Aaaaaand, I’m Out

November 5, 2007

That whole NaBloPoMo thing? It’s an OhHellNoGo. Can’t do it. Thought that I could do it. Was wrong.

I had figured, what the heck, I post something online pretty much everyday. Here, or at MommyBlogsToronto, or at Babble, or, now, at MamaPop, and if I’m not writing something original for those sites I’m posting something by proxy in the Basement. The informal rules of the NBPM game have it that you can do your posting anywhere, and I figured, hell, I’ll just link from here with a bit of commentary if the muse isn’t singing, yadda yadda. But here’s the thing: that just feels like a cop-out. The whole point of this exercise was to push myself to write something substantive. And I can’t do substantive if I’m trying to figure out just how to get some text on the screen every day.

That, and it’s kinda hard to keep those fingers tapping when you can’t keep your head out of the toilet. Blaaaaah. Thought that I was on an upswing. Was wrong. The combination of constant nausea and exhaustion and the psychic fatigue of getting and keeping the house looking decent enough to sell is well-near killing me, and something’s got to give.

So what’s going to give is posting every day, just for the sake of posting. I’m only going to post when I have something to say, and when I’m together and rested enough to say it.

Sound good by you? Good. Now, I’m going to go sleep for a day.

Mac and Cheese November 6, 2007 at 9:34 pm

Sounds like a plan.

b*babbler November 6, 2007 at 9:43 pm

Way to fight the power! :)

Seriously, I sat down and thought about it, and realized I just didn’t want to fill up people’s readers with mindless drivel, because there was no way I was coming up with something intelligent and worth reading every day (and I don’t even have the head-in-toilet excuse.)

Speaking of… Is Diclectin not working at all for you? I know they can adjust the dosage upwards if you need it.

mothergoosemouse November 6, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Exactly why I opted out this year. Well, I don’t have the “head in the toilet” problem. More like the “head in the ice cream carton” problem.

Her Bad Mother November 6, 2007 at 9:45 pm

Oh, Blithe… the saga of Diclectin. It takes a higher dose to help the nausea, but the higher dose turns me into a zombie. Not the flesh-eating kind, but close. It’s, like, being torn between two evils.

Madame M. November 6, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Sometimes you must do the thing that you must do. Feel better.

Kimberly November 6, 2007 at 10:18 pm

ugh, I remember the Diclectin dance. You have more than my sympathy, you have my emapthy. Nobody really understands hyperemesis unless they’ve suffered through it–it’s not morning sickness. We long for morning sickness. Morning sickness feels like a beautiful dream. Which is a longwinded way of saying, “welcome to the club. I’m so sorry you’re a member.”

And thanks. Not that I don’t love seeing you pop up on my bloglines, but I love it more when I know you’ve posted because you want to, not because you feel you have to.

Phoenix November 6, 2007 at 10:27 pm

Sounds like the best thing to forget about. I knew I couldn’t do it. Hey you made it…like 6 days. :)

Kyla November 6, 2007 at 10:31 pm

Sleep well, Cath.

liv November 6, 2007 at 11:42 pm

Yeah. I’m sort of wondering what I’m doing with the NaBloPoMo myself. It gets to be 11 pm each night and I wonder what on earth I have to say. Maybe nothing.

flutter November 7, 2007 at 12:48 am

sleep=good.

Karen November 7, 2007 at 1:00 am

health and sanity take the day!

Sarcastic Mom (aka Lotus) November 7, 2007 at 3:33 am

Smart momma.

Hope you feel better. Really.

Lara November 7, 2007 at 4:29 am

i know i haven’t commented in a while, but i just wanted to say i’m proud of you for not letting yourself feel pressured to stick it out “just because.” get the rest you need, and post when and if you feel like it. hell, maybe it’ll be pretty much every day anyway. but you won’t feel like you HAVE to do it. and that’s what counts.

hugs. :)

Jezer November 7, 2007 at 7:50 am

I think your plan rocks. I did the NaBloPoMo thing last year, and I didn’t even think about it for two seconds this year. I have no idea how you do all the regular writing that you do, anyway. Hang in there.

bubandpie November 7, 2007 at 8:28 am

I never signed up, but I did experiment with posting every day to see if I liked it, and it was throwing off my rhythm – even though I had posts ready to go, it just didn’t feel like it was time yet to post them. I like a 30-hour turnaround a lot of the time.

Naomi (Urban Mummy) November 7, 2007 at 8:36 am

Sleep. It is good. ANd much more important!

daysgoby November 7, 2007 at 8:44 am

Oh damn, really?

You have wonderful, important reasons, and I understand them…I’m just sorry I won’t get to read you every day.

But quality over quantity! And with that, my dear, you never disappoint.

Now go to bed! What are you doing up??

Multi-tasking Mommy November 7, 2007 at 8:46 am

Oh, oops…we were supposed to post something substantive?!!!

Hehe!

Liz November 7, 2007 at 9:54 am

Substansive? I must’ve missed that part of the NaBloPoMo rules.

But: Nigh’nigh’ HBM. Have a loverly nap and do what you need to do to get by. Family first, Blog last… feel better.

Lara November 7, 2007 at 11:15 am

Ugh! The diclectin dance – it’s awful. I had a friend call me just last night asking how I made it work for me. Just enough to take off the edge so you can somewhat function, while still expecting to have to be sick fairly regularly. That and realizing if I hate tons of cheese sandwiches, vietnamese food and french fries I felt much better. ha ha

I hope you feel better soon – definitely wasn’t the right time for NaBloPoMo.

Mrs. Chicky November 7, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Go sleep. S’much better. Zzzzzz.

mrs. mustard November 7, 2007 at 4:15 pm

Good for you for not caving to the pressure to post everyday!
    My google reader thanks you, as well :-P

Christine November 7, 2007 at 9:04 pm

dude–there is no way i could post everyday. i would never sign up for the torture that is noplowhateveryoucallit.

WhyMommy November 9, 2007 at 5:02 am

Cut yourself some slack, HBM! You’ve got PLENTY going on this year! And posting for the sake of posting sucks. Life is short. Do what you enjoy.

Staci Schoff November 11, 2007 at 4:03 pm

I can’t post every day. I’m just not that good. It takes me at least two or three days to write something that I think is worth asking anyone to read.

Staci Schoff November 11, 2007 at 4:04 pm

Oh and I hope you get your head out of the toilet soon!

Victoria November 14, 2007 at 6:21 pm

Hello there–

I hope that you’ve been feeling better from your bout with pneumonia and nausea… I’ve enjoyed reading your blog, and I was wondering if you’d be interested in some free Pampers Stages products as part of a project we’re working on with Pampers. We’re looking for the honest opinions of parents, and I wanted to know if you’d like to review the product on your blog. If you’re interested, just let me know and we’ll send you a Jumbo pack of the correct size along with a tub of corresponding wipes. Please email me if you’re interested, we’d love to have your voice included.

Thanks so much, and keep blogging! -Victoria@rocketxl.com