Soothes the Soul

July 11, 2006

So – ironically? fittingly? – that last post just turned into a scuffle that had little to do with the topic at hand. Is HBM just a domineering beeyatch who veils her tendency to aggression behind a superficially sweet demeanour so that she will fit into the nauseatingly conformist blogosphere? At least one person thinks so, and in the spirit of preserving space for disagreement – even when the disagreement, such as it is, is somewhat off-topic – HBM decided to engage and debate the issue and now she has a headache. And is just a little bit sick of herself. Of the blah blah blah wherefore art I blah that persists in her head and sometimes makes it out onto the screen as psycho-babble narrated in the third-person. Of the big fat whatever that looms up sometimes and obscures whatever it was that she thought interesting a minute ago.

The antidote:

I’m hot, and tired. I’m worried about six thousand different things – will Husband and WonderBaby really be okay when I go to BlogHer at the end of the month? Will I ever sleep through the night again? Can we really afford for me to stay at home in perpetuity? What will I do if we can’t? Will I ever feel physically strong again? Why am I stuck in a strange blogging feedback loop wherein I can only write about three things (sleep, penises and blogging – four things if you count blogging twice, as you should)? – and I’m sick of all the racing thoughts that can’t or shouldn’t be put to screen.

But then this:

This is like a cool, damp cloth pressed against a feverish forehead.

Sweet relief, for a moment. Thanks, baby.

*******

Grab a bag of cookies and visit the Basement again when you have a chance. There’s a new visitor with a new story – head down there and pull up a chair…

julia July 11, 2006 at 1:36 pm

Ok, I think you have the cutest kid I’ve ever seen (except mine, of course). That grin is infectious.

I didn’t comment yesterday because it would have been a me, too thing and those are dull (but you feel the need to do that now, julia. That’s just great.) And I think I’m suffering from a touch of blog envy because your posts are so well-though out and make sense and mine, well, don’t.

Where, where, where did you get that t-shirt that WonderBaby is sporting in the photo id? It’s hysterical.

Suz July 11, 2006 at 2:03 pm

I didn’t comment yesterday, either. I did think about agression and gender quite a bit, though, but never coherently enough to step into the ring. I can, however, pull my thoughts together enough to say that WonderBaby looks adorable in the rain. There. Now I think I need a nap.

Mel July 11, 2006 at 2:10 pm

I just didn’t feel like getting into a brawl. So I read your post, nodded or shook my head as the agree/disagree reaction took me, enjoyed your topic and point of view, and skipped the comments altogether.
    HOWEVER – that doesn’t mean that I don’t think you’re brilliant, and that you have a lot of really smart things to say about the blogosphere.

bubandpie July 11, 2006 at 2:36 pm

One question: Are those maternity capris?

The sight of that smiling WonderFace is cheering me up, too, on a day when I could really use it.

MetroDad July 11, 2006 at 2:45 pm

Absolutely adorable baby. Fantastic photos. And a great outfit. What more can you ask for?

Peter July 11, 2006 at 2:49 pm

A smiling baby cures all ills. Smiling babies are the best medecine.

Mega Mom July 11, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Thanks for the relief. I always just want to mush her up. Chicago to Toronto $179 next weekend :) But I’m hanging with Kvetch and Mrs. Fortune then!

I can’t wrap my head around the debates this summer, but I do enjoy a good, fairly fought argument where both sides shake hands at the end.

Keep us thinking HBM! And keep the photos rolling. Jennster will have to avert her eyes :)

jennster July 11, 2006 at 3:55 pm

we should all just DO IT. together. one big mommy blogger orgy. LOL

metro mama July 11, 2006 at 4:22 pm

Sweet indeed.

Hope you guys had a good time this afternoon, wish we could have joined you.

gingajoy July 11, 2006 at 4:48 pm

what, you’re going to BlogHer too? Herumph. Am feeling decidedly sulky.

I too need info on where you got the Mutha Sucka t-shirt.

Christina July 11, 2006 at 5:06 pm

Blogher will be a much needed relief for you. Just think – sleeping in! OK, I’m bringing earplugs for you, just in case I snore. Wouldn’t want you to miss out on your first uninterrupted sleep in a long time.

The other stuff? The answers will eventually come. But worrying about them at the moment will do nothing to change them, so just look into Wonder Baby’s face and melt away into a happy place.

Binkytown July 11, 2006 at 5:07 pm

Wow- wonderbaby even made me forget about a few troubles just now.. thanks!

Mother July 11, 2006 at 5:20 pm

I have a little feeling that Blogher will do you (and ME and all of us) well.

It’s why they are so cute, you know. To distract you from all the havoc they wreak in our lives. :)

chelle July 11, 2006 at 5:23 pm

Whenever I am down or don’t get why…I look at my daughter and it all melts away…Good for the perspective ya know?

Lady M July 11, 2006 at 5:23 pm

Entirely too cute! Cuteness is definitely the antidote to most troubles.

Silly Hily July 11, 2006 at 5:34 pm

Yup, those babies, like that most adorable one you have there, they work every.single.time!

creative-Type Dad (Tony) July 11, 2006 at 6:45 pm

Disagreement on a blog? I’ve never read such thing (*sarcastic*)

That sinister smile is great!

