Knocked Up And Knocked Down

October 2, 2007

Last pregnancy, I had no morning sickness. This pregnancy, the morning sickness is lasting ALL DAY. I’ve been curled up in the fetal position on the floor, eyes squeezed shut to stop the endless waves of sea-sicky vurp, moving only to take position by toilet, for two days now. (Last week, it was only lasting through the afternoon.)

The doctor prescribed Diclectin, an anti-nauseant, but it knocks me out, which is great, except for the fact that I can’t appreciate the absence of nausea from the condition of unconsciousness. I’m not totally averse to unconsciousness – some of my best naps have involved unconsciousness – but I really do like to have some awake time on any given day.

The nausea is a good sign, I know. It’s all those crazy hormones, throwing a party for that embryo down there, and the crazier they are, the better the party is, and a better party usually means a more robust guest-of-honour. Last time around, there was no nausea, but there were also lots of scary hormone tests that indicated that things were too quiet down there, which was scary (Wonderbaby, as it happened, waited until the third trimester to start throwing parties, and she never stopped.) So, yes, I get it – the nausea is good. But still, yuck. It feels craptastic. I feel craptastic.

What do I do? Any magic remedies? Something that takes the edge off the sick but doesn’t make me unconscious? I’m no fun when unconscious (well, mostly.)

(crawling back under blanket with bucket now…)

flutter October 3, 2007 at 1:08 am

peppermint, gingerale, tea with crystallized ginger.

ginger snaps, did I mention ginger?

Veronica October 3, 2007 at 1:20 am

Sorry that you are sick. Morning sickness is torture. I actually lost more weight that I gained when I was pregnant UGH!

I sipped ginger and lemon tea, regular tea and dry biscuits.

The trick for me was to make sure that there was something in my stomach, becasue vomiting nothing is nasty.

Good luck, hope it improves soon.

Major Bedhead October 3, 2007 at 1:51 am

What worked for me:
    Ginger Altoids
    Ginger Ale – real ginger ale, not the crap you can get at the market.
    Ginger snaps
    graham crackers
    any sour hard candy
    lemon/lime seltzer water
    tiny sips of Sprite (really tiny)
    Lady Grey tea with lemon (again with the tiny sips)

If I had something to eat/drink (not water) before I got vertical, life was much better. Just a nibble of a graham cracker or drink of Sprite would sometimes help. Not always, though, and this was just what worked for me.

ella October 3, 2007 at 5:25 am

I’m just getting to the end of months of constant sickness so I sympathise. For me refined carbs every ten minutes or so and lying down as much as possible worked the best, as well as napping when I could (not easy with three other small children at home).

I hope you find something that works for you!

Beck October 3, 2007 at 7:45 am

Tragically, the only thing that even BEGAN to touch the mind-numbing nausea was slightly flat gingerale and Doritos.
    Klassy.

Laural Dawn October 3, 2007 at 7:55 am

totally with you on this. I was not sick with my son.
    And I keep repeating to myself that morning sickness (and afternoon sickness and night sickness)is good because it means I’m pregnant.
    Have you tried “preggy pops”? My sister is getting me some today. I hear they work.
    On the train everyday I keep sipping lemom/ginger tea and peppermint tea and so far I’ve managed not to throw up.
    good luck.

meanie October 3, 2007 at 7:55 am

ginger tea and an anti-nausea bracelet worked for me.

kgirl October 3, 2007 at 8:21 am

ack. poor you. i know how much it sucks.

i prescribe lemons – sliced and ready to be sniffed. peppermint is good too, but only until the heartburn kicks in.
    (the joys!)

hmmm… maybe it’s a boy this time.

verybadcat October 3, 2007 at 8:42 am

I’ve never been pregnant, so I can’t help you there. I just wanted to disagree with the chick that said she would rather throw up something than nothing. Lady, you are entitled to your opinion, but may I point something out?

Nothing doesn’t come out your nose. Something on the other hand…..

Hope you feel better soon, HBM!

b*babbler October 3, 2007 at 8:53 am

I can unfortunately recall this stage all too well, and you have my complete, unfailing sympaty. If it gets really bad though, please take yourself off to the hospital for some IV fluids. Don’t wait until it gets so bad that you end up having to stay in for a couple of days to get re-hydrated.

With the Diclectin, have you tried taking it just at night, or before naptime? I when I took it, it sometimes made it better to just take it before natural sleep times.

I hope this passes quickly for you (although it will never seem quickly enough).

