One Word

November 4, 2010

her bad wordsThere really aren’t words to describe the awesome that was – that is – Blissdom Canada. Unless that word is, actually, AWESOME, in which case we’re off to a decent start.

We spoke a lot about words over the three days that we spent together, even in sessions that you might not have thought would draw heavily upon the verbal and the literal and the rhetorical. During the closing keynote panel, we discussed personal branding, and our opening keynote speaker’s assertion that we are, all of us, marketing ourselves all the time, and what words have to do with this. Every every time that you put yourself out in the world and participate in social life – he said – every time that you open your mouth (use your words!) or put your fingers on a keyboard (use your words!), you’re marketing yourself. You’re saying: oh, hey! This is who I am! I am THIS guy! I am THAT girl! Which is kind of a crazy way to think about social like and interpersonal relationships, but you know what? It’s kind of totally true. And so by the end of our two days, we wondered what that had to do with the totally over-used and amply abused idea of The Brand, especially in the context of One’s Personal Brand, as in, oh, hey! WHAT’S YOUR BRAND? as the latter-day equivalent of ‘what’s your sign,’ except much less obscure, and, perhaps, slightly creepier if misused.

blissdom canada rocks

The word you’re looking for here is ROCKSTAR.

Anyway.

At some point, I asked my co-panelists if they could summarize their ‘brand’ – which is to say, describe themselves as they see themselves putting those selves out into the world – in five words. “Do it in one!” someone shouted from the audience, and my co-panelists (the divine women that you can see in this video) nodded furiously and said yes, yes and I shook my head and insisted, into the microphone, that I couldn’t do it in one, and everyone shouted back, no, no: ONE WORD, and so I conceded and asked my co-panelists: “what’s your one word?”

“Tired,” said Julie.

“Grace,” said Janice.

(“Ooh,” I said. “I want that one.”)

“Industrious,” said Erica.

“And what about all of you?” I asked, speaking directly to the audience. “Who wants to stand up and say their One Word?”

I can’t remember who it was – they were hecklers, all them – but someone yelled out: “NICE TRY! What’s YOUR word?”

I hesitated. I didn’t want to do it. I couldn’t think of a word. ONE word? How could I narrow it down to one word? “BAD” seemed the obvious choice, but was that too cheeky? Too self-deprecating? “Um…” I said.

“Good!” someone shouted.

“Good,” I said.

“Bad,” said someone else, and a few others hollered their agreement. Fine.

“Bad,” I said, and then, just to make sure everyone knew that I knew that it was a sort of cheeky word, and that I can’t quite take it seriously unless I append a thousand-word expository essay to its use, I lowered my voice and repeated it in a hammy, radio-announcer voice: “baaaaad.”

And then we moved on. Others stood up and claimed their words, and later people began tweeting their words, and using the hashtag #oneword to mark their participation in this quote-unquote branding exercise that wasn’t so much ‘branding exercise’ as it was ‘exercise to challenge our core understandings of ourselves’ and ‘exercise that demands we articulate clearly who we are and why we’re here, dammit.’

Blogger (writer/artist/creator/human), define thyself.

I remained unhappy with how I’d defined myself. Sure, I’m “bad”, in the sense that I’ve appropriated the word ‘bad’ as it pertains to motherhood and womanhood and, what the hell, personhood, and turned it to my own use, the use of rejecting externally and artificially imposed ideals. But ‘bad’ is a cause more that it is a definition, and, sure, ‘bad’ is an integral part of my so-called brand, but does it describe all that I am? No.

I maintain that no one word can capture us perfectly, describe neatly the us of us, in all our complexity (the complexity that I insisted, in that session, could and should be part of our so-called brands. “We are vast,” I said, quoting loftily from Whitman. “We contain multitudes.”) But there’s something elegant about the challenge to distill our personae, however we understood those, down to an essence, down to the essence, the essence that, somehow, communicates us.

