29 Weeks

March 4, 2008

My current profile. Which resembles what, exactly?

a) A clutch of environmental protest balloons?

b) The dark side of the moon as depicted in velvet geek art?

Or, c) Alfred Hitchcock’s silhouette?

And, should I be disturbed that I have ten-plus weeks to go and already have the proportions of massive helium-inflated objects, the fifth-largest natural satellite in our solar system, and a dead, obese film director?

*********

Do you have a minute? A fellow blogger, academic and mom is doing some research to complete her PhD, and needs your help. All you need to do is respond to a simple survey about how blogging has made a difference (or not) to your experience of motherhood. Click here, or on the survey button at left (right under the funky MamaPop bling). More details here if you’re interested.

Midwest March 4, 2008 at 11:04 pm

I feel your pain! At 28 weeks, I’m there with ya.

Heather March 4, 2008 at 11:06 pm

Oops. Pregnant lady brain and I commented as the wrong person!

cheezewhizandmustard March 4, 2008 at 11:23 pm

31 weeks over here. We are all starting to look like the dark side of the moon, I think…

Major Bedhead March 4, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Second (and, in my case, fifth) pregnancies always seem to be HUGE and ROUND and ohmyGAWD-like. I felt like a house with my last pregnancy. So, not much of a consolation, but at least you’re not alone. Is that any help? At all? No? OK, how about some chocolate?

Momily March 5, 2008 at 12:00 am

I’m 34 weeks and can’t fathom being any bigger than this! I’m bigger now than I was at the end of my 1st pregnancy. My profile looks like that of the principal in the Archie comics!

flutter March 5, 2008 at 12:19 am

seriously? So cute.

Dana J. Tuszke March 5, 2008 at 1:03 am

I think your silhouette is beautiful. I regret not taking photos when I was pregnant. I was so self-absorbed and worried about my size. It would be nice to look at a photo now and try to remember what it was like to be pregnant. (We’re trying, but it’s not working. Ugh. Whole other story.)

Those ten weeks will be over before you know it. Hang in there! :)

Jenny March 5, 2008 at 1:30 am

I miss being pregnant. There was no one to scream in my ear when I said no!

nonlineargirl March 5, 2008 at 2:02 am

From my limited experience, you look fairly right on target for 29 weeks. At a baby shower this weekend, the showered woman (at 34 weeks) looks barely pregnant (she’s very tall and broad shouldered) while a (third-trimester) guest (very thin) looked like she was going to pop at any moment. Both women feel like the freak, of course.

JCK March 5, 2008 at 2:13 am

Your silouhette is awesome! The Proud, The Pregnant!

I’ll do the survey soon.

daysgoby March 5, 2008 at 8:12 am

Hitchcock-ian, I’d say…

(But only because it makes me laugh to think of you doing an imitation of him!)

Oh puh-leeze don’t name that teeny little guy Alfred…..

motherbumper March 5, 2008 at 8:59 am

I just tried typing out the Alfred Hitchcock presents music but it just didn’t work. BUT considering you always make a cameo in your posts, I’m going for dead director. Oh wait, you weren’t looking for “oh you can barely see your wee bump” comments, were you? In that case, oh honey who can tell when you are wearing black?

wright March 5, 2008 at 9:03 am

You look fabulous!

Liz March 5, 2008 at 9:52 am

I’m only at 25 weeks and I’m equi-huge. Woof.

But? You look lovely!

Hannah March 5, 2008 at 9:53 am

I still haven’t taken any pictures, because I’m almost afraid to know how big I am with seven weeks to go. People keep asking when I’m due and then looking surprised when they hear it’s basically two months away. I’m thinking this is not bode well for what I actually look like right now…

I’ll do the survey when I’m not at work. When the research is done I’d love to see a follow-up post about her conclusions.

Jenifer March 5, 2008 at 10:48 am

Nice belly! Seriously. I grew all strange and never had that nice in the front belly.

Dani March 5, 2008 at 11:18 am

I think you look beautiful, and only ten weeks to go.
    I regret not having more pictures while I was pregnant. I delivered Jeffrey at 29 weeks and in all the pictures I have barely looked pregnant.
    Plus better an Alfred Hitchcock belly than an Alfred Hitchcock baby. right?

Anonymous March 5, 2008 at 11:39 am

catherine i’d go with the velvet moon art its retro and kinda cool looking and i think your belly is awesome and beautiful LAVANDULA

Law Student Hot Mama March 5, 2008 at 12:06 pm

1. I’m scared of my next pregnancy because you look so much bigger so much sooner.

2. Why don’t they make maternity clothes for women in their third trimester? The maternity clothes just don’t seem to be big enough.

3. I vote for Option C.

Mom101 March 5, 2008 at 12:30 pm

I think you look just womanly and voluptuous and goddess-like.

Ten weeks may sound like a lifetime to you, but here I am thinking “Ten weeks? That’s it?

So there’s that.

Christine March 5, 2008 at 2:00 pm

i think that belly is gorgeous lady!

Running on empty

Laural Dawn March 5, 2008 at 3:03 pm

OMG – I would never have thought to compare your preggo belly to a clutch of environmental protest balloons.
    I do see the similarities … in a good way!

