And Her Heart Grew Three Sizes That Day

July 5, 2010

This weekend, my sister ran in a tutu for Tanner. Afterwards, she wrote this:

Wow. Life is a journey, a path that has been laid before us – to help us learn, love and grow. To push ourselves and just HAVE FAITH. In life and each other. I will readily admit, sometimes my faith falters… I think it does for everybody. Some days I am brought to my knees by grief. NOT because I feel sorry for myself or wish for a different life, but simply because I look at my kids and my heart swells and breaks at the same time. And I know many many parents face this and probably much worse than I do. I have the time. I can clockwatch, as my sister says. Though it may seem torturous, and some days it is, I am blessed with knowing now that life is moments. The here and now, not yesterday and not tomorrow. We have to cherish each and every breath we take. I have been taught that and have been blessed to make EVERY moment that I can of Tanner’s life be memorable and meaningful. I have at least that time for now.

tutus-for-tanner-run
Today was so meaningful – to see my best friends and complete strangers donning a tutu for a child they do not know, to lend support and compassion – not just for Tanner but for all the boys affected by this, for the sheer strength it takes for them to get through their days, and to remain so happy and to accept their path with such grace and dignity. I was crying a bit on the run… because I was completely overwhelmed by the kindness and goodness of peoples’ hearts. Even the people on the sidelines yelling my name in support of Tanner and the tutu overwhelmed me. And how can I even begin to voice how my heart felt as Tanner crossed the finish after the 5k – holding my hand – to all the cheers for him! My heart grew 3 sizes today – and I didn’t think it could grow anymore!

In about five weeks, she’ll do it again. In New York. At BlogHer. With Tanner. Because – and I’m totally going to spell this out, because it is such a wonderful thing that I whisper it to myself over and over and over again and it feels good to say it out loud – she and Tanner are coming to BlogHer. And she’ll don a tutu, again, and so will I, and she and I and a troop of tutu-wearing friends will run and we will bear Tanner on a tide of tulle-frilled awesome and our hearts will swell together.

And if we cry together, well, don’t say that I didn’t warn you.

(If you’re coming to BlogHer, please come run with us. How often to you get to hit the streets of New York in a tutu? And for a good cause? Never, that’s how often. So. DO THIS. Or! If you’re not coming to BlogHer, just wear a tutu sometime that weekend, to run or to walk or to do anything – shopping for groceries, grilling hotdogs, hitting the pool – in a demonstration of solidarity with these muscular, swelling hearts. And send me a link to the pics if you do.)

(You in?)

TheKitchenWitch July 5, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I’m in! With tutu! My body doesn’t really RUN, but I’ll wog my 5K. What an awesome idea!
    .-= TheKitchenWitch´s last blog ..A summer tradition- Breakfast Popsicles =-.

Catherine July 6, 2010 at 8:34 pm

@TheKitchenWitch, ‘wog’? as in. walk/jog? ;)
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..And Her Heart Grew Three Sizes That Day =-.

Julie @ The Mom Slant July 5, 2010 at 2:06 pm

This is just so wonderful. An extra-special reason to be excited for BlogHer.
    .-= Julie @ The Mom Slant´s last blog ..Good without God =-.

carrie anne July 5, 2010 at 2:14 pm

What a wonderful idea though I’m not a runner. I’m off to rummage through my daughter’s dress-up box to see if I can find a tutu to squeeze into my luggage.
    .-= carrie anne´s last blog ..Summer Camp makes Me Sad =-.

Her Bad Mother July 5, 2010 at 5:27 pm

They’re so easy to make! At the shredheads site – link above – there’s a link to a how-to (at Design Mom’s site)

Redneck Mommy July 5, 2010 at 2:16 pm

And now? I’m officially sad I will not be attending Blogher. Please kiss Tanner for me and pinch Chrissie’s are for me. With love.

I’ll wear a tutu that weekend and know that I’m with you all in spirit. Heck, I’ll even slap one on the Jumbster. He’s already gender confused thanks to his hair and he’s always up for a good time.

Xo
    .-= Redneck Mommy´s last blog ..Beavers and Beer- oh my- =-.

Her Bad Mother July 5, 2010 at 5:26 pm

You get the Redneck Family in tutus and I’ll flash the pictures at everybody on the morning of. YOU BETCHA.

IzzyMom July 5, 2010 at 3:10 pm

This is beautiful, C. I wish I could run with you all in NYC but sadly, I cannot run at all after birthing my second-born. Well, not without a freaking diaper of some kind… What can I do to help that doesn’t involve stress incontinence products?
    .-= IzzyMom´s last blog ..BULLETIN- The BP Oil Spill is Your Problem- Too =-.

Her Bad Mother July 5, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Walking! You can walk! I think that quite a few people might be walking. Also? ROLLER SKATES.

Bryony Boxer July 5, 2010 at 5:34 pm

You are amazing.
    .-= Bryony Boxer´s last blog ..Links We Love- June 2010 =-.