And so I thought about it. Is my One Word ‘good’? Is it ‘bad’? Is it ‘silly/flighty/kooky/smart/vain?

I am still thinking about it.

And thinking about it.

And thinking about it some more.

I’ve thought about words like ‘inspired’ – not inspiring, inspired – and ‘grateful’ and ‘reflective’ and ‘fearless-ish.’ I’ve thought about words like ‘writer’ and ‘crier.’ I’ve thought about words like ‘dork.’ I’ve thought about words like ‘love.’ I’ve thought about words like ‘fun.’

her bad girly fun

I’ve thought about some other words that I’m too shy to say, for fear they might be seen as too meek or too vain, and that is why I added ‘-ish’ to ‘fearless,’ above. I’ve thought about words like ‘confused,’ but then I want to append a parenthetical suffix, like ‘- happily so’ or ‘sort of.’

I’ve thought that I should be better at this.

I’m going to sit with this for another day or so. I’m going to hold the words in my heart and turn them over there and see which one settles. But in the meantime: what’s your One Word?

(And – if you don’t mind – what would you suggest as a word for me?)

*Photo greatness from the divine Ms. MooshInIndy, also known as Casey, also known as Pregnant Snow White, also known as awesome.

geekbabe November 3, 2010 at 11:25 pm

FUNNY #oneword

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:25 pm

@geekbabe, I envy anyone who can claim ‘funny’ – go for it!

Tamara November 3, 2010 at 11:36 pm

For you? Oh gee. Since the only way I know you is through my long-time blog stalking, (kudos on the blog, by the way. big fan. nice to “meet” you), I don’t know if I can be of much use, but I’m going to give it a shot. The first word that came to mind was ‘bold’. But not bold in a bad way. Not bold as in ‘brash’, but bold as in ‘individual’, ‘fearless’, ‘not insecure’. You are who you are and you let your kids be who they are. I think that’s really important and really beautiful.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 9:09 am

@Tamara, nice to meet you, too. :)

and, bold? I like it.

Jen November 3, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Bold is good. So is fearless (without the qualifying “ish” please.)

Or here are a few more: Generous. Devoted. Impassioned.

It’s exceptionally difficult to choose one word, and commit to it. It is hard enough to rattle off four or five words you think describe…but one? Very tough for wordies and perfectionists alike. ; )

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 9:11 am

@Jen, I know, right? HARD.

I’m really not truly fearless, though. I carry a lot of fear. I push through it a lot, but it’s still there. So I’m not fearLESS. Maybe I have some courage (on the Aristotelian understanding of true courage being a mean between rashness and cowardice), but I don’t know.

Impassioned is good. I like that.

Jen November 4, 2010 at 9:44 am

@Catherine, I like impassioned because I think many other things come from your passion. You are courageous or brave because of your passion, perhaps. ; ) You create good in the world because of your passion. I like it.
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..One Word =-.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:25 pm

@Jen, okay, I’ll put impassioned on my core list ;)

EarnestGirl November 3, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Dear Catherine, you are struggling because *of course* there are so many words but the one which immediately flowered in my mind, the one which I have applied to what often happens to my own thoughts after reading your posts, is wheel.

Wheel as in what birds do when they circle and soar, but mostly wheel as in a Catherine Wheel. Revolving fireworks. Sparks which continue to sparkle. I am still thinking of your recent God post, and here you are with another few paragraphs of provocation which set the wheels turning again.

{This is why I rarely end up in your comments. I think too long to keep up.}

Which in turn (do you see where I am going with this?) brings me to turning. You have described your process many times as hand-wringing. I think it is more: you blog your thoughts out loud – wring your hands publicly if you will – but really, it is not all angst. You are a skilled self-deprecator. {spellcheck says this is not a word. i beg to differ. it is, and it is pronounced in a distinct Marvin The Martian accent.} There is a tremendous amount of reasoned thought here. Many many considered ideas and opinions wheeling. Sometimes they are sparkly, sometimes explosive, there is darkness and light and whoosh and wow. There is quiet reflection. There is ohmyGOD Africa, and the children, and Tanner, there is awe and bang, and there is the hiss of weariness, the glints of everyday loveliness.

