Alien-Baby Ate My Brain!

February 22, 2008

Through the miracle of modern technology, you can now see your baby, in utero, in three dimensions. Which is to say, you can see a teeny little baby with a teeny little face and teeny little hands all curled up and totally beyond fetal in his teeny adorableness while he is still tucked away deep inside your lady parts.

Also, however, you can see your own umbilical cord, pressing against his face like some sort of intra-uterine alien life form that might just develop a consciousness and a will of its own and creep out of your nether regions and strangle you in the night. Which, you know, is disturbing. No more disturbing that some of those pregnancy dreams that can sneak up on you, I suppose, but still (am I the only who has had nightmares about nursing mutant kittens? No? Never mind). Maybe there’s too much information that comes with being able to get a three-dimensional glimpse inside one’s own uterus.

That said: LOOK AT MY TEENY-WEENY WIDDLE SPROUT WITH HIS ITTY-BITTY LITTLE HAND AND HIS PRECIOUS LITTLE MOUTH OMG!

********

I was going to write something about science today, for the PBN blog blast, about imagination and scientific thinking and the magic of looking at the world through learning-goggles, but then I got all distracted by the pictures of the baby oh my god the baby – and, also, by my persistent exhaustion and crankiness and general inability to craft a sentence that is built upon language more sophisticated than oh my god, like, you know? So. You should still totally go read the other posts, tho’.

Also? Are you going to be watching the Oscars Sunday night? Because there’s going to be a super awesometastic snarkerrific open-thread Oscar party over at MamaPop, and I can’t promise anything, but there might be popcorn and naked pillow-fights. I can promise that there will be Kegel-straining blather about the aliens on the red carpet. And, also, some drooling in the general direction of Jon Stewart. So. Join us? We’re kicking it off at 7pm, EST.

Veronica February 22, 2008 at 7:00 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one with weird dreams about nursing mutant kittens.

Phew!

Heather B. February 22, 2008 at 7:01 pm

I think it’s the coolest thing in the world to see a 3D ultrasound. I love seeing the facial features. You can already tell that Sprout is going to be the cutest little boy.

liv February 22, 2008 at 7:02 pm

ooof!!!! he is SO cute. your bad son is adorable!

Janet February 22, 2008 at 7:05 pm

I so dig those 3D ultrasound pictures. Sadly, I was too cheap to pay for it.

Liz February 22, 2008 at 7:05 pm

delicious. and creepy. creepily delicious?

something blue February 22, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Wow! He’s already immensely adorable.

Oh and it is likely the effects of my headache causing my vision to be impaired but he appears to be wearing a striped shirt. Getting your son dressed while in your womb is very impressive!

Jezer February 22, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Gosh, he’s really handsome.

Heather February 22, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Hey, he’s not skeletor anymore. In fact, he’s really handsome.

Totally jealous about the 3D ultrasound. Wish I could peek at the Munchkin like that.

ewe are here February 22, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Very cool 3D pic you have there… such coolness was not offered on the NHS when I was preggers.

Blog Antagonist February 22, 2008 at 7:53 pm

I wish they’d had those when I was pregnant. I did get one of the more high falutin’ ones because of my pregnancy issues, but it wasn’t nearly as detailed as the newer ones.

Beautiful baby!

MsPrufrock February 22, 2008 at 7:59 pm

Cute kid, even with the umbilical cord!

That Oscars party is maing me supremely jealous. Bloody time zones…

Law Student Hot Mama February 22, 2008 at 8:02 pm

I was so grossed out by the placenta when it was delivered. It looked like a big, rotten liver.

But the baby part is awesome!

flutter February 22, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Frig, that is so damned cool!

Maddy February 22, 2008 at 8:45 pm

The miracle of modern technology!
    Very best wishes

b*babbler February 22, 2008 at 8:46 pm

That is so very cool! He’s going to be a cutie!

daysgoby February 22, 2008 at 9:11 pm

Aw! He’s loverly!

Angela February 22, 2008 at 9:41 pm

That? Is amazing!! How cool is that? I am so jealous. I want to have another baby now. Or maybe not. Maybe I just want the photo.

