A Portrait Of The Blogger With New Glasses

July 11, 2011

Or, How I Randomly Decided That I Should Orient My Look More Around The Theme Of Elvis Costello:

I just picked them up this morning, and ever since this morning I have been wandering back and forth between my desk and the hall mirror, checking to see whether or not I really hate my face with these sitting on it. In some of those moments, I totally don’t hate my face – I’m all, ooh, funky Ray-Ban cats-eye glasses I AM SO COOL – and in others, I really do kind of hate my face, and also have to resist bursting into the song Alison.

All that said, I always go through a period of face-hating when I get new glasses, and I almost always get over it, mostly. Still. I’m struggling a bit here. You don’t need to tell me if they’re horrible. You do need to tell me if they’re awesome. Even if they’re awesome in a kind of girly Elvis Costello kind of way, which is totally a category of awesome, albeit one that I never thought I’d personally embrace.

(It’s hard to tell from the picture, but they’re kind of tortoise-shell-y brown. They are big, because I thought that I wanted them a little big. ‘Bold,’ I think is the word that I used at the glasses store. ‘Surprising’ is the word that my husband used when he saw them. He wasn’t expecting me to embrace an Elvis Costello look, either.)

Jessica July 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm

You look totally cute. Nothing wrong with the glasses, or the face. Also? It’s good to try something new; how else would we ever know that we DO like girly-Elvis Costello kind of cool?

Amy B July 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Here’s why I like them. There are some things which are flattering, but in a flat, uninteresting sort of way. And then there are things which are flattering in a way that conveys STYLE. Sometimes those latter things are surprising, sometimes it takes a while to get used to them. But STYLE is definitely preferable to SAFE. And these glasses have STYLE!!!

(I just went through the same thing with my hair. I had medium length hair that I usually wore in a ponytail. Yeah, it was flattering and looked good I suppose, but it lacked any style at all. So I took the plunge and got a pixie cut. I almost had an emotional breakdown in the process, and I have gotten some surprised reactions, but for the first time in my life I have hair that has style!)

Karianna July 11, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Absolutely beautiful. I love this look, and it definitely works for you.

Sara Hamil July 11, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Personally, I think they’re SO you. I love them in general but I definitely think they look great on you. No sugar-coating. Just facts.

duchessbelle July 11, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Love them! Most definitely awesome.

ru July 11, 2011 at 3:06 pm

my first reaction? Whoa!!
    then i scrolled down the page, read some, came back to the pic.
    second reaction? Costello-y…
    then i did the scroll thing again, came back.

final assessment – they rock. keep them.

Brian D. Shelton July 11, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Catherine, Elvis Costello? I don’t know… I immediately thought you stole a photo of @lisaloeb4real. ;-)

Leslie July 11, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Cute definitely. period.

Redneck Mommy July 11, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I covet. Love.

*But I could totally picture K’s reaction. And that made me giggle.*

Rock those specs proudly.

Reid July 11, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I think they look great. In fact, I want them. Can you tell what brand and model they are, or are you afraid you’ll confront a bunch of would-be style clones at BlogHer (where I’m not going, if that’s any encouragement)?

Sara July 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I love the whole look from the glasses to the longer hair. This will probably sound like a backhanded compliment, which is not my intent, but I don’t know how else to say it…you look younger, fresher somehow. I am trying to be complimentary. Forgive my foot-in-mouth disease. :)

Tracey July 11, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Love them. I think they are a great statement and work perfectly for you, your personality and your online brand. And for the record you look much hotter than Elvis Costello.

Michelle M. July 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm

LOVE both the hair and the glasses. Beautiful and quirky and interesting and unique. Faboo!

Heather July 11, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Oh, yeah — now I know what my next pair of glasses will look like! I was trying to figure out how to get big glasses without looking ’80s. (I hate having to tip my head every which way to see something other than right in front of me.) Now, I know — go ’50s!

kelly @kellynaturally July 11, 2011 at 4:46 pm

The glasses are cool, no doubt (even though I’ve never liked Elvis, for shame, I know. I’m more of a Morrissey type when it comes to aging British rockers.).

