Because The Year Just Wouldn’t Have Been Complete Without A Pestilence

December 31, 2006

What Santa brought WonderBaby this year:

Pox. Awesome.

At least he waited until after we had flown across the country and driven four hours into the hinterland of British Columbia to spring it on her. That was nice. She would have preferred a nice tricycle or a helicopter or a small developing country to rule over with an iron pacifier, but whatever. Pestilence is cool, too.

(We’ve missed you. We’ll be back online in a day or two, once we’re home and the plague has receded.

Happy New Year.)

Anonymous January 1, 2007 at 9:29 pm

OMG, that picture is so horrendously heart-breaking! A bagillion warm wishes for a speedy recovery for you both. I used to think I didn’t want the vaccine for Amelia, then my nurse friend talked to me about it. She also told me about her not quite 2 year old nephew who had it absolutely everywhere, even on his ‘little man’, and that he would just stand there, holding it and whimpering, “pain”. As if that story wasn’t enough, that photo has absolutely made up my mind. May Santa be saving a beautiful blessing for the New Year!
    Roz

c4cara January 1, 2007 at 11:07 pm

Oh poor wonder baby. It may not help, but the exact same thing happened to us last year. We trecked all the way from NZ to England for xmas, and just after xmas, my then 2 year old got ‘poxed’. 2 weeks later her big sister followed suit. I can recommend oat baths to soothe the skin, and packs of frozen peas to soothe the really crazy itching bits. Hope she feels better soon.

Karianna January 1, 2007 at 11:27 pm

Oh. What sad news. And what a sad photo.

May 2007 be much, much better.

Thor January 2, 2007 at 12:18 am

Her expression says it all. It says, “MOTHER! WHY HAVE YOU ALLOWED THIS POX TO BE VISITED UPON MY TENDER BODY??”

Poor baby!

Mayberry January 2, 2007 at 12:50 am

THAT is the most adorable, pathetic little urchin I’ve seen in a long time. Feel better soon WB.

scribbit January 2, 2007 at 2:37 am

Oh that is the saddest, most pathetic little picture I’ve seen–the poor little guy. He must feel awful. But you know, even with all those sores he looks just adorable?

Jozet January 2, 2007 at 2:46 am

Oh no!!!!

Oh, poor sweet baby!

Well…look at the bright side: lifelong immunity, and no need to remember booster shots before she has her own kiddies. (Your grandchildren! Eep!)

But oh…Bad Santa! Bad, bad, Santa! Coal for you next year, Santa!

Gentle hugs for Wonderbaby.

Mir January 2, 2007 at 9:30 am

Aaaaaaack. Poor darling. I hope she is well and itch-free very soon.

Coolshoes January 2, 2007 at 11:01 am

Well, in case you missed it in the Bad Mother Manual, there is a universal truth that into every holiday (no, make that every kid-centric holiday), a little rain must fall — or a little fever, projectile vomit, night terrors, broken bone, childhood illness last seen in the 1960s, or some such rot….wait till the tyke is 5 and really psyched about Halloween and spikes a raging fever just after you get all the sutffing in place for the costume which your husband told you looked a little warm!

Kate January 2, 2007 at 11:37 am

OMG, poor little wonderbaby looks so upset. That’s such a sad picture!

Hope it passes soon. Poor kids when they get sick. :(

Pattie January 2, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Oh No! That poor little sweetheart…

I hope she has a speedy recovery :)

Lena January 2, 2007 at 2:07 pm

That face: SWOON.

Here’s a much needed hug for you. (((hugs)))

Gabriella January 2, 2007 at 2:19 pm

Poor thing, I hope she gets better soon, lots of big hugs to you and wb.

Kristen January 2, 2007 at 3:55 pm

Oh!!! Poor baby! Your pediatrician didn’t offer the chickenpox vaccine? Or did it (gulp) not work?!

Leave it to wonderbaby to still look cute in spite of being so itchy and miserable!

FishyGirl January 2, 2007 at 4:58 pm

Oh, poor sweet thing! I hope she (and you) feel better soon – I recommend Aveeno baths for itching, and check with your pediatrician, but a bit of Solarcaine helped here for a rotten case of poison ivy. Best wishes for 2007 after that auspicious start.

mothergoosemouse January 2, 2007 at 7:04 pm

Oh how I want to hug WonderBaby and draw her a lukewarm baking soda bath.

In spite of the vax, we had the pox here last year too. The worst part for me was not being able to go ANYWHERE.

Happy New Year, my friend!

Rock the Cradle January 2, 2007 at 7:10 pm

I’m so sorry, HBM, hope it all clears up quickly…you’ve had them, right?