Her Bad Mother October 3, 2007 at 9:20 am

Heather – I so get you. I had no nausea with Wonderbaby, and was constantly worried. But it turned out fine. Still, I *wished* for nausea some days. That seems kind of silly, now, from the vantage of the toilet bowl… but I know what you mean.

I know I need to eat, I just don’t want to. SO DON’T WANT TO. Am living on rye bread and ginger ale.

Christina October 3, 2007 at 9:21 am

I was terribly sick both times. Saltines and ginger ale help. Sea Bands (the anti-nausea wrist bands that work on acupressure points) helped the most for me. Also, keep eating small amounts all day long. The key is to never be hungry, but never be full, either.

I remember that nausea well. Hope you feel better soon.

Lara October 3, 2007 at 9:40 am

A lot of this is repeat, but eating a bit at all hours helped a lot. And I took just enough diclectin to take the edge off, but not so much I couldn’t get up and go to work. And know that it won’t last forever.

Laura October 3, 2007 at 10:08 am

I had non stop nausea (and had a boy!). I advise small amonuts of goldfish crackers all day long – keep them within arms reach at all times! And the sea sickness wristbands were a huge help.

Officialy de-lurking today…

Anonymous October 3, 2007 at 10:22 am

hi catherine i’m sorry you have such hellacious morning sickness.i had it bad with my last 2 pregnancies.from the time my eyes opened in the a.m. until they finally shut at night. i couldn’t even brush my teeth until well into the afternoon.yuck. i hope it ends after the third month for you. i was lucky that way.have you tied all of those home cures ie, ginger,crackers,or those bracelets.hope you find something soon that works.LAVENDULA

rachel October 3, 2007 at 10:23 am

alot of people mentioned it, but seriously, smelling fresh lemon would usually temporarily releive the horrible nausea

Motherhood Uncensored October 3, 2007 at 10:59 am

I have nothing intelligent to offer you.

When I felt nauseous, I ate.

Hence the 70lbs weight gain.

Brandy October 3, 2007 at 11:51 am

I am so sorry the nausea is that bad. The only thing that seemed to help me was keeping my blood sugar constant and eating more protein than carbs (which my midwife definitely recommended). For a while I was living on crackers and Sprite but of course they were doing little for me. I switched to things like peanut butter, cashews, meat with every meal and things got a lot better. Oh and I drank high protein Ensure in the morning and right before bed to give my body a little more of a boost. I actually really liked the chocolate and I had never even tried the stuff before pregnancy. Anyway, good luck and I really hope you’re able to find something that works for you.

Hannah October 3, 2007 at 11:56 am

Sorry if anyone’s said this already but I found that if I ate during one of my nighttime pee runs – say, the one around 4AM – I didn’t wake up sick. Then I could manage breakfast, and I was OK as long as I kept something in my stomach at all times. Saltines and nuts seem to have worked well.

My 24-hour sickness (progesterone poisoning?) for baby # 1 was bad enough, but baby # 2 (in progress) has been much worse. I’ve no idea how much weight I’ve already gained but I know that if I stop eating, I get sick.

Good luck!

wayabetty October 3, 2007 at 12:54 pm

First and foremost, CONGRATS to you if I haven’t said it already! Sorry about all those “crapasticness”!

I’m sure Mrs. Chicky has given you some advice since she’s also knocked up! Hope it’ll pass soon!! Take care HBM!

The Hotfessional October 3, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Sorry – I wasn’t sick either with my first (and only), and it looks like you’ve got a bunch of advice here. So, I’ll just offer a {hug}.

Miguelina. October 3, 2007 at 1:36 pm

I swore by peppermint everything.

Good luck.

Amy Jo October 3, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Here’s hoping that soon you’ll be well enough to dance with the little fetus that’s causing all this ruckus!

hostess October 3, 2007 at 2:02 pm

I was so sick with my son that I lost almost 15 pounds my first trimester. Then my doc wanted me to gain that weight back plus the 20 pounds you’re supposed to gain. Never happened. The only thing that ever allowed me to not throw up hourly was the Sour Citrus Altoids and Sour Patch Kids. I could only drink ginger ale, no water. I couldn’t even take the drugs because they made me more nauseous. Luckily, it completely vanished at 14 weeks, and I was (finally) able to go about my daily life.

pkzcass October 3, 2007 at 2:23 pm

Think of it this way. If you weren’t sick, you’d probably be hungrier than normal, and you’d be eating like a pig, and end up gaining 75 lbs in the end. Instead, you’re sick, not eating too much (but the baby is FINE…really), and when you do get hungry enough to eat for two, then you’ll be that much further ahead of the game!

