Blah, blah, blah…

February 11, 2007

Because I’m lecturing on Hegel this week and, although it’s tempting to try to whip something up about how public reaction to the death of Anna Nicole Smith demonstrates the extent to which our culture really is a world of self-alienated spirit wherein our understanding of ourselves as self-conscious subjects can really be radically thrown by our recognition of a washed-up drugged-up former Playboy centerfold as another self-conscious subject (okay, semi-conscious, but nonetheless possessing of a consciousness – limited or otherwise – that might be negated by death… BIG SIGH…), although such Hegelian analysis of the death of a Trimspa model is tempting, my brain is too tapped out to do much beyond contemplating the unbearable cuteness of being that is demonstrated by the WonderBaby…

Hegel’s interrogation into the Phenomenology of Spirit can really be most effectively answered by a baby’s smile: I am aware of myself as mother because she presents herself to me as known. Also, because she says to me, with that smile: HEY! I SHIT IN THE TUB! FOR YOU!

… I haven’t much to say. And in any case, whatever it was that I might have said while under the influence of the complete works of Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, E-Online and one too many glasses of blended scotch, you probably don’t want to know.

Kyla February 11, 2007 at 11:36 pm

WonderBaby is indeed adorable. That level of cuteness mostly negates the pooing in the tub. *lol*

slouching mom February 12, 2007 at 12:03 am

So, so pretty. Oh, my kingdom (such as it is) for a girl!

BTW, I was a philosophy major as an undergrad. You are reminding me why I never picked it up again after college… Too many fancy terms for me.

Mad Hatter February 12, 2007 at 12:21 am

Too cute.

Wait for it though. Eventually the shame comes and she will cry that she failed you by failing to control her bowels in the tub and you’ll be all WTF where did she learn this thing called shame. And you will mourn. Enjoy your smiling tub dump.

NotSoSage February 12, 2007 at 12:50 am

Oh, I sooooo do, though.

Mona February 12, 2007 at 12:57 am

I bet WonderBaby’s also saying, “Come on in, the water’s fine…”

Lara February 12, 2007 at 1:02 am

oh my goodness, she is too much. especially knowing she’s pooping in the tub. i’m sure the poop smelled like roses with a smile like that to go with it. ;)

Sara February 12, 2007 at 1:27 am

Wonderbaby is gorgeous, as always, and the poop in the tub is temporary. Enjoy her! Before you know it, before your eyes, she’ll be nearly 10 and wanting “PRIVACY” in all things.

Lady M February 12, 2007 at 2:14 am

>>unbearable cuteness of being

If I ever do start a separate cuteness blog, I will beg to borrow your phrase and WB pictures!

AdventureDad February 12, 2007 at 5:42 am

I’m so glad to hear WonderBaby shits in he tub as well. My 3- year old tson have never done that but decided o try it last week. Biggest shit i’ve ever seen was floating around the tub…

By the way, that’s the longest sentence I’ve ever read:-))

Cute photo as always!

AD

Mocha February 12, 2007 at 7:26 am

I propose you combine the scotch, Hegel, and shit for a new essay. You know I’d read it and then say, “She writes a damn fine blog, that HBM. I want to be her.” In fact, I’d read it if it were just about the scotch n’ shit.

[That title is now copyrighted and you must ask the express permission of Mocha Momma to use it. That's only because I saw the long-ass, no-vowel word verification waiting for me below.]

Christina February 12, 2007 at 8:41 am

Leaving a log in the tub always evokes an extra special smile from a toddler, I’ve noticed.

She looks mighty proud of herself.

Beck February 12, 2007 at 8:46 am

My children have all chosen to impress me with their tub-pooping skills WHILE I WAS IN THE TUB WITH THEM. This cut back remarkably on the number of baths the poor dears got to have with me.

Janet a.k.a. "Wonder Mom" February 12, 2007 at 9:07 am

I love that you take a philosophical slash comical approach to all you post. It makes me want to french kiss you …if you were a boy, I’d have a gigantic crush on you right now…ay! what the heck…I have a gigantic crush on you right now.

She is hysterical with that smile!

TB February 12, 2007 at 10:10 am

Thank god you included the fabulous photo of Wonderbaby. All the talk of Hegel’s philosophies of self-awareness were making ME long for a few glasses of blended scotch, in which I have cheap taste and a bottle of Dewar’s in my liquor cabinet as we speak.

penelopeto February 12, 2007 at 10:18 am

at first i thought you were talking about the vag exercise guy (nope, never wondered why that would be on your teaching itinerary), but quickly remembered that that is keigel, not hegel.

and ‘shit in the tub’ is always good for a laugh, so thanks for that.

kittenpie February 12, 2007 at 11:05 am

Hey, she’s beginning to look like a real sturdy toddler, isn’t she?! Amazing how that happens right under our very noses. Not sure how you live with the cuteness.

binkytown February 12, 2007 at 11:30 am

Thanks for posting the pic. It quiets the sickning feeling that the ANS drama creates. What a beautiful little one.