All of these thoughts turn on one another, illuminate your meta-narrative.

You are a Catherine Wheel. And you are beautiful.
    .-= EarnestGirl´s last blog ..Variations On Shades Of Gray =-.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 9:12 am

@EarnestGirl, dude.

I kind of want to hang this on my wall and look at it every single day.

Bon November 4, 2010 at 9:03 pm

@Catherine & Catherine…

this made me think of Heart Like a Wheel, by the McGarrigles. or Emmy Lou Harris. gawd. my brain is cabbage. anyhoo, a theme song, for that particular suggestion.
    .-= Bon´s last blog ..landing =-.

mapsgirl November 4, 2010 at 12:07 am

The first word that came to mind when I think of you is “passionate”. But it wasn’t enough. I needed a big, amazing word. I checked a thesaurus to see what it had to say about passionate and there was the word for you…

affecting.
    “moving or exciting the feelings or emotions.”

With each post you write, I am always left thinking and reflecting; emotions stirred. And after meeting you and seeing you in action, I definitely think that affecting is your word.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 9:13 am

@mapsgirl, I like affecting. but I’m also affectED, not in the conventional sense, but in the sense of being affected by others. How to capture both?

mapsgirl November 4, 2010 at 9:55 am

@Catherine, I see your point. Maybe we just need to make up a new word. And yet again… you’ve got me thinking.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:26 pm

@mapsgirl, sorry ;)

Backpacking Dad November 4, 2010 at 12:08 am

Your #oneword is ‘moist’.

My #oneword is ‘you’re welcome’.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 9:18 am

@Backpacking Dad, I kind of hate you right now.

JustMom420zaks November 4, 2010 at 12:10 am

Oooh!! I like Impassioned.
    That’s my vote.

mine was unique #oneword
    at this point, not very unique of me
    .-= JustMom420zaks´s last blog ..Sweet Freedom =-.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:26 pm

@JustMom420zaks, I think that unique is lovely. Because anyone who can see and own her uniqueness IS unique. And powerful ;)

MakingTime November 4, 2010 at 1:40 am

I only “know” you through your blog, too, but I suggest “fierce”.

For myself? I’ve rattled through a few and am stuck on “present”, which is maybe presumptuous, but, like I said, I’m stuck on it.
    .-= MakingTime´s last blog ..One for the Record Books =-.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:27 pm

@MakingTime, ‘present’ is a wonderful word. I would love to be present, or to be consistently present.

And: love fierce. It has a bit of a Tyra feel to it, but she’s pretty fierce herself, and there’s a whole lot that’s awesome about that.

Donna November 4, 2010 at 8:00 am

Your word would be “striving.” I don’t know what mine is – too hard to figure out. I’ll get back to you.
    .-= Donna´s last blog ..Happy Halloween =-.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:29 pm

@Donna, do get back to me. I’m fascinated by the whole struggle with this ‘word’ thing – my own, obviously, but also that of others. Would love to hear what you come up with.

‘Striving’ – interesting. Need to reflect on that.

KMayer November 4, 2010 at 8:40 am

Real does it for me. Smart does it for you.
    .-= KMayer´s last blog ..Ann Taylor LOFT- Kiss My Oozing Thighs =-.

The Domestic Goddess November 4, 2010 at 8:44 am

I’m gonna go with optimistic.

To a fault. People hate it. BUt that’s me.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:30 pm

@The Domestic Goddess, oh, I love ‘optimistic.’ It’s one that I was tempted to apply to myself. I actually have a whole post in draft in my head about how I’m fundamentally optimistic, even through depression and difficulty. I’m a depressive optimistic! There is SO such a thing!

