When Bad Things Happen To Good Dolls

February 1, 2007

**Because appending notes to old posts is easier than writing new ones… post-script added below…

I was greeted, when I returned home from teaching yesterday, by this apparition: WonderBaby’s Holly Hobby doll (a gift from her bad grandma), strapped into a toy stroller and decked out in do-rag and bling (and yes, one mitten and one evening glove. It’s cold out, you know.)

This, WonderBaby’s caregiver informed me, was entirely the work of WonderBaby: she strapped Holly (Puff Holly? P-Holl?) into the stroller, she placed the bling around her neck, she put the mitt and glove on, and (this is, I feel, the most staggering thing) she fashioned the do-rag.

She Bratzed her Holly Hobby, and I, for one, am reeling from the irony.

******

Late-breaking edit – so, you know how I made a point of shunning the big blog awards last fall? This award is different… about as inclusive as you can get and still call it an award. Mom-101 nominated me for Most Thought-Provoking, which was just so flattering, because I really should be up for Most Neurotic, and/or Most Likely To Use Unnecessarily Big Words, but those weren’t categories, so, um, anyway… SHARE THE LOVE.

Oh, and speaking about sharing the love, think about visiting the Basement, if you haven’t been by lately…

Mimi February 1, 2007 at 11:31 am

Ha! I’m actually snorting for-here-grande-nonfat-latte out my nose. I’ve been obsessing all day over your post and all the links from Tuesday and getting all angsty and waffling between relativism and judgment and trying to find a middle path and not wanting to offend anybody and be true to my own (judgmental) ideals and wondering whether to blog it and how and

now a be-blinged ‘Holly-Ho’

Teehee. What’s really wonderful is WonderBaby’s timely reminder to us all that, really, our children are their own little selves, not carrying (for now) the baggage we carry, the weight of intellectualizing everything, full of their own ideas, personalities, games, and such. And they are perversely naively joyful in spite of all our earnestness and handwringing.

It does the heart glad.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m all for intellectualizing, for handwringing and for earnestness. It’s my way. And so I worry about what happens to daughters with tacky dolls, with mothers who drink or not. The worrying and earnestness is my job — the playing and innocence is Miss Baby’s.

I guess sometimes, when this joy is at odds with our worries, we can’t do much but let the weight lift and indulge in a good (if a little bit ironic) laughing fit.

:-)

chelle February 1, 2007 at 11:53 am

That is a lot of creativity in dressing that doll!

k February 1, 2007 at 12:05 pm

i swear. no matter how hard you try. it’s in their blood.

q informed me yesterday that she’s having a princess party.

so i told her, let’s make it a costume party.

if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em, I guess.

Julie Pippert February 1, 2007 at 12:46 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAHA That’s too funny. They can be such entertainment.

Holly-from-the-block

Mine have a Barbie-n-Dolly Nudist Camp.

Always naked.

However, the stuffed animals are always decked to the nines.

Janet a.k.a. "Wonder Mom" February 1, 2007 at 1:21 pm

Holly-Ho-B

I love it.

All she needs is a diamond grill for her yap….tee hee hee

ru February 1, 2007 at 1:31 pm

i can only hope that once my son is old enough to carry around his lil peanut my-first-doll in his mini-moby-wrap that i am sure we are destined to buy for him (because what boy does not want to be just like both his moms), that he will so bedeck his baby!

and thanks for dropping by via blogwhore! amazing how one woman in rural wisconsin can bring so many people together!

Mrs. Chicky February 1, 2007 at 1:51 pm

I guess nature is kicking nurture’s ass, eh?

Personally, I think she looks fabulous.

gingajoy February 1, 2007 at 2:38 pm

i think you need to worry if she acquires fake boobies, an eating disorder, and a shopping addiction. who doesn’t love a bit of bling and an evening glove?

Oh, The Joys February 1, 2007 at 3:07 pm

I think that’s the lesser known “Holly Hoochie.”

Melissa February 1, 2007 at 3:13 pm

This is why I gave into the Bratz/Barbie phase. It’s in them to love it. I figure if I buy the freaking dolls and teach them what is right in the world, I’m still doing okay. Truth is, I had Barbies too and I turned out just fine.

I love the two different gloves and the do-rag. WB is down with the Hollyzizzle. ;)

The Flip Flop Mamma! February 1, 2007 at 3:38 pm

Oh how stinkin’ cute!! She’s definatly girlie girl, huh? It’s in our nature to take the plain janes, and bling them out!!

Christina February 1, 2007 at 3:46 pm

I guess she thought Holly was too frumpy and needed a little fashion advice.

You can’t win with these kinds of things, can you? I’m lucky that so far the only thing Cordy does with dolls is put cups on their heads for hats. But I know I could get blindsided by a Princess fetish at any moment, and I try to keep myself ready for it.

