Pregnancy. Sucks.

March 3, 2008

You know? It just really, really does. And this is supposed to be the honeymoon period, isn’t it? Where you revel in second-trimester glowiness, free of the first-trimester barf-exhaustion-anxiety trifecta and not yet at the third-trimester combo of intense fatigue and just-so-sick-of-this-ness? Why didn’t I get me some of that? Somehow, I managed to land myself in a second trimester that has been marked by dizziness and fainting and boob rashes and mood swings. (Yes, I am still crumpling to the floor, even having put myself on a strict diet of iron-rich everything grilled in a cast-iron skillet followed by iron-supplements chased with iron-enriched soy milk. Which means that I have to go back to the doctor for more probes, which, you know, SUCKS, and have I mentioned about the suckage?)

Which, come to think of it: I’m not even in my second-trimester anymore. I am in my third trimester oh my hell. What happened? Where did my honeymoon period go, why wasn’t I there to enjoy it and what is up with my brain cells that I can’t even keep track of how far along I am?

Am going to back to bed. Will catch up with you all later when I am not so fucking whiny and full of miserableness. And when, maybe, I can say something more substantive than ‘I suck at this.’ (Although perhaps not quite so substantive as last week’s 80′s-pop-obsession-with-nuclear-war-fueled-my-teen-angst post, which really made the crickets sing. Which, you know, I totally get.) Anyway. Maybe I’ll have a fig newton, and then go back to bed. You know, so that I can wake up later all cheerful and go-get-’em and shit. I’ll be better company then.

(A question, though, totally sincere-like: is it just seriously bad mojo to be miserable in pregnancy? Am I sending all of my bitchy-vibes directly down through my blood stream and into my uterus where they are toxifying the fetal environment? And, is this all evidence of my general weakness as a human being? Why can I not do this without complaining, loudly and interminably? Help?)

gurukarm March 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm

I SO worried about that too (the possibility of seriously bad mojo w/#2), but was blessed to end up with the most amazing boy-child. He has his issues, sure (at the advanced age of 14!) but also is the sweetest, best, most darling child. I hope for the same for you. :-)

7aki Fadi March 5, 2008 at 3:32 pm

pregnancy sucks ass

mamatulip March 5, 2008 at 4:28 pm

I was MISERABLE with Julia…just MISERABLE…and she’s quite a happy kid.

So g’head. Be miserable.

qotfu March 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm

I am 35 weeks preg with my first. A long awaited first too, 3+yrs trying, IVF/ICSI etc etc and yet where is my glow? I cry and hate the world and bitch and moan and I can’t help wondering what effect is this having on little nugget?
    Where are my happy hormones?

cara March 6, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Pregnancy can be horrendous. Drives me crazy when celebrities say they could could have stayed pregnant forever because they loved it so much. Liars!!!But you will get there. And the ‘result’ really is worth it.

Janet March 6, 2008 at 3:39 pm

I only had the second trimester honeymoon in my first pregnancy. The second pregnancy kind of sucked. The third pregnancy offered, state-of-the-art, all-the-way-through suckage. I was miserable and pouty and self indulgent during that pregnancy. Guess what? I birthed the most lovely, docile, contented baby of the three.

Gardeners United March 6, 2008 at 11:57 pm

I know exactly what you mean dear.
    Please look at my blog if you have some spare time. I am new at this
    Thanks
    Hattie

supertiff March 7, 2008 at 12:01 am

actually, i was really moved by your post about the 80′s music. so moved, in fact, that i decided not to write my own.

so, there you go.

Anonymous March 7, 2008 at 1:33 pm

I am on my second pregnancy 11 weeks along and I hate every minute of it. I’m grumpy and impatient with my first, and my husband. I’m only about half as sick with this one as I was with the first but I also have half the patience to deal with it. During this pregnacny my doctor said that I can actually take Collase and Milk of Magnesia for the constipation…and now I can actually poop which I think is why I’m half as sick as the first time. I think the constipation poisons my body after awhile and my stomach refuses to put anymore down the track so I just puke. So getting things going has been really much better than the first time when I thought I could take nothing. Dumb stupid first doctor! Another thing that helps with my nausea is to always keep a little bit of food in my tummy even if I just puked, and the best thing I can stomach is pre-canned chocolate slim-fast. It’s been a life saver for me and if I do puke it doesn’t tase so bad and chunky coming back up. But, I’m still miserable. I hate this. My husband stinks to me when I’m pregnant too and it drives me crazy. See how mean I’m feeling! Argggggg!