The Domestic Goddess November 4, 2010 at 8:39 pm

@Catherine, I annoy the hell out of people with my cheery disposition, energy level and glass-always-full mentality. Sure, life is hard but I STILL HAVE IT GOOD. There is always someone else with a worse scenario than you have, despite the circumstances. And people think I have it bad because of what I deal with (autism X2). Nah.

karengreeners November 4, 2010 at 8:49 am

Yours: Ambitious. (nothing wrong with that, btw. we only think it could be negative when we attribute it to women, so one more reason to appropriate it and wear it with a big, hells yeah.) Mine – um… shit. It’s so much easier to do somebody else’s.
    .-= karengreeners´s last blog ..Does This Motherhood Look Good On Me =-.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:33 pm

@karengreeners, I totally agree. Ambition is underappreciated as a virtue (?) for women. And I’ll own it ;)

Now, I want to hear yours. Work on it, lady, and report back!

bea November 4, 2010 at 8:52 am

I’m with KMayer – smart.
    .-= bea´s last blog ..Good Writer- Bad Person =-.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:34 pm

@bea, I’ll take smart. Especially when it comes from a smart person :)

Sara Hamil November 4, 2010 at 8:55 am

Is there a way that every attendee can get a framed copy of that first photo? Because, I mean, SERIOUSLY – You guys epitomize awesome and that photo basically sums up every memory I have from Blissdom. So. Much. AWESOME.

As for the one word business, I too have been having a hard time with this. For you, I do like “inspired”. Or maybe just “inspire”? Does it have to be descriptive? Because to me, you are an inspiration and to me you seem like an individual that lives in a constant state of being inspired. I like it.

Oh god, I’m starting to feel all emotional and stuff. No weeping in the office!

Anyway, if the word doesn’t have to be necessarily descriptive and can instead be just a word that “fits”, then I’m going to stick with what I know: gumption.

And on that note, I feel a blog post coming on.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:37 pm

@Sara Hamil, I LOVE gumption. TOTALLY.

I like ‘inspired,’ too. But you’re right, it’s hard – do we go with description of our own state, or of our effect on others, or…?

If you like the pic, check the photo credit link at the end – Casey of Moosh in Indy took it (among many awesome others) and she might be willing to sell prints.

Annie @ PhD in Parenting November 4, 2010 at 8:58 am

My one word for Catherine: philosophactivista.

My own word…follow the link ;)
    .-= Annie @ PhD in Parenting´s last blog ..One word =-.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:37 pm

@Annie @ PhD in Parenting, like I said on Twitter – I might just have to put that on my business card. LOVE.

Heather Solos November 4, 2010 at 9:25 am

A word I’m struggling to achieve, but seems to fit you is: remarkable.
    .-= Heather Solos´s last blog ..Countdown to Turkey Day November 4- 2010- The Soft Menu Plan =-.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 12:08 pm

@Heather Solos, *blush*

Greta November 4, 2010 at 9:29 am

Snarky
    .-= Greta´s last blog ..What’s In It Wednesday—Dannon Fat-free Yogurt =-.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:37 pm

@Greta, nothin’ wrong with snark ;)

Erin November 4, 2010 at 9:34 am

Honest. You never shy away from needs to be said. You open up the darker parts of yourself that most people would not share with other people. You call people out on their less than honourable behaviour. You share your joy, frustrations, laughter, and struggles.

Thanks.
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Me-ness =-.

Catherine November 4, 2010 at 8:41 pm

@Erin, thanks for that :)

Barnmaven November 4, 2010 at 10:05 am

Powerful.

Not in the sense of being authoritarian, but in the sense of the way you move mountains for people who need them. Your trip to Africa this year, your endless work to help your sister and her son, the way you’ve begun to see your place in this world as being a force for good…powerful. A year or two ago I might have said you were dynamic or passionate or deeply introspective and thoughtful. And you are all of those things, but in the course of time you have become a force to be reckoned with. You are using your voice in a way that is powerful.
    .-= Barnmaven´s last blog ..The one where I claim- despite all evidence to the contrary- that Im not losing this battle =-.