7aki Fadi March 5, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Sorry in advance but I find this post hilarious! HAHHAHAHAHA

mamatulip March 5, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Having seen your bump in person recently, I can attest to its cuteness.

Cara March 5, 2008 at 4:36 pm

I feel your pain. I wore a purplish/blue sweater the other day and my husband thought I resembled the Violet from Willy Wonka (the original) after she ate the candy and blew up. I still have 6 weeks to go, he will have to roll me into the delivery room.

kittenpie March 5, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Pah. I’m already ridiculously huge at 12 weeks. Ack! With pumpkinpie, I got so pregnant, I outgrew a lot of my maternity clothes. She was normal sized, but apparently I was carrying around a LAKE – the nurses were astounded, honestly. I lost all 50 lbs in fine time, no worries. You’ll get there and be just fine, Alfred. Meanwhile, may I call you Hitch? (JOKE! I JOKE! NO HITTING THE OTHER PREGNANT LADY!)

Ree March 5, 2008 at 9:25 pm

You’re so cute. And my pregnancy was so long ago, I can’t even remember what it was like. I’m guessing you FEEL like Alfred Hitchcock, but you have a much nicer rack. ;-)

Amy Jo March 5, 2008 at 9:39 pm

I think you look lovely! That is an awesome shot. And for my vote, I’m going with Hitchcock. Not because you look obese, but because I love his films just as I love your writing!

Gah, that was quite gushy, wasn’t it? Sorry. I’m in a somewhat different hormonal situation.

Jozet at Halushki March 6, 2008 at 12:07 am

Thank you. That large balloon thing coming out of the car’s rear end will certainly show up in my dreams tonight.

stephanie March 6, 2008 at 1:39 am

Well when you put it that way, it does seem…well. But I think that silhouette is outrageously sexy beautiful – it screams I HAVE HAD SEX, PEOPLE! No one has to know it was 29 weeks ago…

And at least you’re not proportional to the first largest natural satellite.

Kelly March 6, 2008 at 9:40 am

I still feel so much instant affection for that form. I know it’s easy for me to say, currently not with child, but you do look lovely.

Elizabeth March 6, 2008 at 11:09 am

I thought the same thing as Mom101-29 weeks already? You’ll be having WonderBoy in no time! And your belly looks gorgeous, just think that there is a whole PERSON in there! Go, go, goddess-mama.

Kris March 6, 2008 at 11:35 am

As I sit here and eat peanut butter out of a jar spread on an apple, I feel your pain at 25 weeks. Second pregnancy and I’m a freaking house already.

emma March 6, 2008 at 1:10 pm

No – you look like the Venus of Willendorf, a fertile godess!

ewe are here March 6, 2008 at 7:12 pm

You’ve just reminded me why I really don’t want to do this again.

Hang in there… home stretch!

tulipmom March 6, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Your silhouette is just beautiful.

I am 34 weeks tomorrow. But here’s the interesting thing …. NOW people tell me I look great for being so close to the end (not sure if that’s a compliment but I’ll take it) whereas at 28 weeks people couldn’t believe I had so much longer to go. “But you look so HUGE!”

And I have to echo law student mama’s question about the maternity clothes. All of a sudden I feel like I have nothing to wear. Do I really need to buy MORE maternity stuff NOW with only a few weeks to go?

Gardeners United March 6, 2008 at 11:56 pm

I know exactly what you mean dear
    Please look at my blog if you have some spare time. I am new at this
    Thanks
    Hattie

Anonymous March 7, 2008 at 12:03 am

I feel your pain – at 16 weeks the second time around I feel the same as I did around 25 weeks last time! You look great, though!

Shannon March 7, 2008 at 12:18 am

B for baby? B for boy?

monster paperbag March 7, 2008 at 1:10 am

it looks like my papa’s profile.. he really should cut down on the beer..

gwendomama March 7, 2008 at 2:22 pm

you look way hot.

Redneck Mommy March 7, 2008 at 5:13 pm

I can’t wait to rub that bump.

The big one. I’ll try to refrain from the two little (or not so little…snicker) ones. But I can’t promise.

Heh.

The Estrogen Files March 7, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Well… At least you know it will get better soon. I’m thinking of the rest of us who look a little, uh, fluffy in “real” life – not just pregnant life! Whatever – just enjoy it while you can!

jenB March 8, 2008 at 3:03 am

your belly is incredibly beautiful. gorgeous.

mothergoosemouse March 8, 2008 at 7:48 pm

Your silhouette is beautiful. Perfect for belly pics.

Christina March 11, 2008 at 10:26 am

That is a perfectly round baby belly, just right for 29 weeks. You look like a goddess with that beautiful shape!

I’m still in shock that you only have 10 more weeks to go. Where did the time go?

mo-wo March 14, 2008 at 12:02 am

Sorry I am so weak on comments. I have no real excuse.

But tell me [more].. are you going to do this?

Pamela March 20, 2008 at 10:20 am

Ok, it’s awful, but I am so glad to know that someone (at 29 weeks) is as miserable as I am. Yuck. I am halfway dying for this to be over, and halfway freaking out over the idea of having a newborn AND a toddler. Nice to know I’m not alone!!