Potty On

September 18, 2007

This morning, Wonderbaby tugged on my arm as I lay on the sofa, sniffling and coughing and muttering softly about the evil of Bill Maher and of viruses in general. She tugged on my arm, and said, potty. Pee-pee. Go potty.

Potty?

Potty.

And so I dragged myself out from under the covers, and took her by the hand, and – asking, all the way, are you sure? you want the potty? – pulled out the little green Boon Potty Bench that we had tucked away for the toilet training that we felt sure wouldn’t begin until she was two, and I helped her unlatched her diaper, and she sat her little round bottom upon the seat, and she tinkled.

And then she asked for her sunglasses, which I fetched, and she put them on. And then she tinkled some more.

And then she asked for paper, and I helped her dab her parts, and then we tossed the paper in the toilet, and we washed our hands. Then we went back downstairs and I took some more Tylenol and crawled back under the covers on the sofa and thought, what the f*ck just happened?

I considered the possibility that I’d dreamt it, or that it was an hallucination induced by the cocktail of Neo Citran and Tylenol that I’ve been taking – the sunglasses were, I thought, a particularly fantastical detail – but then I checked my camera:

I must leave the bathroom door open a LOT.

Mimi aka pz5wjj September 19, 2007 at 3:03 pm

Yea Wonderbaby!

Lisa September 19, 2007 at 3:47 pm

Yeay for your beautiful little girl. I like how she’s got that whole Flash dance shoulder thing going there. :-)

Most precious.

Oh Baby Gifts September 19, 2007 at 4:13 pm

Very smart girl

…we all know it was the sunglasses that really did it though ;)

ali September 19, 2007 at 4:19 pm

wonderbaby is a total wonderkid :) yay!!

Major Bedhead September 19, 2007 at 8:09 pm

We have that potty! Of course, Boo won’t use it, but still. We have it.

Maman September 19, 2007 at 10:43 pm

Glorious!

BTW, watch that door thing… cuz if it works at your house like it did at mine anytime you are in the bathroom will be designated as free time to chat and ask you questions…

Elizabeth September 20, 2007 at 12:19 am

Way to go, WonderBaby! You said “I must leave the door open a LOT”, does that mean you wear your shades when you pee, too? *giggle*

Kaitlyn has started saying “I pee! I pee!” when I go into the bathroom, so I think it’s time to buy her a potty! The Boon, huh? OH, and are you feeling better? Sounds like you had quite the cold or something.

Girl con Queso September 20, 2007 at 12:29 am

Um, you two are making it look ridiculously easy. And cool. Definitely cool.

becks September 20, 2007 at 8:38 am

I read this yesterday morning and wsa seriously jealous. Then, mysteriously, my son (who is a month younger than WB) runs up and yells, “Pants!” at me, while furiously trying to remove his pants. I shrug and give him a hand. Next he yells, “Shirt!” SO again, I oblige. Next, he takes my hand and pulls me towards the washroom while taking off his diaper with the other hand. He points to the door knob and says, “Door!” Okay… We get into the washroom and he runs over to the toilet, “Poo-poo!” he’s saying, “Poo-poo!”
    I am shocked. Literally moments earlier I am reading about WB and wishing it could be so easy when my time comes. And here is my son, doing the exact same thing (though why he feels he needs to be naked to go potty, I don’t know). Maybe it’s just the new generation of kids? They train themselves.

And then he sits on the toilet, makes a few grunting noises, passes some gas and stands up. Next he faces the toilet, holds his penis for a second or two, spits in the toilet and looks at me with a big grin. “All done!” he announces as he flushes the toilet.

Maybe it won’t be so easy after all… (oh! and we repeated this two or three times throughout the day).

Damselfly September 20, 2007 at 12:20 pm

I love it! If you’re going to go potty, be fabulous about it.

TB September 20, 2007 at 3:39 pm

Bill Mahr et al can suck it. It’s a non issue as far as I’m concerned. I’m legally entitled to breastfeed my child anywhere I like and I exercise that right on a regular basis.

I hope you’re feeling better soon.

Jenifer September 20, 2007 at 7:35 pm

That’s awesome!

Hopefully she keeps up the interest… beware the potty regression though. My daughter was “trained” for 3 months until it became less fun and more like a chore. Then we had 3 more months of wet pants and “I want my diappy back!!”

Catherine September 22, 2007 at 11:16 pm

Ah, Potty Training. I wonder if that day will ever come for us…

moosh in indy. September 23, 2007 at 8:36 pm

I leave the door open ALL THE TIME.
    What kind of drugs are in your house?

Julie September 24, 2007 at 12:50 pm

You’re lucky. My sister also learned an early awareness of her, uh, bodily functions but did not choose to turn this into using the potty. Instead, she would just run up to my mother, squat down, pointing to her diaper, and yell “CHANGE!” It was another year still before she deigned to sit her round little butt on a potty.