Katherine November 4, 2010 at 10:14 am

Hmmm. Well, to me you are a very literary sort. (Have you ever read her Jabberwocky post?) So the word needs to represent you, but I think it also needs to be juicy.

Instead of bold, for example, I like dauntless or intrepid.

But as you mention your fear, I find pertinacious an interesting choice, because even though you have fear you don’t give up.
    pertinacious [ˌpɜːtɪˈneɪʃəs]
    adj
    1. doggedly resolute in purpose or belief; unyielding
    2. stubbornly persistent

Still noodling on this …
    .-= Katherine ´s last blog ..Going Through The Motions While Fighting Postpartum Depression =-.

Trudy November 4, 2010 at 11:13 am

After reading your blog I would call use the word “achieving” for you because you seem to achieve a lot. For myself I would choose inner peace (hey thats 2 words) since that’s my biggest goal!

Trudy November 4, 2010 at 11:49 am

May I suggest empowering for you as well.

katerz1 November 4, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Open.

Dee Brun November 4, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Without a doubt…and many times to a fault..My word is TRUE ….

For you…I say….. REAL

Cheers
    Dee

Tarasview November 4, 2010 at 12:38 pm

well since I can’t come up with my #oneword either I am not the best to give advice.

How about Immersed. Or Heartfelt. Or Indubitable. Or Solace. Enchanting.

How about Priceless.

I told you I suck at this :)
    .-= Tarasview´s last blog ..Scotch-Brite Dirty Little Secrets GIVEAWAY =-.

Frannie C November 4, 2010 at 12:40 pm

#oneword constipated.

Pregnancy is hard yo.
    .-= Frannie C´s last blog ..Good news and nerves =-.

daffodil campbell November 4, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I like “thorough” as your word. I love how you examine things and describe things and feel things so thoroughly – from your tippy toes to the top of your head. Another choice? “Advocate”. Because you give a voice to many who have none or who can’t shout loudly enough to get our collective attention. Plus, righteous indignation is two words.

Or you could just go with moist. (((shudder)))

My word is “naked”. Because I just let it all hang out.

Kat C. November 4, 2010 at 1:01 pm

For you, I would say “true” which in the dictionary comes up as: real; genuine; authentic; sincere

For me, “candid”.

eliza November 4, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Just found your site a few days ago and i am in love! that being said i do not have the feel for your one word yet. and i have no idea what mine would be either…. I agree with the statement that we are all to complex to narrow down to one word. This is illustrated by our constant need to explain why we have chosen specific one word. I would like glow to be my word. Because i hope that i glow with everything i need to, and because when i cannot glow, basking in someones elses soothes my soul.

see? explaination for chosen one word. I do not believe there is one word in any language that can appropriately describe any persons ‘essence’ we’re all just too damn cool for that ;)

Her Bad Mother November 4, 2010 at 8:48 pm

such a lovely way to express the challenge here – and deconstruct it.

and glow is wonderful. we should all aim to glow.

Her Bad Mother November 4, 2010 at 8:49 pm

(oh, and – welcome! I sense that I might fall in love right back!)

Gen November 4, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Well, after my email to you yesterday, I would have to throw gracious into the mix. But I think that was more about that particular incident.

From the short time I’ve been reading you, I’d say that if I had to describe your blog in one word, it’d be intent.
    .-= Gen´s last blog ..A Confession and Concession =-.

Her Bad Mother November 4, 2010 at 8:46 pm

No worries at all about that email – such things happen on the wild wild Interwebs ;)

And thank you for ‘intent.’ I love that.

kelly @kellynaturally November 4, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Undisguised.
    .-= kelly @kellynaturally´s last blog ..Changing Education Paradigms =-.

Mel Gallant November 4, 2010 at 2:29 pm

At first, I thought my #oneword is funny. But it didn’t sit right; I realized that word isn’t representative of the “totalness” of me. @chickymara suggested warm, which I thought was nice of her because warm is a wonderful way to be perceived by others.