I hate to bore you with my pregnancy story, but I will anyway. I was pregnant at the same time as a coworker. She felt great, I felt lousy…sick 24/7 the first 3-1/2 months and then constant heartburn after. I gained only 24 lbs.; she gained 60. I was back to pre-baby weight within two weeks; she still wasn’t after two years. HAH! I always hated women who “loved being pregnant.” I hated every minute of it but got two wonderful boys out of it, so I guess I can’t complain too much.

And I don’t buy the being sick thing makes it a boy. Said coworker wasn’t sick three times, and three times she had boys.

Best wishes, and I hope you feel better soon.

ewe are here October 3, 2007 at 3:19 pm

Bummer. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for you, as ‘morning sickness’ really didn’t affect me much with either pregnancy. Just a twinge or two of feeling slightly off a few afternoons for each one early on…

And, for the record, I produced two particularly robust, healthy boys.
    ;-)

Lydia October 3, 2007 at 4:24 pm

I’m in your boat. No m/s the first time, and now at 10 weeks I am Queen of the boat Nausea.

Apples. Crunchy, tart apples. That and ginger ale are saving me.

good luck!

Michele October 3, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Lemonade and salt and vinegar potato chips. Sour and salty seems to be the key in my family.

Sarah October 3, 2007 at 5:15 pm

with my first i threw up everyday for 27 weeks, and that was WITH the diclectin. continual munching on dry carbs (crackers, popcorn) sometimes helped, and those preggie-pops – Motherhood Maternity carries them help too. I feel for you sister!

Robbin October 3, 2007 at 5:19 pm

Well, I didn’t have a lot of nausea with Harry, but what little I had I controlled with a combination of Seabands (those accupressure wrist bands for motion sickness – wore them the entire first trimester), sour Jolly Ranchers and lemon water. For some reason sour candy, the sourer the better, took the edge right off.

Anonymous October 3, 2007 at 5:41 pm

delurking to say that without the end results (a baby), pregnancy really blows. also, today is delurking day so Hi! and will go back to my corner and hide now.

k

mamatulip October 3, 2007 at 6:45 pm

I ate Diclectin like Skittles but man, they knocked me out too.

Try peppermint. Sprinkle a few drops of peppermint oil on your pillow. Red raspberry tea helps, as does ginger root.

Roz October 3, 2007 at 8:52 pm

I totally agree about: ginger tea (slice some off the root, then steep and add a little honey or maple syrup to take the edge off), citrus anything (for me it’s white grapefruit), never letting yourself get hungry, and red raspberry leaf tea (old midwives’ tonic- just snatch some off a bush and do a little brew). The other thing that’s helping me get through this trimester (and this sounds sadistic, knowing how you feel) is going out for a walk. It’s pure hell getting out the door every day, but I’m doing it cuz I can’t handle being a jungle gym for my toddler. And, weirdly, I actually feel better after. Mind you, I’m a deflated shell of a mother come nap time, but thank god I’m lucky enough to have that luxury! Good luck!

velocibadgergirl October 3, 2007 at 9:05 pm

I have no wise advice, but I’m sending happy-tummy vibes your way!

Andy October 3, 2007 at 11:04 pm

I’m too lazy to read all the comments before mine, so it’s very likely it’s already been mentioned before, but taking my prenatals at night really, really helped. That and never letting my belly get empty – almost constant saltines between meals from the minute I woke up.

Am I delurking here? I’m a mo’fo delurker today and I’m on a roll.

nomotherearth October 3, 2007 at 11:07 pm

I’m personally all about the gingerale.

I have heard (and this is not my idea so don’t hate me), that exercise actually helps with the nausea. I’m betting it’s the last thing you feel like doing (which is why no one I know has been willing to try it), but I’ve heard it works.

Me, I would just lie on a couch and moan. Hang in there.

something blue October 4, 2007 at 12:26 am

That does not sound like fun. I demand the nausea to cease. (If only I had that kind of power.)

dodo October 4, 2007 at 6:33 am

ginger biscuit (we call them ginger nuts – they’re very hard) before sticking so much as a toe out of bed in the morning

Jenny October 4, 2007 at 8:34 am

Zofran saved my life. I was still a bit sick but it helped and it doesn’t make you sleepy.

I feel for you, sweetie.

Morning sickness is the worst thing ever.

Mad Hatter October 4, 2007 at 10:21 am

OK, I don’t have time to read 90 comments to find out if someone else said this BUT i took the diclectin. It knocks you out for a day or two and then your body gets used to it. Persevere. It saved my life–I was so sick that I passed out if I stood up or got warm. It can save yours too.