Robby March 8, 2008 at 2:38 am

As a young woman not yet even considering getting pregnant, it’s extremely refreshing to read that pregnancy isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.

This is the best birth control a girl can get.

allrileyedup March 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm

I don’t know much, but I do know that women who claimed they weren’t miserable during pregnancy lied. LIED!!!!

Good luck with all the iron. The iron supplementation did some serious damage to certain other aspects of my digestive process. I highly recommend Senekot.

Anonymous April 14, 2008 at 6:17 pm

Thank for having this site. I am sitting here with terrible constipation, terrible nausea & I’m puking constantly. This sucks so bad, I just want to crawl into a hole and hibernate until I am done incubating.
    I am only 9 weeks and the thought of having to do this for pretty much THE REST OF THE YEAR is depressing and sad. I am generally a pretty avid runner and very active and the fact that I can’t be “normal” pisses me off. No matter how many times my husband kisses me and thanks me for carrying our child, I can’t help but be resentful….Sigh.

Her Bad Mother April 14, 2008 at 6:25 pm

Anonymous – I bitch a lot, but it’s not ALL hell. There’ll be plenty of moments when you just feel round and glowy. CLING to those moments. ;)

Anonymous June 11, 2008 at 1:42 am

*singing* It’s your blog, you can bitch if you want to! (And to anyone who hasn’t had kids and says “aren’t you excited?”) You’d bitch too if it was happening to you!
    I’ll stop singing now and attend to my toddler…

Anonymous June 17, 2008 at 3:16 pm

I agree. This sucks ass! I’m 18 weeks pregnant and in 3 weeks I’ve gotten BV, UTI and now I think I have a yeast infection. Why don’t you just remove my defective vagina now and get it over with. Like it’s not going to get pummled enough when I manage to squeeze a thing the size of my cat through it!

Anonymous July 8, 2008 at 7:07 pm

I am 8 weeks, and this sucks!!!!!!! I also hate the fact man don’t have to give birth :( … right now I just bitch about living, this blog helped me realize I am not the only one.

Anonymous August 7, 2008 at 1:50 pm

It’s nice to hear everyone hates pregnancy as much as i do! and you know what i hate my hubby too. I’m working 50 hours a week and have a 2 year old- i come home from work to my dumbass hubby laying on the couch and doesn’t help me with jack shit.

I can’t wait to get sterilized.

Anonymous January 21, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I’m 19 weeks and have told my husband from the day we found out that I am doing this once – and I mean once. It’s bad enough to be stretching my body out but there’s no way I am going through this again. Adoption will bring our next children, not me. Can’t wait to go back on birth control. I’m not as sick as I was before but reading all of the “lovely” things that are going to continue to happen to my body makes me sick. And if one more person tells me how excited they are I’m going to pop them in the nose. If they’re so excited they can go get pregnant – and shut up about it.

Anonymous April 9, 2009 at 5:02 pm

It is so great to know that I am not the only one that feels this way. This is my 1st and will be ONLY pregnancy. I am so over the insane nausea, fatigue, clothes not fitting, not sleeping well, and every smell making me want to hurl. What up with all the women say how it “not so bad”. Yes it is! I wonder if childbirth causes amnesia?

I miss my pre-pregnancy life, and I am only 11 weeks…I will never tell anyone how it’s “not so bad”. Good Luck Ladies.

Anonymous April 28, 2009 at 12:17 am

Pregnancy sucks.

I’m almost 12 weeks. I vomit at least once a day, can’t go to the bathroom if I’m on my anti-nausea meds (Zofran causes severe constipation), and I’ve recently been suffering from nasal congestion. One pregnancy site I read says, “While annoying at times, keep in mind that a stuffy nose is nothing dangerous and will generally resolve itself shortly after delivery. Consider it another reminder that you are creating the miracle of life within you! Keeping a box of aloe infused tissues handy will do wonders for your spirits and your nasal discharge.”

!!!

That writer must be either a man or one of those women who “loves being pregnant.” I wish I knew more specifics, so that I could throw something at him/her.

I adopted my first child and have been so nostalgic for that experience. Basically, my husband and I went on an awesome vacation to central Asia, where I ate and drank what I wanted, and returned home with a beautiful little girl.

If there are three kids in our future, you know by which route he/she will get here.