Mother Bumper July 11, 2006 at 6:51 pm

Oh I have so much to say but no time to type (Bumper is full blown sick now – good thing we stayed home). But I have to say: Is there anything WonderBaby can’t do? She is the cure for all woes, bumps and bruises (even those to the intellect and the senses). And really now, you haven’t blogged enough about penises lately. ahhhhh… whatever…. ;)

kittenpie July 11, 2006 at 7:47 pm

Oh yes, they do force us out of our own heads, don’t they? Especially those sweet sweet big kisses she’s handing out with lollipops. Good to see you both again. Another round soon?

Jerri Ann July 11, 2006 at 8:02 pm

I didnt’ comment because I refuse to give “those” foolish people who make foolish statements about me and other folks and my motives for why I work or don’t work any more limelight…I’m done with them, I read but I try to leave it be, now I’ve gone and commented again, argh

I like your cool damp cloth myself, what a cutie!

Rock the Cradle July 11, 2006 at 8:43 pm

LOVE those eyes!

Didn’t comment yesterday, as this is the first opportunity I’ve had to respond without a small Impling running amuck and the comment page going offline for maintenance.

Seems to me that you can only truly debate someone who actually has listened and responded to what you are saying, rather that what THEY WISH you had said.

OK that probably made no sense at all. I’m going to bed now.

Her Bad Mother July 11, 2006 at 10:05 pm

Bloggy love is also sweet relief…

(Mutha Sucka – can be had at grassroots.com)

Lisa b July 11, 2006 at 11:02 pm

Girl your baby is so cute
    and yes you will feel better one day. I did not think it would happen but it did.
    and then you will be like me scared to have another bc you remember how shite you felt

as for yesterdays post I like what you said and I like how you said it
    I feel much the same way

Mommy off the Record July 12, 2006 at 3:09 am

I guess I missed all the drama on your last post. Dangit! Well, whatever mean comments were said (if any) forgettaboutem. You rock, HBM. And that is all.

Oh, one more thing. Wonderbaby is a wonder.

sunshine scribe July 12, 2006 at 7:02 am

Sweet releif has never presented itself in such a deliciously cute package.

The shite sucks but the anticdote – lovely.

Jezer July 12, 2006 at 8:11 am

I enjoyed yesterday’s post, but missed the scuffle. Honestly, I never feel quite qualified or comfortable engaging in serious discussions. Except for this one thing: That “…HBM just a domineering beeyatch who veils her tendency to aggression behind a superficially sweet demeanour so that she will fit into the nauseatingly conformist blogosphere?” WHATEVER, dude!

OK, now I’m gonna have to go read the comments from yesterday. And I reserve the right to kick some ass (i.e. throw around some “whatever”s and “y’all bitches are on crack”) if necessary.

nikki July 12, 2006 at 10:37 am

Nothing like the smile of your child to calm your nerves eh? My son’s giggle on a day when he keeps me up until 3 am reminds me that it is all worth it. I’m sure I will sleep again….when he’s 18 or so. (your daughter is a cutie!)

crazymumma July 12, 2006 at 1:28 pm

Ok, I am thoroughly confused by all the layers, mamablogstoronto, Her Bad Mother, basements, truewife confessions…my synapses are self destructing….thanks ;) , Anne

Megan July 12, 2006 at 2:16 pm

Your daughter is absolutely adorable! If you didn’t post about the challenges of parenting as well as the joys her picture alone would be causing a revision of my baby timeline.

Her Bad Mother July 12, 2006 at 3:17 pm

WonderBaby’s delightful outfit is a wetsuit, BTW. Not a unitard. Not that there’s anything wrong with unitards. Unitards are cool. But, still, not a unitard. Needed you to know that.

That’s how superficial I am.

kittenpie July 12, 2006 at 4:49 pm

But HBM, I may still have a turquoise unitard left over from my dance troupe days, should you be looking for one…

macboudica July 12, 2006 at 5:25 pm

I missed the drams on your last post, but I thought it was really thought provoking, just as always.

mamatulip July 12, 2006 at 6:07 pm

I just read the post before this one, and all the comments that came with it, and now this one. For me to add my two cents to an issue that’s already gotten about forty bucks worth is kind of beside the point, so I’ll say this instead.

HBM, I really enjoy your blog. You take a subject and look at it from many different points of view, offering the chance for many differing opinions to be brought to the table. I feel like, with each comment, you listen and consider what your readers have to say, and for me, as one of those readers, it makes me feel important to you.

So thank you.

Dawn July 12, 2006 at 8:44 pm

Yes, that is why the universe made them so damn cute. As mind erasers to all else.

I will hug you fiercely at BlogHer.

Nancy July 12, 2006 at 9:11 pm

Wonder Baby is the salve for a sore spot, that’s for sure. Thanks for the lovely pics. Can’t wait to meet you at BlogHer!

Heather July 12, 2006 at 9:30 pm

Wow with the calming effect she has on the blogosphere, I wonder what she could do for Middle-east politics? (she is that cute)

Pattie July 13, 2006 at 2:09 am

Nothing like some baby photos to ease the soul…love that last one with the water..it is so refreshing!

Gabriella July 13, 2006 at 11:21 am

Thanks for the comment about Misty.
    Wonderbaby has the cutest smile and the biggest bluest eyes!
    Glad I found your blog.

Veronica Mitchell July 13, 2006 at 9:20 pm

Beautiful WonderBaby. She makes us all smile.

h&b July 20, 2006 at 4:29 am

Your daughter is a *doll*.
    Absolutely cheeky-gorgeous.