Somewhere, Cronenberg Is Wishing He’d Thought Of This First

May 4, 2010

It’s wonderful, of course, that Jasper’s daycare goes to the trouble of helping the toddlers make personalized Mother’s Day gifts, but one wonders whether they aren’t also trying to send us a vaguely threatening message. Or maybe it’s a cry for help. I’m not sure:

arach-jib

Something along the lines of: every day after you drop off your child he turns into a huge arachno-lepidoptera and consumes the ECE assistants. Lo their bloody fingerprints! Or perhaps it’s a warning: if you do not potty train your child within the next month we will turn him into a gigantic octofly and your bloody fingerprints will be the mark of his wrath! Or something. I’m bad at coded messages.

Seriously, though: what is that?

Linda May 4, 2010 at 10:46 am

The message is that beautiful smiling face!
    Linda

Catherine May 4, 2010 at 11:25 am

True that :)

Alexa May 4, 2010 at 10:56 am

Hmmm. Well, I am pretty sure those are stigmata on the top set of hands…
    .-= Alexa´s last blog ..Ill Communication. =-.

Catherine May 4, 2010 at 11:26 am

How could I not notice that those were stigmata? So many layers to this code! Where’s Robert Langdon?
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..Somewhere, Cronenberg Is Wishing He’d Thought Of This First =-.

Elizabeth May 4, 2010 at 10:58 am

If it’s supposed to be a buttefly, it would make more sense if it just had the top set of hands. If it’s not a butterfly, I have no idea. But Jasper sure looks cute!

Her Bad Mother May 4, 2010 at 11:31 am

Yeah, but… since when do butterflies have, you know, LEGS? (or are those tentacles?)

Luann May 4, 2010 at 11:12 am

It’s a butterfly. I have gotten the footprints on top of flower stems the last 3 years running so I’m pretty good at interpreting hand/foot print beings.

Her Bad Mother May 4, 2010 at 11:32 am

I just replied to Elizabeth, above, who also says it’s a butterfly, with this question: WHY THEN THE LEGS? (or the tentacles. or whatever they are.)

Sugar Jones May 4, 2010 at 11:13 am

I think the teachers are probably eating paste at nap time.
    .-= Sugar Jones´s last blog ..Teacher Appreciation Week for Sugar Mama =-.

Catherine May 5, 2010 at 2:24 pm

or smoking it.

habanerogal May 4, 2010 at 11:14 am

I would consult some sort of hieroglyphics interpreter
    .-= habanerogal´s last blog ..A Quickie Quitting Update =-.

Assertagirl May 4, 2010 at 11:19 am

Aw, it’s cute! I love his little face pasted on there.
    .-= Assertagirl´s last blog ..Playing outside. =-.

C @ Kid Things May 4, 2010 at 11:40 am

I think your kids being eaten by a mutant butterfly. Or, you know, daycare is just a front for some really good drugs.
    .-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..Blogiversary =-.

Terresa May 4, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I thought it was a caterpillar, with a shrunken head….

Jen May 4, 2010 at 1:15 pm

That’s actually quite creepy.

And also, I’ve had the same fear that my daughter’s daycare will say the same about her lack of potty training.

Chrissy May 4, 2010 at 1:40 pm

It’s a butterfly, doing some jazz hands. When my son went to Catholic preschool he used to bring home sweet little pictures of heaven he drew with crayon; usually with a water slide and Darth Vader thrown in for good measure.

Chrissy May 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm

…or they’re doing Canadian filmmaker month and next week he’ll bring home talking butthole typewriters made out of salt-dough and little stories they’ve written told all out of sequential order, usually about Armenia.

Catherine May 5, 2010 at 2:25 pm

If he brings home butthole typewriters, we’re moving.

Mary (BarnMaven) May 4, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I love those daycare mother’s day projects. Some of them are complete tear-jerkers, and others are total “wtf is THAT?” thingiemaboppers.

Jasper’s smile is contagious, though.
    .-= Mary (BarnMaven)´s last blog ..Listless Monday: Butchering the Language(s) =-.

Becky May 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Clearly it’s an “After” of a butterfly stuck in the oil spill. Mother nature save us all!

Catherine May 5, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Bonus points for bringing in the oil spill. Because, yes.

steph May 4, 2010 at 4:47 pm

It’s a butterfly and it’s CUUUUUUUTE!!!

GreenInOC May 4, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I believe that is what is referred to by scientists as the “One headed conjoined anteriorly butterflius”.

You’re welcome.
    .-= GreenInOC´s last blog ..Watch "Food, Inc." =-.

Blue May 4, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Such a cutie, that kid…crazy butterfly tentacles or not.

Mary May 5, 2010 at 8:44 am

Maybe if you look at it with 3D glasses you’ll see a secret message. I see the butterfly though, does that mean I’m still sane?

Sarah H. May 5, 2010 at 11:49 am

I just wanted to say thanks for your honesty in this blog. It inspired me to get a little more serious and honest than I am normall comfortable with in my own blog. It’s hard not to cut sincerity with humor, for my anyway. And that butterfly is super extra creepy. Like, one-eyed doll in an ominous basement creepy.
    .-= Sarah H.´s last blog .. =-.

Amy May 5, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Hey, I give your daycare huge points for creativity. It’s like they wanted to give you an interesting blog topic–that was their gift to you! The stuff my son brought home from his daycare, and now preschool, goes straight into the recycling bin.

jael May 5, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Dear HBM-

I used to read you alot and comment. I wrote some articles about “pumpy” and then I left the inernet for a while. You commented very kindly as to my writing ability.
    Recently, I’ve been writing again. I suspended my blog because I have a lot of anger. Too much. Or, maybe not. I can’t be sure. I found where you mentioned a year of believing dangerously. I really need you to comment more on what that is about. I trust very few people, but I’ve read you enough to know that I would, in real life, be able to tell you anything. You are that real to me. I look up to you, in other words. So, if you have the time (and I know your free time is sparse– I have six kids and work two jobs, plus am headed back to school, so I do understand) I really need you to explain to me what believing dangerously is all about and why you decided to do this. In the time since I stopped reading and following you, I don’t believe in anything… it’s related to the anger. I’m very curious, and I respect you. I guess I am looking for an excuse to start believing, but I can’t think of a rational reason to have faith. Thanks.

Her Bad Mother May 6, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Ah. Tough one. I’m struggling with faith myself.

But, but… ‘believing dangerously’ is my attempt to dare to try to have faith. I refer to it as dangerous because I find the exercise daunting and a little bit frightening – but that’s the whole point. It feels scary, and maybe it’s supposed to at first. After all, they must call it a ‘leap’ for a reason. So. I’m treating my issues around faith as having to do with a *fear* of faith – and so getting to faith means overcoming that fear.

But it’s a struggle. I hear you. Come by anytime and ask me anything you like about it. I write about it now and again ;)

Silvia May 6, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Just wanted to tell you that the title of this post made my day, thank you! Spot on!

mapsgirl May 11, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Ah yes, hand print art. I have one too. Tho mine is 4 yellow hand prints in a circle in the attempt to be a sun (palms) with sun beams (fingers).

Wait until you get the hand print turkey for Thanksgiving.
    .-= mapsgirl´s last blog ..Shuffle and Stuff =-.

Her Bad Mother May 12, 2010 at 8:16 am

I’ve seen those hand print turkeys, and they terrify me.