BOSSY October 4, 2007 at 3:03 pm

Gah. Does. Bossy. Know… If. There. Is. A. Gah. Sorry, honey. Oh, wait, does ‘honey’ make you woozy?

Haley-O October 4, 2007 at 10:15 pm

Eeeeee! Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!!! I’ve been out of the loop for too long!!! Feel well, Catherine!

I couldn’t take Diclectin either — knocked me out and made me MORE DEPRESSED! I took Tums to help with the indigestion…. Nothing helped the nausea. Hang in there. I know it’s brutal — but it’s worth it…. :)

weight loss October 5, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Ginger really helps to settle the stomach.

Nonny October 5, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Pregnancy One: no morning sickness; not even a hint of nausea–gained 17 pounds

Pregnancy Two: a non-stop pukefest for seven months, by which time I had quit work and graduate school because I couldn’t get off the couch–hyperemesis and lots of IV rehydration–finally started Bendectin (no longer prescribed)which worked like a charm; the only other things that remotely helped was ice-cold, icy lemonade (the real stuff, made with real lemons and not too much sugar), flat ginger ale (the more ginger the better), wrist accupressure, and cold, cold fresh air. Oh, and fresh blueberries. Lost three pounds. Prayed for death.

Pregnancy Three: puked once every morning (and then fine for the rest of the day/night) for nine months; graham crackers and hard-boiled eggs in addition to above. Gained 70 pounds.

Results: three beautiful girls, none weighing less than 7 1/2 pounds, all of whom are now lovely young women.

Sending lots of sympathy your way, not that it’ll do ya any good.

Toni October 5, 2007 at 4:27 pm

Ginger ale and dry toast or baked potatoes. That is what worked for me. Sending you lots of good thoughts and hopes that you will find your magic remedy soon…

Nina October 5, 2007 at 11:55 pm

I too am in the throes of “morning sickness” with baby #2. Baby #1 I had horrible all-day morning sickness well into the fourth month. I threw up four-six times a day, was always (always!) nauseated, and lost 10 pounds.

Those sea-sickness bracelets totally did not work for me. I wore them for two or three weeks and my nausea kept getting worse. Ginger also didn’t work, but I know a lot of women swear by it. (Note: most ginger ales don’t actually have ginger in it…I think Hansen’s does though.) When other women suggested saltine crackers, I seriously wanted to slap them. I know that sounds mean, but my nausea was so way beyond saltines.

Things that did work: lemons. I carried around a bag of sliced lemons, kept cut lemons in every room of the house (the scent helped me not to gag when I entered a new room with new smells), and sucked on a lemon every time I felt like gagging. It didn’t really help me throw up less, but it helped make me feel slightly better a little bit of the time.

That said, with #2, I have been trying really hard to force myself to eat small meals regularly. I crave refined sugars, but they make me crash and leave me more nauseated than ever. Protein and carbs (forget the veggies because, um, those are really disgusting coming out the other way). It seems to be helping to manage it so it doesn’t spiral into this life-sucking, virtual starvation that I went through last time. The last thing I want to do is eat, but I’m seriously forcing myself to do it.

I’ve also enlisted all the help from family that I can get in caring for my son. It’s nearly impossible when I’m so nauseated and weak.

Truly, truly hope it gets better for you soon.

Ruth Dynamite October 6, 2007 at 7:03 pm

Both you and Mrs. Chicky need to bite the ginger bullet. You will feel better. (I hope you do!)

Mrs. Mustard October 6, 2007 at 8:18 pm

good lord, the all day sickness. This is pregnancy #2, and I am nauseated all day every day. Like that for pregnancy #1 for the first 4 months. Is no fun. Especially since we are now running after our toddlers instead of indulging in me-time.

Bitsy Parker October 7, 2007 at 1:23 pm

There is just nothing to do but lay in your bed and watch bad television. Iced tea, packed with ice, gave me the slightest reprieve from the nausea.

That you are writing two blogs AMAZES me. It’ll end soon. Like that is ANY help! Soldier on!!

P.S. Thanks so much for the nice comments about my writing. I really, really appreciate it.

Izzy October 7, 2007 at 10:43 pm

Congratulations to you and your family. That’s wonderful news!!! I’m so happy for you but I’m sorry you’re feeling so shitty. How many weeks are you??? Close to twelve, I hope???

(Please excuse my extreme tardiness in extending my congrats. Life has been more than a little upside down for the past six weeks and I’ve been a very bad blogpal. Forgive me?)