Down This Long Distance Line

January 29, 2013

I’ve been away from kids for over a week now, and I miss them. I miss them something fierce. I miss their little hands and their little arms and their sweet little faces and their sweet little voices telling me that they love me.

And then I pull up pictures of last weekend and I take a moment to appreciate the absence of their little brand of crazy.

No, really, I do miss them.

I just don’t miss that. Does that make me terrible?

Kristen January 29, 2013 at 3:44 pm

NOPE. It just means you contain multitudes, like the rest of us parents. You’re just honest and open about those multitudes, and it makes the rest of us also feel less alone in our…multitudinalness. Ahem.

Selfish Mom January 29, 2013 at 3:59 pm

It makes you normal. It’s like those people who tell you you should cherish every moment. Really? Even the moments when I want to drop-kick them? Kids can be awesome, and they can be monsters. They’re geniuses at balancing the two in just the right way so that the awesome outweighs the monster by just enough.

Eliana Tardio January 29, 2013 at 6:58 pm

she looks so much like you :)

Her Bad Mother January 29, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I imagine that I do look like that when I’m pounding on someone ;)

Nikki Mohamed January 30, 2013 at 8:00 am

I think there is something in the air/water supply. We just went through this (and more) a few days ago. Check our a nearly verbatim conversation between me and my sister via text while it was going on. I’m thinking that my MOTY award application has been tossed into the shredder by now.

Susan Kolb January 30, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Whew! Blog your little heart out now, mama. I don’t know if you’ll have the energy when she’s fifteen.

Lorraine C Ladish January 30, 2013 at 9:16 pm

LOL. I feel the same way when I’m away from my kids.

Jeannette January 30, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Of course it doesn’t make you a terrible person. You can’t assume you have to enjoy every single thing about motherhood/parenting. Of course you love and miss your kids. That’s a given. But there are always things you won’t be so crazy about, or to say the least, that will drive you mad. Bickering and whining will do that to me. I definitely don’t miss that when I am away from them.

Karen Sugarpants January 30, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Heck no. I leave for school walking on air! All good.

Nicole Presley January 30, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I thought I was the only one who snapped photos when my child is acting naughty. Glad to see I’m in good company. :)

beth blecherman January 30, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I am coming back from a three day trip and I also miss my three boys so much.. And when I first come back I love to get their big hugs and feel so happy.. Then when they run after each other to wrestle instead of going to sleep (with lots of boy grunting and screaming) and I feel that wildness – I appreciate the quiet of a business trip.. So we all feel that way!

Yolanda January 31, 2013 at 1:57 am

I always miss my girl terribly by day two. The few hours after I get home is bliss…and then, well, then I wonder when my next trip is. It’s called being human :)

Amanda January 31, 2013 at 5:31 am

Yeah, sometimes you just want to be free and alone (if you are being asked everyday about everything by your children). However, when you leave them, you feel MUCH painful (and lonely). I was always in that mood when I have to travel for work. My only wish is that I could beside my children everyday and everywhere :)

@Mandi411 January 31, 2013 at 3:48 pm

The old saying, “absence makes the heart grow fonder” is sad in some ways, but oh so true.

Gabriel February 2, 2013 at 10:51 pm

When everything is in front you naturally tend not to appreciate it so much until it is no more then you suddenly grasp the importance.Post Jobs, rent and real estate for free online http://www.planetadvert.com

Nicole Robinson @TheBookWormMama February 5, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I love this picture. And I love my daughter’s special brand of crazy, but mama needs a break every now and again. I don’t think that makes us terrible. I’m pretty sure it makes us wise.

Heather of Put That on Your Blog February 11, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I was trying to explain this phenomenon just yesterday. Admitting that you don’t love absolutely every single moment of mothering doesn’t mean you don’t love your kids or that either of you has failed.

I think we have a lot easier time admitting that we love our husbands but we still need girl time or that some of the things they do drive us 100% Loraina Bobbit crazy face without worrying that that means we’re bad wives and lovers.

It’s even true of ourselves. I love me, sure, even though some of the things I do drive me 100% Loraina Bobbit crazy face. It’s only natural. :)