Christina July 5, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I’m totally in. I’ve made a tutu for Cordy before, and now am working on one for myself. They’re so easy to make! If anyone else needs help with getting a tutu made, let me know!
    .-= Christina´s last blog ..Local- Healthy- Yummy =-.

JIll @BabyRabies July 5, 2010 at 7:45 pm

You know, I was contemplating the run, but then gave myself a pass because I’ll be 5 months pregnant and exhausted and big and, just…. yeah… pregnant. But, that’s sort of lame, and I think I need to just suck it up because this? This tutu run of love? Awesome. I can walk, right? People can just roll me across the finish line like the Oompa Loompas did with Violet.
    .-= JIll @BabyRabies´s last blog ..Because I Can- or More Fun With BBQ =-.

Emily July 5, 2010 at 7:59 pm

OMG – I had already signed up for the 5k and started our tutus but I had NO idea Tanner and your lovely sis would be there. How truly fantastic and squeeeeeeee – I simply can’t wait!

Jeannine July 5, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Very disappointed to miss BlogHer this year but will don my tutu in LA at Press Tour. I will be there in spirit with you, your sister and Tanner and cheering all the way!!! xoxo

Catherine July 6, 2010 at 8:35 pm

@Jeannine, HOORAY FOR TUTUS!!! can’t wait to see pictures of you tutu-ing it up at the Press Tour ;)

xoxo
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..And Her Heart Grew Three Sizes That Day =-.

Kelly July 5, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I’m so in. I need to figure out how to make a tutu, and how to run a 5k, but it’s worth it.

Her Bad Mother July 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm

There’s a link at the Shredheads site (linked in the post) to a how-to. Also, Christine mentioned above that she’d help anyone who needed help. (It’s really easy – I’m told ;) )

Naomi July 5, 2010 at 9:37 pm

If I make it to BlogHer, I’ll be there with fluffy nethers.
    .-= Naomi´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday- Up Close =-.

Her Bad Mother July 5, 2010 at 9:56 pm

you have to come so that we can shout FLUFFY NETHERS! FLUFFY NETHERS! together.

Cristie July 5, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I’m in because you told me it was ok to mosey. So mosey I will and I can’t believe we get Tanner there in person!! What an added bonus. Whee!!
    .-= Cristie´s last blog ..If only we knew you better- what more could we be =-.

Maggie May July 5, 2010 at 11:30 pm

i tell you what…if i wasn’t too pregnant and too poor to go to BlogHer, i’d be there with bells- and tutu- on.

Her Bad Mother July 6, 2010 at 4:24 pm

wear your tutu at home! and take pics! and we’ll share them all! TUTUS ACROSS NORTH AMERICA!

TONYA July 6, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I’ll be running (well walking, crawling, limping, hobbling …) and of course I’ll be wearing my tutu for Tanner.
    .-= TONYA´s last blog ..RED- WHITE -amp BLUE =-.

Mom101 July 6, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I can’t run…but I can cheer. Really loud. I can also wear a tutu with the best of them.

This is some of the nicest news I’ve heard all day. Can’t wait to hug your sister and your gorgeous nephew.

Her Bad Mother July 6, 2010 at 4:23 pm

you can walk with me and Tanner?
    ;)

Meg July 6, 2010 at 8:05 pm

This is the first time I’ve been really, truly sad that I can’t be a BlogHer this year. You can bet your ass that I’ll be hanging out in Oklahoma in my tutu, though. Can’t wait to hear all about it!
    .-= Meg´s last blog ..Cast Your Stones =-.

Catherine July 6, 2010 at 9:06 pm

@Meg, if you hang out in a tutu, send me pic! or post it and send me the link! PRETTY PLEASE.
    .-= Catherine´s last blog ..And Her Heart Grew Three Sizes That Day =-.

Another Suburban Mom July 6, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I will not be able to go to blogher as its my son’s birthday, but I will be rooting for you all in your tutu’s.

God bless.
    .-= Another Suburban Mom´s last blog ..Ask The HR Chick- The Tricky Question =-.

Carissa July 14, 2010 at 5:28 pm

So… I’m in. Got my time and everything.. ahem.. except for the tutu… what/where/how do I get a dang tutu!!?? HELP!!!

Her Bad Mother July 15, 2010 at 10:05 am

Yay! At the website for the run (linked above) there’s a link to the Shredheads site, which itself has a link to a page with a tutu-making how-to.

Or, just google ‘how to make a tutu’. It’s very easy – just tying strips of tulle together, basically ;)

Kiki July 15, 2010 at 7:07 am

Hi! I’m not a native English speaker and I don’t get the meaning of “Her heart grew three sizes that day”. Could anyone tell me what it means please? Thank you.

Her Bad Mother July 15, 2010 at 10:05 am

It’s a reference to Dr Seuss ;)

Kiki July 15, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Thank you! So it’s about getting generous, right?

Pettidresses July 17, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Walk or Run? The experience will be awesome.

{ 4 trackbacks }