A Pinterest Board Is A Dream Your Heart Makes, A Dream That Very Probably Doesn’t Come True

July 26, 2012

So, we bought a house. I bought a house. In America.

It’s not the first house that we’ve owned, although it does represent a lot of other firsts – not least, first house in a foreign country, which is freighted with so much of its own weirdness (all good weirdness, but still) – and so it feels somehow inaugural, you know? I bought this. And I bought it here. Which means that we’re staying here, for a while. It means that we’re rooted.

It also means that I now feel that I have to deliver on all the Pinterest promises that I’ve made to myself about this house.

The images and text might be too small to see here (the original board is – wait for it – ON PINTEREST) but for what it’s worth, based on this board I seem to have planned a natural pool with floating walkway, a writing cabin, a playhouse, a guest house, an attic nook, a nap swing, an outdoor workspace and a zip line. Oh, and a perfectly executed all-white country kitchen with chandelier. Which, you know, I am not one-hundred percent sure that I can execute with my limited design skills and resources from the nearest Home Depot.

This was all fine when my pin board was strictly a matter of fantasy. Now that I have the opportunity to make them a reality I am gripped with Pinterest anxiety and insecurity (Pinsecurity? Pinxiety?) because, hell. HOW’M I GOING TO BUILD THAT ZIPLINE? It’s not like I can just NOT build a zip line. I PIN-PLANNED it. It is part of the Pinterest Dream that I took steps to make real by MAKING A PIN BOARD ABOUT IT. If I fail to deliver on the one Pinterest board that actually has real-life applications, WHAT KIND OF WOMAN AM I?

Anyway. We’ll see. I’m going to try to make that zip line happen. And that writing cabin, and that playhouse, and that nap swing. Certainly that all-white kitchen with chandelier. And maybe it’s going to be a stupid hot mess, and end up a jumble sale tableaux with IKEA discount backfill. Who knows. I will TRY.

And regardless of how it turns out, it will still my house (which is adorable, by the way, all on its own, on a pretty little acre with a big old-fashioned garage and a pond and wisteria and an old stone wall running all the way around). Our house. Our root here. Our place.

And that’s quite something in itself.

You see how this post is on my Intel Digital Life page? That’s because I wrote it with my Intel hat on, which is totally a little foil beanie that receives satellite transmissions from the galaxy of AWESOME. Or something. Anyway, it’s part of the series that you see here, on this humble page, about living la vida digital, which is also part of this whole storytelling exercise over here, on Facebook. You should check it out.

Rhana @ Dumb {Squared} July 26, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Congrats on YOUR house. If you do make that zipline, I am definitely moving in with you guys. Or maybe I can just live in a tent outside.

Hannah July 26, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I’m pinning this post.
    I love pinterest, but it makes for a lot of anxiety..
    ox

Rebecca July 27, 2012 at 12:20 am

Hey, that’s pretty huge. Congrats. Though I’m sad to have to stop vicariously living my Brooklyn loft fantasies through you.

Her Bad Mother July 30, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Oh, we’ll still be in NYC. This is our escape house :)

Martha July 27, 2012 at 3:02 am

I finally painted that chalkboard wall this summer…only took me about 500 pins for “inspiration.” Congrats on the home, stone wall sounds so cool!

Hillary July 27, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Congrats! I laughed out loud at this:
    “based on this board I seem to have planned a natural pool with floating walkway, a writing cabin, a playhouse, a guest house, an attic nook, a nap swing, an outdoor workspace and a zip line”
    I love Pinterest. Am obsessed and often find myself tweeting, “If only my house looked like my Pinterest boards.” ;)

Eliana Tardio July 27, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Congratulations!!! I just bought my first house in America too! and I feel just like you! so happy, proud, full of excitement and as you just said rooted to this country! this is an amazing feeling! and I am sure you can make your pins come true :)

kelly @kellynaturally July 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Oh, many congratulations Catherine; how exciting!!

Are you in Jersey? NY? Welcome to the USA! :)

Her Bad Mother July 30, 2012 at 9:33 pm

NYC (this house is in the Catskills, tho :) )

Stephenie July 28, 2012 at 10:24 am

So funny. Pinterest IS a great place to fantasize, but I, too, have reached the conclusion that my house (my food, my crafts, my yard, etc. etc. ) will NEVER live up to my Pinterest board. And that is Okay. Congrats on home ownership!!

Christine @ Quasi Agitato July 30, 2012 at 8:53 am

Aaaaaaah. It looks so peaceful there. Congratulations.

Angella July 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Oh, so excited for you, friend. xoxo

Maggie S. July 30, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Looks like a cozy place already. Can friends sit around and sip a drink until 2 a.m.? Sounds beautiful. Pin it.

MommyPage July 31, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I agree, this is true. I still love looking at all the pictures on Pinterest though. It’s fun to look at pictures that are your dream house or dream vacation.

{ 2 trackbacks }