Thinking on it some more, I believe my #oneword is sincere.

For you, I’m suggesting “instigator” but not in a start-trouble-kind-of-way. More, you motivate and inspire.

Her Bad Mother November 4, 2010 at 8:47 pm

INSTIGATOR!!!

makes me feel like the naughty kid at the back of math class. in a good way, though ;)

(really)

Rhonda November 4, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Compassionate. As in caring, tolerant, non-judgmental. Through your writing you strike me as many things – extremely intelligent and articulate, courageous, fierce – all those things that everyone above has said you are. But what always strikes me is your empathy and compassion with other peoples’ situations.

Her Bad Mother November 4, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Oh. That made me tear up.

Eliza November 4, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Aloha HBM ~

A marvelous post today.

My offering for you would be these five:
    Inquisitive – introspective – open – honest – naked

Too hard to create a single word for the diversity we are allowed to be in this present time on the planet.

Blessings always ~
    Eliza
    .-= Eliza´s last blog ..Food for Thought =-.

Her Bad Mother November 4, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Lovely. And yes: one word is too limiting. Thank you for underscoring that.

Alli Worthington November 4, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Frankenvulva?

Ok, seriously- COMPLEX.

You are wonderfully complex.
    .-= Alli Worthington´s last blog ..Recuperating from Bliss =-.

Her Bad Mother November 4, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Oh, but I am so much MORE than my Frankenvulva! /wink

I’ll add ‘complex’ to my core list.

Leslie November 4, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I said this on Twitter, but I’ll post it here for you too. How about Maverick?
    From Dictionary.com: a lone dissenter, as an intellectual, an artist, or a politician, who takes an independent stand apart from his or her associates.

You seem to be leading the way. Unique. An icon.

I think it’s awesome that people dressed up as you at Blissdom Canada. That is amazing.

Her Bad Mother November 4, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Icon? Wow. *blush*

Am so flattered. I wonder though, if I call myself Maverick, mightn’t people mistake me for Tom Cruise? (#bad80shumor)

Leslie November 4, 2010 at 11:03 pm

@Her Bad Mother, It’s time to take that word back from Tom. And you are the one to do it. I bet you could totally rock a bomber jacket.
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Trick or Treat! Halloween- Pumpkin and Fall Photography =-.

Denise November 5, 2010 at 10:27 pm

@Her Bad Mother, Better to be confused with him than Sarah Palin. She seems to have taken over that word.
    .-= Denise´s last blog ..“Oh my god- they found me I dunno how- but they found me” =-.

Her Bad Mother November 6, 2010 at 9:00 am

UGH.

Jen L. November 4, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I haven’t read all the other comments, but my one word for you is…..HARDCORE.
    .-= Jen L.´s last blog ..Check =-.

alicia November 4, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Outdated. I’d prefer to say ‘past her prime’ or ‘yesterday’s news’ but they’re more than #oneword.

Her Bad Mother November 4, 2010 at 8:54 pm

NAH. Say something like ‘mature’ or ‘ripe’ or ‘oldie-but-goody.’

Sara November 4, 2010 at 9:04 pm

As request, my #oneword for you, here instead of twitter :) mold-breaker

Sara November 4, 2010 at 9:05 pm

@Sara, And clearly time for bed. That would be “requested”. G’night.

Loukia November 4, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Hmm. Striking. Powerful. Smart. Sassy = you.
    Me, I am strugging for my word. :(

Selena November 5, 2010 at 12:36 am

#oneword

you: #badass

me: #newkid
    .-= Selena´s last blog ..The Divine Ms M =-.

schmutzie November 5, 2010 at 2:32 am
    daysgoby November 5, 2010 at 10:52 am

For you: Penetrating. (for the way you get people thinking)

and me: Wonder (’cause I do, constantly)
    .-= daysgoby´s last blog ..the sawmill =-.

