The Kid Stays In The Picture

February 22, 2007

The artist.

The art.

*******
It is possible that the fact that I let my fifteen-month old daughter use my camera and then post the product of her efforts on the Internet is just so much more evidence that I am an unrepentant attention-whore who publicly exploits the precociousness of her child in order to affirm her own identity as a mother on the cutting edge of cool, if such a thing is not incontrovertibly oxymoronic. But it is also possible that I just think that the world needs more WonderBaby.
*******
If any of you Toronto-area parents are looking to out yourselves as desperately hip – or just looking to have a really good time with your children in a venue that is devoid of licensed characters – you could always check this out this weekend. WonderBaby and I are going: just look for a tiny, sparsely-haired performance-toddler, and her bad mother.

Janet a.k.a. "Wonder Mom" February 22, 2007 at 9:43 pm

Save that picture..it will be famous one day.

slouching mom February 22, 2007 at 9:48 pm

It is possible that the fact that I let my fifteen-month-old daughter use my camera and then post the product of her efforts on the Internet is just so much more evidence that I am an unrepentant attention-whore…

The fact that you let your fifteen-month-old use your camera suggests to me that you are her good mother, letting her explore a technology and an art that’s new to her, without freaking out about your camera getting broken.

That you post her photo suggests that you are her mother. Just her mother, always her mother.

Chag February 22, 2007 at 9:51 pm

I like seeing kids’ photos. I like trying to figure out what inspired them to take the pictures.

s@bd February 22, 2007 at 10:33 pm

I’ve done it, too.
    are you calling me an attention-whore?

(truth hurts, i suppose)

Jeff February 22, 2007 at 10:47 pm

Hey, it’s Jeff in Ottawa from CW High. Been lurking for a while, but had to post in reply to your latest entry. HILARIOUS. We gave the boy his own camera last summer when he was 5. No shit, a quarter of the pictures were of his feet. Another quarter were of other people’s feet. Even feet at higher-than-eye-level for him, so it’s not a looking-down thing. Shoes on a shelf in a closet? Art fodder! Profound insight into the boy’s interests was had. Anyways, been enjoying your posts while I’m on temporary hiatus from employment. Keep the kid’s pictures coming – I’m curious to see if the boy’s apparent foot fetish is one of the phases one reads about in good parenting literature. Rock on.

Lara February 22, 2007 at 11:18 pm

wow… you’re taking a picture of wonderbaby taking a picture. that’s so, like, metaphotographic. :)

Jenn February 22, 2007 at 11:24 pm

love this!! the Magpie has been trying to get her hands on my camera forever, though it’s usually just to bang on it…

and, dude, I think you have my camera!

Her Bad Mother February 22, 2007 at 11:26 pm

We are nothing if not meta ’round here, Lara.

And, um, JEFF? Wow. Delurking much appreciated – but now you’ve got me freaked that there are dozens (or at least twos or threes) of old high school buddies hanging out around this blog. Laughing, probably. And pointing.

Mona February 22, 2007 at 11:29 pm

If I gave my nine-month-old my digital camera, the only shots would be of his mouth as he tried to eat the lens.

Mrs. Chicken February 22, 2007 at 11:30 pm

Yes, more Wonderbaby!

wordgirl February 23, 2007 at 12:29 am

That kid is a budding Diane Arbus…without the crazy, of course.

mothergoosemouse February 23, 2007 at 12:50 am

look for a tiny, sparsely-haired performance-toddler, and her bad mother

No, look for the platinum bob. That’s what we all did at BlogHer.

Mel February 23, 2007 at 2:43 am

Wonderbaby has got a good eye. :)

Susanne February 23, 2007 at 6:36 am

Well, of course the world needs more of Wonderbaby! And she took a nice photo. You too.

Mamacita Tina February 23, 2007 at 7:12 am

Love it, love it! Now I’m going to steal it! So, did you or are you planning to frame Wonderbaby’s art?

MotherBumper February 23, 2007 at 8:34 am

Portrait of a young artist as a Wonderbaby.

Beck February 23, 2007 at 9:31 am

Only one of my three is interested in the camera, which she mainly uses to take photos of her toys. I could do quite a post of blury toy photos. Now that she’s nearly 8, we’re getting her an inexpensive and sturdy digital camera so that she stops using up MY batteries all the time.

ewe are here February 23, 2007 at 10:20 am

My husband lets MF use our digital camera as well… Maybe he’ll become a famous photographer and support us in our old age. ;-)

Kelly February 23, 2007 at 11:12 am

(Wishing I lived near Toronto…)

My 3-year old has her own camera, and usually she takes pictures of her toys and the floor and things that, honestly, aren’t very moving.

But this one time she took the most perfect picture of the branches of our jade plant, and I was so shocked that I almost started crying. It was perfectly lovely, and worth all the pictures I had to scan through to reach it.

So, keep snapping, WonderBaby!!

NotSoSage February 23, 2007 at 11:19 am

Crap! We were looking for something fun to do this weekend and the Bunch thing is now sold out! Rrrgh.

Mme L’s first photo was of a pot of porridge, but I would have expected SHOES, just like Jeff’s kid, because SHOES were all she could talk about for a while. Did I mention SHOES?!

Excellent work WB…

merseydotes February 23, 2007 at 11:30 am

The really exciting part is how you managed to get a picture of her while she was holding the camera. Aer you controlling The Matrix or what???

Her Bad Mother February 23, 2007 at 11:33 am

No Matrix, just the magic of multiple cameras.

kittenpie February 23, 2007 at 12:32 pm

Oh criminy, why is it always on the saturday I work?

Oh, The Joys February 23, 2007 at 2:50 pm

Brave comes to mind. I’m afraid when the kids even get near the camera.

Kyla February 23, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Psst…there is something waiting for you over at my blog.

Redneck Mommy February 23, 2007 at 5:17 pm

Goodness, that camera is as big as her head!!!

Love the WB photos. They make me smile and that is all good!

nomotherearth February 23, 2007 at 5:28 pm

I am getting my hair done (doesn’t that sound lovely and relaxing?) on Saturday, or me and the Boy would totally be hanging out with Your Bad Selves.

Yes, the world does need more WonderBaby.

Mommato2 February 23, 2007 at 9:08 pm

Hi there:

I am a Mom from Nova Scotia, and have been reading your blog for a few months. I really enjoy your writing, and your little girl is sweet.

How is your darling nephew? I think of his Mom often…she must be so strong.

Have fun this week-end!

mom-nos February 24, 2007 at 8:40 am

Hello, Her Bad Mother (though, really, you are quite good): Just wanted to let you know that I’ve named you on my blog in something that looks like a meme, but is really just deep praise. Thanks for making me think!

mcewen February 24, 2007 at 10:39 am

I’m here via Mom-nos, so thank you to you both, and that was the perfect piece to link.
    Cheers

Pendullum February 24, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Heard about it… We want to go as this is where Boy Wonder and I had our wedding reception….MANY moons ago….

BOSSY February 24, 2007 at 3:36 pm

Neat picture – very architectural?

Dana February 24, 2007 at 7:16 pm

I wish I lived in Toronto sometimes! You always do such fun things!

Jenifer G. February 25, 2007 at 12:30 pm

That sounded like fun. Let us know how it was.

I get very nervous when the kids are around the camera, but hubby always hands it right over. We have lots of toy shots too!

Nice job WB.

jen February 25, 2007 at 1:17 pm

Bad…if only i was closer.

i’ve missed you, by the way. glad to be back your way.

DS Writer February 25, 2007 at 2:08 pm

If she takes pis at fifteen months, what will she take when she’s two, seven, nine? twnety three? yee-gads….