RIGHT?!

Big huge hugs and kisses to the Wonderbaby. Looks like she needs a whole lot of extra cuddling right now.

tallulah January 2, 2007 at 8:05 pm

That may be the most pathetic picture I have ever seen! Poor Wonderbaby.

anne nahm January 2, 2007 at 9:14 pm

Oh that S-U-C-K-S the suckitude of suckiness. Feel better soon, babe!

Mommy off the Record January 3, 2007 at 1:09 am

Oh no! Poor Wonderbaby! I’m so sorry!

Beck January 3, 2007 at 8:08 am

Your poor baby. Not ONE of my three kids – and the oldest is 7 – have ever had chicken pox. We’re getting the little one immunized against it today, and I think I’m going to hustle on getting the older two, as well. Yikes.

TB January 3, 2007 at 10:53 am

poor baby! that look on her face really says it all.

I hope things are looking up in 2007.

AdventureDad January 3, 2007 at 11:26 am

Oh, that sucks. Hope Baby has a speedy recovery. Please send our regards to Tanner

Have a great year

AD

Mimi January 3, 2007 at 1:04 pm

My goodness, but you’ve had a bad run of it. Surely 2007 will be easier. How could it not be? You must all recover, because I need to ask you how to move from the swaddle to the no-swaddle! You and WonderBaby blazed the path!

Sorry. This is about poor cutie and her awful pox. Would it, though, be wrong to say it’s a great picture?

Dilemmas, dilemmas.

Good luck.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah January 3, 2007 at 4:34 pm

I’d like to be the 78th person to say poor, poor Wonderbaby.

And poor Bad Mother too!

NotSoSage January 3, 2007 at 4:41 pm

Ohmigod. Having just returned from the Left Coast myself (flying solo with a toddler, woo hoo!) I don’t feel sorry for myself any longer as it clearly could have been worse. Doesn’t that make you feel better.

That photo just melts your heart…

(…and makes me almost reconsider my decision not to give my little one the vaccine.)

Good luck!

Lizzy January 3, 2007 at 4:53 pm

Hoping the new year brings you health and oatmeal baths to help with the itches. Poor thing. And the baby, too.

ewe are here January 3, 2007 at 4:56 pm

oh no! poor Wonderbaby! I hope she’s feeling better!

We escaped this a couple of months ago…but I figure it’s going to hit us sooner or later.

Jenn January 3, 2007 at 11:06 pm

okay, as comment #79, I know I’m unacceptably late in offering my sympathies, but DAMN. That’s not a good way to spend the new year.

I hope WonderBaby is feeling better soon… :(

Mom101 January 3, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Just checking in for signs of pox recession. Hope she’s doing okay. You deserve a happy peaceful 2007, all of you. Let’s start with clearing up the pox, shall we?

Karen January 3, 2007 at 11:56 pm

It’s true. Illnesses seek out and prey upon our young at times of holiday cheer. One Christmas Eve/ Wee hours of Christmas morning we spent entirely out on our back step, looking at the stars, signing endless rounds of toddler songs and exposing the toddler to the cool, humid night air prescribed by the doc for the croup. When we got too tired to keep it up we opened the windows in our bedroom and all crawled under the duvet. Once he stopped we all slept til 10am, my last ever Christmas sleep in was brought to me by the croup. Twas our first, but not our last case of the Christmas sickies.

Heather January 4, 2007 at 12:20 am

Aw poor kiddo! She looks so devastated! Hope the pox on your house clears up soon (and good she won’t get it when everyone at school gets it!).

Stefanie January 4, 2007 at 2:59 am

Oh noooooo! I’m so sorry!

booberrypancake January 4, 2007 at 11:09 am

oh, sad face! i just want to cuddle her until she’s better.

sooooo sorry. (and right now i can’t remember whether my own munchkin has been vaccinated for the pox…)

damn. major suckitude.

Emmie (Better Make It A Double) January 4, 2007 at 11:51 am

Oh, poor girl. We have the pestilence too. Both of my boys got RSV and have been on a nebulizer for days. I know how you feel – it’s awful. I hope you all get some relief soon.

Bloor West Mama January 4, 2007 at 12:09 pm

Poor Wonderbaby…and just a few months shy of getting the vaccine.

Wishing her a speedy recovery and a safe trip home.

Happy New Year!

tracey January 4, 2007 at 12:55 pm

No friggin’ way. What a nice way to spend the holiday.

Meena January 4, 2007 at 9:14 pm

That is awful. I’m so sorry. Hope she feels better soon (and that you no longer have to deal with it).

petite gourmand January 4, 2007 at 9:30 pm