In Which Payback Is, Like A Resentful Toddler, A Bitch

April 7, 2008

There’s a reason, I suppose, why the airport people were looking at me funny when I left New York Saturday afternoon: am pregnant. AM VERY PREGNANT. And women who are well into their 8th month of pregnancy should really, maybe, think twice before taking busy trips to New Jersey (after which I will never be able to think of my nether-regions in quite the same way again, thankyouverymuch) and also to New York City’s karaoke bars. Because that shit will knock you on your ever-expanding ass, I promise you. It was worth it a thousand times over, for sure (better than sticking hair clips onto a disembodied head? Watching MetroDad and Laid Off Dad duet the shit out of Kenny Loggins. And witnessing, first-hand, Lisa Stone’s passion for Salt ‘n’ Pepa, a passion that is very possibly greater than my own. Oh, and pajama-partying with a couple of my very favoritest ladies in the history of the world, ever, in a lovely little flat overlooking Gramercy Park. I could go on, but…)

… I’m exhausted. More exhausted than I’ve ever been, except for maybe that time I was in labour for 34 hours. And fighting off what I’m sure is some exhaustion-induced sick that is going to keep me whiny and bitchy for a few days. (Okay: whiny and bitchier.)

So you’re going to have to wait to hear about Wonderbaby’s attempt to run away from home while I was gone. You’ll also have to wait to experience the full force of my pimping energies for the website-formerly-known-as-MBT, now the new-and-improved, all-Canadian Better Than A Playdate, which launched today, and to feel the snap of my whip directing you to WeCovet (where, today, you can learn about caffeinated lip balm and eco-cookies, both of which you need, like, now.) In the meantime, you can go check that stuff out for yourself, and maybe also pay a visit to CoolMomPicks, just because I said so, and also because they could use the business after throwing all sorts of moneys at that aforementioned karaoke party.

And then, when you’re all done, maybe spare a moment to feel just a teeny weeny bit sorry for my ass-kicked pregnant self. Unless, that is, you’re like my mother, who right now, is somewhere shaking her head and saying, that’s the trade-off, sweetie, for not knowing your limits…

Mom101 April 7, 2008 at 4:53 pm

I like that you compare our time together to a day and a half in labor. I didn’t get to eat junk food at 2:30 AM in labor. Otherwise, I think you’re pretty much on the mark. Rest up my sweet.

Heather April 7, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Heck, I feel tired just reading about your travels. Of course I spent friday walking around the Mall of America with my hubby and kids and have the blisters to prove it, but I never said I was a smart big pregnant lady either.

kittenpie April 7, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Well, this just DIDN’T make me feel sorry for you… Instead? Oh, MAN?! You got to see MetroDad hit Kenny Loggins?! And sigh wistfully… I used to work just around the corner from Gramercy, and live a few blocks further up. Sigh.

Assertagirl April 7, 2008 at 6:21 pm

@Mom101, try not to feel so bad, HBM compared being stranded, locked out of a truck with me to the movie “Alive.”

Beck April 7, 2008 at 7:18 pm

That image of the uterus prolapsing will stay with me for the rest of MY life.

Her Bad Mother April 7, 2008 at 7:20 pm

I tend to bad choices in analogies, I know.

Heather B. April 7, 2008 at 10:23 pm

It was bad enough hearing about it and reading the twitters but then I find out that a lot of this stuff happens after children though at 50 things kind of even out. But still! I am now terrified.

But thank you for letting me continuously touch your belly. Since that seems to be how I will be experiencing pregnancy; VICARIOUSLY.

Jaelithe April 7, 2008 at 10:55 pm

You are superhuman, HBM. I am not pregnant and did not go to karaoke and yet still feel I am recovering. (I did, though, have to immediately leave home again after arriving from the airport Friday evening, to go to a friend’s house to help entertain more friends from out of town, which I guess was sort of like karaoke, only it involved playing Apples to Apples instead.)

Hope you feel better soon.

Don Mills Diva April 8, 2008 at 11:03 am

I don’t know how you do it Catherine – you are a force of nature!

Lisa Stone April 8, 2008 at 11:51 am

I agree with don mills diva! I couldn’t even speak when I was so pregnant. Or sing and get your groove thang on like you did. It was fantastic seeing you…

toddlerplanet April 8, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Oh! NOW I know why you twittered Better Than a Playdate. I went, but didn’t get the connection. Mommy Blogs Toronto. Of course.

Glad you’re home again!

Jenifer April 8, 2008 at 7:22 pm

I’m with Beck that image is stuck forever.

Beth April 10, 2008 at 1:52 am

You showed some impressive party action for a pregnant women… Now time to get off your feet and be waited on… (ok to dream…).

Adventuredad April 10, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Sounds like a great time. I’m impressed by your party abilities this late in your pregnancy.

I wen out with MD a couple of years ago during a NYC rip, reat guy

AD