T. February 12, 2007 at 11:47 am

Classic. And now I’m smiling remembering my Bug. Who shit in the tub every damn time.

While that may not have been your original goal in posting this ditty, it is a wonderful, er by-product.

Give WB a squeeze for me.

gingajoy February 12, 2007 at 12:02 pm

you should totally do the Hegelian reading of Anna Nicole. that’s cutting edge pedagogy that is (and you never know–it might actually help your students get Hegel–I am NOT kidding).

Of course. I’m more of a Wittgensteinian m’self…

nomotherearth February 12, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Stunning picture. An absolute classic.

you da mom! February 12, 2007 at 12:59 pm

Never read Hegel, but now that I know that Anna Nicole Smith and any number of pop culture burnouts can be analyzed by his passages, I might give it a try! ;)

The poop in the tub thing…so that really happens?

Julie Pippert February 12, 2007 at 1:07 pm

I’d be under the influence of that cuteness too.

What can I say to this:

except I LOVE it! BWAHAHAHA

MotherBumper February 12, 2007 at 1:27 pm

Well if that isn’t the cutest poop announcement ever.

wordgirl February 12, 2007 at 1:49 pm

A smile like that can help you deal with anything…even poop in the tub.

mamatulip February 12, 2007 at 2:43 pm

Tub floaters got nuthin’ on that smile. She lights up the whole room.

Elizabeth February 12, 2007 at 3:42 pm

I swear, HBM, that baby of yours has the most stunning features. I don’t understand Philosophy, at all, but I know unbearable cuteness when I see it!

CNN went on forever today about “new speculations as to Anna Nicole Smith’s cause of death”. And how Zsa Zsa freakin’ GABOR’s husband could be the father of her baby. Rest assured, by next fall some college will have a Pop Culture class with A.N.S. as it’s main subject.

Mrs. Chicky February 12, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Hear that sound?

That’s the sound of my ovaries exploding. Cutebabycutebabycutebaby! Gah!

So what if there’s poop? Look at those pink cheeks! Gaaaahhh!

Jozet February 12, 2007 at 4:20 pm

Darn! That’s one cute baby!

Is she spoken for? I mean, because I have a cute, younger man-baby who will be looking for a prom date in about 17 years. Things would be so much easier if I could arrange these things now and not worry that he’s going to marry some girl who is afraid of her own poo.

How’s that for being philosophical?

Ben & Bennie February 12, 2007 at 4:42 pm

God, I love your writing. The “semi-conscience” comment almost made me soil my screen.

Bathtub = Big Toilet

Kelly February 12, 2007 at 4:52 pm

What a delightful creature to have washed upon your shore.

(Even if she came with a trailing turd.)

Exiled to Canada February 12, 2007 at 5:28 pm

So am I the only one who just assumed that WB was mispronouncing “sit” and was not having a bowel movement in the tub? OUr little guy calls a clock a cock and for the longest time said what sounded like bitch for bridge. Need less to say we get some strange looks in public.
    That is the cutest smile ever! She is getting so big!

crazymumma February 12, 2007 at 6:09 pm

Even Hegel would say aaaawww.

BOSSY February 12, 2007 at 9:00 pm

Um, Bossy says yeah to all dat.

Lisa b February 12, 2007 at 10:45 pm

Issue that baby a graduate degree. That is one hell of a thesis statement.

urban-urchin February 12, 2007 at 11:29 pm

i have her future boyfriend here. that baby is lethally cute.

Jennifer (ponderosa) February 13, 2007 at 12:22 am

Those eyes! What beautiful eyes!

Surviving Motherhood February 13, 2007 at 4:22 am

Wow! look at those eyes!

The Mad Momma February 13, 2007 at 9:15 am

Ah! we went through that a few months back and now i am hysterical about putting him on the potty before the tub!!! Each time I see wonderbaby I wonder if she is real because she is just such a perfect little doll….

Pattie February 13, 2007 at 10:36 am

Cute as always!
    How was the scotch!

Anonymous February 13, 2007 at 12:10 pm

oh wonderbaby is so sweet. what a pecious little girl.and you know the saying.poop happens…LAVENDULA

the weirdgirl February 13, 2007 at 3:55 pm

I love you!

DadEO March 23, 2007 at 11:31 am

This a great video on Poop in the Tub for parents. From DadLabs.com.
    Enjoy!