Posted by Shalini.
What do you use as a camera bag? I have never found a camera bag that was both useful and pretty. It has always been black, ugly but functional. Once we had The Boy, I hated the camera bag even more. It became one more thing for me to schlep around but I always wanted to take pictures and video so I sucked it up and carried it around.
The heavier The Boy got, the worse it became until I had an epiphany. Our cousin was visiting with her little boy and she had a massive diaper bag, it was made for twins. I went right out and bought one for myself. It held everything, toys, clothes, diapers, snacks and I could put my DSLR into it. Yay for massive diaper bags!
So this brings me to my big questing (sorry, we have been watching a little too much Guess With Jess). Do you use both a diaper bag and a camera bag? Do you use a diaper bag that also holds your camera? Do you use a camera bag that also holds diapers?
My primary bag is the twin size diaper bag that has room for my camera. I use my cell phone camera as my video camera. There are cases when I bring a camera bag too but those occasions must be major milestones (first haircut, someone’s wedding, birthdays etc.). Usually Baby Daddy is with us so he helps with the schlepping. Right now, I gladly give up my Sherpa duties, especially in 35 degree weather that feels like 47 degrees.
Now that The Boy is walking and in the toddler stage, I may have to make the switch. The diaper bag does tend to get a little out of control, especially after a busy weekend. Here’s a list of what is in my bag:
- Camera- not shown because I was using it to take the pictures
- Diapers and wipes- including swimmers for impromptu splash pads or swimming and overnights in case we are delayed somewhere
- Stinky bags for stinky diapers. You can find these cheap in $ stores.
- Two sizes of Ziploc bags for dirty and wet clothes and toys
- Hand sanitizer.
- One complete outfit, including shoes- I either stick the shirt inside the pants or vice versa so pieces do not get separated. Extra shoes because The Boy likes to take off his shoes and fling them, often resulting in one she lost.
- 2 sets of PJs. One short and one long. Have to be prepared for weather or air conditioning.
- One red Adidas track suit in case the opportunity to have a Royal Tenenbaum style tennis match comes up (this is in a Ziploc bag for some reason, guess I really wanted to protect it).
- Rice crackers and One Oscar The Grouch container with additional snacks. The Boy has figured out that pressing down the lid of the Snack Trap allows him to empty snacks all over the car so we no longer use that.
- One Ziploc bag full of toys and books.
- One Ziploc bag full of misc. medicines, creams, lotions and potions.
- Small safety kit with nasal aspirator, nail clippers etc.
- Big and several washcloths.
- Blanket, pacifier and lovey for nap time.
I’m sure I’m missing some things. Here’s a peak into my diaper/camera bag:
What’s in your bag?