Lara February 1, 2007 at 3:57 pm

omg, that’s, like, the exact outfit i wore out last saturday night! totally awesome! she looks, like, soooo hot! ;)

Beck February 1, 2007 at 4:00 pm

Holly looks rather regal, I think. Sort of like if the Queen Mother got a bit too tipsy.
    Little girls DO like the shiny. We have managed to avoid Bratz, but have a whole brothel worth of Barbies lounging about.

Karen February 1, 2007 at 4:03 pm

that’s the cutest, ever – and by the way – crazy fine motor skills on your Wonderbaby there!

crazymumma February 1, 2007 at 6:28 pm

Whoa….bling never looked so good. Holly needed a makeover anyway and a bit of Janice Joplin/Macy Gray/Glam Rock looks fine on her.

Cool stylin’s… I think Wonderbaby has graduated to Wonderchick.

something blue February 1, 2007 at 6:50 pm

Holly needed a makeover! She looks fabulous. Much better than the dolls in our house which are always naked. The tramps!

Chicagoland Mamacita! February 1, 2007 at 6:55 pm

Hilarious! I’m laughing out loud in a very serious office…

ewe are here February 1, 2007 at 7:39 pm

hahahahaha

You’ve got to admit, your girl has a fun sense of style!

Lisa b February 1, 2007 at 7:50 pm

Yo Holly. I like the gold glove.
    Nice work wonderbaby.

julia February 1, 2007 at 8:06 pm

That’s one bad baby doll.

TB February 1, 2007 at 8:12 pm

Perhaps it’s time to cut way back on Wonderbaby’s MTV and Vh1 consumption ;o)

MotherBumper February 1, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Definitely P-Holl.

Or maybe P-Hiddy.

The do-rag is unbelievable. Bravo WB.

Jenn February 1, 2007 at 10:53 pm

lol – she is brilliant! watch out Project Runway!

nomotherearth February 1, 2007 at 11:28 pm

Now that’s style. WonderBaby is gonna be a fashion icon some day. If she does, I would totally put this image on her calling card.

Mitch McDad February 2, 2007 at 12:33 am

It’s always important to accessorize.

jen February 2, 2007 at 1:06 am

a girl with style. i love a girl with style. and a good do-rag.

Gidge February 2, 2007 at 1:09 am

Bettah not let that doll roll in the wrong neighborhood sportin’ her colors like that.
    They’ll pop a cap in her ass.
    I think it’s Holly Hobizzy, by the way.
    At least that’s what my inner gangsta tells me.

whymommy February 2, 2007 at 2:06 am

Looovely. Perhaps Wonder Baby and my little Widget would like to terrorize the accessories aisle together. Widget (boy, age 2) picked out a looovely little pair of pink princess sunglasses at the CVS tonight. I started to steer him to the blue pair, but he would have none of it. And why should he? There were dozens of pink flowery glasses with rose-colored lenses. One stinkin’ blue pair and a gray. At least the kid’s got taste. Can we chalk both experiences up to … creativity?

Her Bad Mother February 2, 2007 at 9:15 am

Holly Ho-B and Holly Hobizzle get my vote for her new street name, fo-shizzle.

Lizzy February 2, 2007 at 9:27 am

I haven’t seen a Holly Hobby doll in, geepers, like 25 years.
    When I was a kid EVERYTHING I owned was Holly Hobby: sheets, bedspread, curtains, dresses, throw rug, shower curtain…UNDERPANTS!
    Holly Ho-B…I snarfed my coffee!
    WonderBaby needs to be on the next Project Runway! Cuz that? Is some stylin’!

PunditMom February 2, 2007 at 11:06 am

Go, Holly. Go, Holly.

The gloves are FAB!

mamatulip February 2, 2007 at 11:54 am

Bwahahaha. I love the irony too.

Kristen February 2, 2007 at 4:55 pm

I love it! We have that SAME stroller, and Leah loves to put her Glinda the good witch piggy bank and drive her around.

Jezer February 2, 2007 at 9:50 pm

I STILL have my Holly Hobby sleeping bag.

I’m glad to see that WB at least had the sense of mind to strap lil’ Ho-B into her stroller.

And here, I want to make a witty comment about the way she rolls, but I’m too tired.

BTW, wow and thank you for the STL nom. You rock, bad friend.

Mom101 February 2, 2007 at 10:45 pm

I’m trying to think of something to say here but I can’t. I’m paralyzed by your provocative thoughts.

mothergoosemouse February 2, 2007 at 11:02 pm

Would WonderBaby be willing to give me some fashion advice?

wordgirl February 3, 2007 at 12:10 am

That doll is trying to tell me something…I just KNOW it.

Kyla February 4, 2007 at 1:39 pm

I think she more gypsied it up than Bratzed it up. Because she doesn’t look like a prostitute, and really that is the gold standard in deciding if something looks Bratz-y. You ask yourself, “Could I imagine this toy standing on the street corner in that bad parts of town catcalling to men?” If you answer “Yes.” then it is Bratz-y. If you answer “No.” you are safe. *lol*

Izzy February 4, 2007 at 11:07 pm

Awww…I love Holly Hobbie. I didn’t know they made her anymore.