Saisquoi November 5, 2010 at 10:57 am

I give you VISIONARY as your one word. Actually, my first choice was prophet or prophetic, because prophets come to us to show us where we’ve strayed and help us get back to where we need to go…which you do when you write about the BIG THINGS, the HARD THINGS that make your heart hurt and you tell us how you don’t want to go there, but you HAVE TO.

However, prophet and prophetic can be seen as awfully loaded terms. Visionary I think may be an acceptable substitute.
    .-= Saisquoi´s last blog ..Waiting for Communion =-.

digitalpagan November 5, 2010 at 11:39 am

My #oneword is visceral. Everything about me personality screams visceral. I love, defend, protect, and battle injustices viscerally. All emotion and no reason. It is both my greatest strength and greatest weakness. I will love you (generally not stalkerishly speaking) with wild abandon and blindly, oblivious to the fact that you will hurt me in the end despite your best efforts to warn me it’s coming. I will defend you from everything, including yourself. I will protect you from the dangers unto my last breath. And I will fight injustice at every turn because I am emotionally compelled to do so even as my reason is screaming for me to slow my roll. Okay, tirade over.

For you, dear lady, I believe your #oneword is ‘Real’. You lay bare your soul to us, your readers, with every post. You tell us about your struggles, fears, truimphs, failures, and successes knowing that there is going to be one merkin in the bunch who will hate you for it. That same technicolored merkin will take you to task for being who you are and you will not apologize. You don’t apologize because you are real. Your fear and self doubt is real. Your confusion with your faith, your struggles with your daily life, your love for your friends, it’s all real. Your heartbreak for your sister and Tanner, it’s real. Your ‘realness’ makes us all better people. It makes us accept the ‘real’ us. At least, it makes me accept the real me.

Her Bad Mother November 5, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I love visceral. Your paragraph was visceral. You should carry that around on a card, to remind yourself.

And, real, yeah. Check-marking that.

digitalpagan November 5, 2010 at 11:57 am

And that would be ‘everything about MY personality’ not ME personality. I’m not a pirate, though I do love me rum. ARG!
    .-= digitalpagan´s last blog ..Who Would You Be =-.

Her Bad Mother November 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm

hey, ain’t nothin’ wrong with pirates.

Kristen November 5, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Limit-smasher. (Hyphen to the rescue!)

Your heart, your compassion, and your wit know no bounds.
    .-= Kristen´s last blog ..Friday Link-up- LGBTQ Youth- Paternalism- Motherhood- and Cesarean Sections =-.

MommieV November 5, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I like Bold, from above, for you.

My word would be Strong. It’s what my name means, and it’s me in every different context that I find myself in. Sometimes it just means “I need a strong drink”, and I’m like you in that I want to append it to not sound like I think I’m always strong enough, or whatever. But if I was trapped to one word, that’s what it would be.

GOOD thought.

Denise November 5, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Yours: seeker

Mine: moongazer

Her Bad Mother November 6, 2010 at 9:02 am

Ooh, seeker. While following all of these suggestion I wrote down, at one point, ‘searching’. ‘Seeking,’ ‘seeker’ fit too. Thank you!

(Also, moongazer? LOVE.)

Denise November 7, 2010 at 9:40 pm

@Her Bad Mother, Yes, the impression I get from your writing and your adventures is that you are most definitely a seeker. A seeker of justice, of wisdom, of understanding, of healing, of fulfillment, of connection, of passion, of beauty, of wholeness, of basically ALL GOOD THINGS. I hope you know that by saying you seek them that I am not trying to imply that you don’t already have them to some degree. But, to me, life is about the ongoing pursuit of all of these.

As for me… moongazing and all it entails… yeah, that’s me. It has captivated me for as long as I can remember.

Sarah Kate November 6, 2010 at 1:14 am

Complicated.
    Without a doubt, with a hurrah.

Her Bad Mother November 7, 2010 at 10:49 am

Being able to append a ‘hurrah’ to one’s word is awesome ;)

Sarah Kate November 8, 2010 at 12:55 am