I AM loving your hair – the length & wave is very becoming. But I think the glasses are a bit too big for your face.

The color is hip. Cats eye, YEAH, but overall a bit on the large side, such that you see glasses instead of your eyes (which are a good feature of yours!)

Deb Rox July 11, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Seriously hot.

Anthony from CharismaticKid July 11, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Isn’t it funny how big dumb glasses instantly make anyone look cooler?

KG July 11, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I think they’re great!

monstergirlee July 11, 2011 at 7:28 pm

These are my new glasses – any wonder I like yours? Actually I do like yours better, so very cute!

Miss Marina Star July 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I can’t say anything bad about the glasses. Nor the excellent Elvis Costello reference to Allison – one of my favorite songs ever!

moosh in indy. July 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm

yep. i’d do ya.

Angella July 11, 2011 at 11:25 pm

You = adorable.

jaelithe July 12, 2011 at 1:09 am

They make you look younger. And since you already looked 30, that means under 30. Go for it.

Anyway, as a fellow sporter of specs, I have come to the conclusion that life is too short to worry about whether your glasses “surprise” your husband. Shouldn’t he care more about what you look like with them off, anyway?

Melise July 12, 2011 at 9:56 am

I think they are fab…M

Marian July 12, 2011 at 11:49 am

You look great.

Mandy July 12, 2011 at 12:19 pm

They look great!

Tina C. July 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm

i think it’s good and correct to have several pairs of glasses of different sorts and styles. they are a fashion accessory.

Philips July 13, 2011 at 3:07 am

Your taste for stylish eyeglasses can be compared with Costello’s. If you allowed me to comment on it being horrible, I would still say it is awesome.

reedsandstrings July 13, 2011 at 10:48 am

I don’t know about anyone else, but I think they are fantastic. The impression I get is of a fun, funky, confident woman. I know that doesn’t always fit how you feel, but none of us feels that way all the time. And maybe on a rough day, they’ll help you feel more fun and confident – you know, the “fake it ’til you make it” principle.

Anne July 13, 2011 at 11:14 am

Okay, now that’s a face I would recognize at the J&J table on a Saturday morning.

Still embarrassed about that…

I love the glasses and wish that was a look I could pull off.

Lorinda Morey July 13, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Wonderful!! You look great! Style, just like a poster above said!

ahdra July 13, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Awesome. Definitely awesome. And the hair? Vintagey and hip and gorgeous. And good grief, you look 26 in that picture.

Lisa July 13, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Love them, love your hair, love the whole look.

Especially that I can SEE you. :-)

Alligator July 16, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Well I have to comment on “Bold”. it brings me back to a colleaugue who was a saying….(for background, our company’s motto is that we are “Bold”) and so he says: You know what “Bold” is right? “Bold” is *this far* (holding thumb and index finger very close together) to the left of f*cking crazy….and so now and forever, every time I hear the word bold, I think of that….and i mean this totally as a compliment, because really, isn’t that what bold is? you take a big risk and if it works out, people say ‘oh that’s bold’ and so brave, rah rah…. but if you take the big risk and fail, people are like ‘what were you thinking, that’s crazy!’… and we’re always flirting with that line. you want to go right up to, but stay just *this far* to the left of crazy… right? which is all to say, I like them! I think you’ve acheived bold! :) (on the glasses and in general…:)

Amanda Brown July 16, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I dig ‘em!

LW July 18, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Love them!

SPEEDbit July 20, 2011 at 10:24 am

Glasses look really great on you! These match your face so well. Great choice!!

Lauren July 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm

The nice thing about glasses is you can have different pairs for different reasons.

Desiree July 30, 2011 at 7:09 pm

LOVE. (That’s all I’m gonna say ’bout that.)

{ 1 trackback }