my heart, I ask you. How did we get here?

(Related: when did she get knobby knees? When did she GROW? SHE IS SO VERY VERY BIG. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?)

LoveFeast Table September 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I feel your pain! My 4th child a first grader just yesterday ~ went to 2nd grade today. This morning I also have a 5th grader, a high school freshman and a junior. Last night at our family dinner table I looked around and noticed, all 4 have thoughtful things to add to conversation and I only had to tell someone to stay on their chair once!! Time flies!! They grow up just like everyone says fast! ~Chris Ann

Kristen September 6, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I had the same day you are having today two weeks ago. It was a very bittersweet day and that was what I ended up calling my blog for that…Bittersweet.
    Hope your day goes by quickly and she is home with lots of stories to share with you!
    Kristen

The Woman Formerly Known as Beautiful September 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm

They do it in the dead of night while we’re innocently sleeping down the hall. It’s like time-lapse photography. We put them to bed still flossing their teeth, we wake them up in the morning and they can do calculus.

Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments September 6, 2011 at 9:48 pm

You know sometimes I joke with my children that I’m going to “put a brick on their head” to stop them from growing, but you know what – it’s days like today when I have a 3rd grader, a JK-er and a pre-schooler that I really wish a) I had a brick and b) the whole brick on the head thing actually worked!

Thekla Richter September 6, 2011 at 9:52 pm

My child is only *15* months old and I’m already asking myself this question!

BTW, your daughter’s knees and outfit and hair and grin are totally charming :)

Lisa September 6, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I know, I know… this year my eldest is a sophomore – absolutely, completely in high school. Wait till Emilia’s asking questions like: “is this outfit “steampunk” enough? or “Do you like my homecoming dress?” It’s coming – really. (and I’m sorry….)

Kristen September 7, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I hear ya. One of the first thoughts that struck me when we sent our kindergartener off to school a couple weeks ago was, “Isn’t this the same baby–the same NEWBORN–who lay in my arms just yesterday? And I didn’t I wonder then about how IMPOSSIBLE it seemed that he would some day go to SCHOOL?!”

Turns out it wasn’t impossible after all.

Stephanie September 8, 2011 at 8:49 am

First grade! (You really are in the States now aren’t you? No more ‘grade one’!) So exciting!

Stephanie September 8, 2011 at 8:51 am

LOL just saw your tweet saying the same thing as I posted above about first grade/grade one! Hope you and your kiddies still keep some of your Canadian-ness as you embark on your adventure! Are you going to share with us the details of what you’re up to and why you have left the GTA behind???? Looking forward to reading all about it if you’re sharing!

Team Suzanne September 8, 2011 at 10:41 am

With children, the days are long and the years are short.

Someone once told me that, and I was immediately convinced it was absolutely the gospel–like, never before, had a truer observation been made. It still remains, for me, the most intractable intellectual puzzle of all time. How can it take soooo loooong to get to bedtime, and yet, simultaneously, whole years disappear?

It’s so unbelievable to me, that I sometimes think I might actually be living in a wormhole, or some other cosmic oddity. Or perhaps we’re really all quarks adhering to an alternate conception of time.