Mimi February 22, 2008 at 10:22 pm

I dreamed about squirrels. But never mind that! Cute fetus!

Christina February 22, 2008 at 11:02 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who had nightmares while pregnant. It’s so not fair – I never got the good sex dreams, but had plenty of nightmares about wolves and killer clowns.

The Sm'allards February 23, 2008 at 8:24 am

Mutant kittens? No. But I did dream the Sea Monkey was taken out of me at 35 weeks to “see if he was a boy or a girl” and when I screamed for them to put him back in, they said they couldn’t. So I tried to nurse him – only he immediately turned into a Ken doll. Ever tried to nurse a Ken doll? Not fun.

Amy U. February 23, 2008 at 12:14 pm

We are Borg. Resistance is futile.

But also, cute. heh

Assertagirl

Rae February 23, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Wow, the umbilical cord looks so… tentacular. Tentaculous? Like a tentacle.

But the baby! The baby is adorable.

And I’ve had many nightmares while pregnant. In my last one, my husband was trying to convince me that we needed a second wife- to HELP WITH THE BABY. I woke up having a heart attack and was so thankful to see him sleeping there, only ever wanting one wife.

Kyla February 23, 2008 at 2:18 pm

Oh, your Sprout! How we worried about him…and now to see him all snug and glorious…it is a gift, isn’t it?

wright February 23, 2008 at 2:27 pm

What can I say – HE IS ADORABLE! I love the 3D pictures.

The Estrogen Files February 23, 2008 at 2:57 pm

What a relief to know that I’m not the only one who dreams of nursing a cat! Sprout is gorgeous!

Kelly February 23, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Those lips are clearly made for much parental smooching. What a lovely babe!

Lori at Spinning Yellow February 23, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Very cool, and bizarre, but fabulous to be able to see none the less.

When I was pregnant with my son I had a crazy dream where I gave birth to my dog and then tried to nurse her all fawn-like with long legs and then thought, hey, she eats kibble, whew, so glad I don’t have to breastfeed!!

mothergoosemouse February 23, 2008 at 4:41 pm

3D ultrasound is da bomb, isn’t it? And Sprout is absolutely adorable.

Jennifer February 23, 2008 at 9:48 pm

He is beautiful!

Jenifer February 23, 2008 at 11:00 pm

We did a 3D ultrasound with Rosebud and it BLEW my mind…Sprout looks like an angel.

MommyTime February 23, 2008 at 11:14 pm

I think this counts as writing about science. That whole three-d ultrasound thing? It’s totally science!

TheMacMommy February 24, 2008 at 1:14 am

Way-cool 3-d pic! That is so amazing. When they were taking the images, could you also see him moving in 3-d on the screen or is it just a picture by picture kind of thing? Why couldn’t God build us with a little window like a port hole so we could peek in? I guess this is the next best thing to a ‘womb with a view’ ha ha ha.

oh yeah, John Stewart- so hot. I might actually watch this year just because of him. ;)

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Carmen February 24, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Completely and totally adorable.

Like he would be anything other.

Aimee Greeblemonkey February 24, 2008 at 4:51 pm

I soooo wise these were more prevalent when I had Declan!!!

Pendullum February 24, 2008 at 6:09 pm

OMG he’s beautiful…
    Just beautiful!

Chris Austria February 24, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Your post brings back memories when we had our youngest. BTW, love your sense of humor :)

~**Dawn**~ February 24, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Just wandered over from Thirty-Something Bloggers.

And I will OMG with you. a) It is freaking amazing that they can show you your baby in such startling detail while still baking. And b) I know all babies are born precious but when you take biology in high school and they give you the little fetus drawing in your text book, you kind of go through life thinking that babies just don’t have facial features & cuteness much prior to arrival. And yet there your baby is, all perfect, with little round cheeks just begging to be kissed. (You don’t know me though, so I will respect all commonly known social boundaries, I swear.) It freaking amazes me how perfect babies are though.

Anonymous February 25, 2008 at 12:27 am

oh catherine he is beautiful and precious….and even though i never dreamt about nursing mutant kittens while preggers i did have a lot of other bizarre dreams….LAVANDULA