Potty On

September 18, 2007

This morning, Wonderbaby tugged on my arm as I lay on the sofa, sniffling and coughing and muttering softly about the evil of Bill Maher and of viruses in general. She tugged on my arm, and said, potty. Pee-pee. Go potty.

Potty?

Potty.

And so I dragged myself out from under the covers, and took her by the hand, and – asking, all the way, are you sure? you want the potty? – pulled out the little green Boon Potty Bench that we had tucked away for the toilet training that we felt sure wouldn’t begin until she was two, and I helped her unlatched her diaper, and she sat her little round bottom upon the seat, and she tinkled.

And then she asked for her sunglasses, which I fetched, and she put them on. And then she tinkled some more.

And then she asked for paper, and I helped her dab her parts, and then we tossed the paper in the toilet, and we washed our hands. Then we went back downstairs and I took some more Tylenol and crawled back under the covers on the sofa and thought, what the f*ck just happened?

I considered the possibility that I’d dreamt it, or that it was an hallucination induced by the cocktail of Neo Citran and Tylenol that I’ve been taking – the sunglasses were, I thought, a particularly fantastical detail – but then I checked my camera:

I must leave the bathroom door open a LOT.

dana September 18, 2007 at 10:55 am

Wow! I am impressed! Dawson just turned three and he refuses to go on the potty unless I beg him and bribe him!

Wonderbaby is so smart!

nomotherearth September 18, 2007 at 10:59 am

Hey – we bought the exact same potty bench!

Congrats to WB! The Boy is, I’m sure, going to reach the ripe old age of 3 and never touch the fashionable green potty.

PunditMom September 18, 2007 at 11:18 am

Amazing! PunditGirl didn’t get it until she was 3! Feel better. Maybe you should wear those glasses!

b*babbler September 18, 2007 at 11:36 am

I’m so impressed. Way to go Wonderbaby!

And good timing too, eh? A little bit of happiness in the middle of the sick for mommy.

Avalon September 18, 2007 at 11:51 am

Go WB!!! Good girl. Now, could you get her a stack of trashy Hollywood magazines to read while she’s sitting?

Awesome Mom September 18, 2007 at 12:14 pm

That is amazing!!! I am green with envy right now.

slouching mom September 18, 2007 at 12:20 pm

She is on top of things, that WB.

And my goodness, that photo just ROCKS.

Phoenix September 18, 2007 at 12:22 pm

She’s potty training herself. That’s awesome.

Even in a daze, you take great pictures.

mamatulip September 18, 2007 at 12:40 pm

She and Oliver would get along just fine…he likes to throw things in the toilet after he’s tinkled, too.

Congrats WonderBaby!! ‘Atta girl!

motherbumper September 18, 2007 at 1:08 pm

You go girl (and spread the word to your BumpBud ‘k?). Mom, this means we have got to map out all the clean public bathrooms in the Tdot ASAP (is clean public bathroom an oxymoron?).

Get better would ya? ;)

Rock the Cradle September 18, 2007 at 1:20 pm

Rock ON Wonderbaby!

We have the exact same potty. Boon has some pretty neat products. Not a lot, but from what I’ve seen, all really well designed.

The Impling is totally into the peeing thang, and will happily empty the basin into the toilet and flush with glee…but forget it for poop. She asks for a diaper.

jen September 18, 2007 at 1:31 pm

Nicely done, WB! I am so impressed. Now let your mama rest, sister…

The City Gal September 18, 2007 at 1:37 pm

Wow! Congratulations! WB rocks!

And the sunglasses, well, a girl has to keep up with fashion, even in the toilet!

m September 18, 2007 at 1:40 pm

Hooray, Wonderbaby! The sunglasses are a sweet touch.

Niksmom September 18, 2007 at 2:01 pm

She’s a superstar! Love the shades!

Mrs. Chicky September 18, 2007 at 2:02 pm

WhooHoo! Who knew we’d all be so thrilled to hear of someone tinkling with sunglasses on?

kittenpie September 18, 2007 at 2:06 pm

‘Sawesome. Pumpkinpie started about 18 or 20 months, then gave it up for a while. We didn’t push it, knowing she was about to start daycare and one change at a time, I say, and she started again a month or two after turning two. So good.

And that is one cool potty bench!

Christina September 18, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Wow! You’re pretty lucky to get one of the self-trainers when it comes to the potty. Cordy is three on Friday and still just laughs when we ask her if she wants to use the potty.

painted maypole September 18, 2007 at 2:20 pm

i guess wonderbaby kows that big girls get haircuts, that big girls use the potty, and that big girls wear glamorous sunglasses

Nancy September 18, 2007 at 2:20 pm

Count me in the jealous but proud group. Maybe WB can give Rosie a few pointers?

sweetney September 18, 2007 at 2:41 pm

oh that’s awesome. it was TIME, you know? stuff like that doesn’t happen until then, no matter how much we’d like them to.

congrats, lady.

flutter September 18, 2007 at 2:44 pm

Rock on, Wonderbaby!

mothergoosemouse September 18, 2007 at 2:46 pm

That is so cool.

Tacy trained overnight. Like, woke up one morning and announced that she was going to use the potty from now on. Here’s hoping you get so lucky!

Lawyer Mama September 18, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Wow! Big H didn’t get it until he was almost 3 and then he was a bit reluctant. That potty can be scary!

Beck September 18, 2007 at 3:16 pm

I always get to the point where I think my children will be 16 and in diapers and then magically TA DA! they toilet train.
    Good job, Wonder Baby.

Kyla September 18, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Way to go, WB!

When they are ready, they are ready.

The glasses are fantastic!

Karen September 18, 2007 at 3:22 pm

Wonderbaby has a really cool potty! I wonder if they’d let you use that at Applebee’s?

creative-type dad September 18, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Wow! I wear my sunglasses while doing my business too!

Julie Pippert September 18, 2007 at 6:11 pm

Yep, a lot of girls do this. Both of mine did, albeit not straightforward thereafter. (In other words, think of this as the beginning, not the done part LOL.)

Way to go Wonderbaby! Wondergirl??

Julie
    Using My Words

daysgoby September 18, 2007 at 6:12 pm

FANtastic!

Love the photo – very ‘surprised by the paparazzi’ there

Julie Pippert September 18, 2007 at 6:13 pm

P.S. We’re finished with a fold-up portable purse-sized Dora potty seat. Great for those out and about occasions.

P.P.S. I must be the only mean mommy in the world who didn’t get her kids a baby potty. Not even a cool one that sings. I made them climb a stepping stool to the real potty and sit on a seat on that.

My skeeves hit defcon 4 at the idea of cleaning a baby potty and having it in rooms like the living room instead of the bathroom.

Julie
    Using My Words

Kimberly September 18, 2007 at 8:09 pm

Potty on, Dude!

Julie, I’m a toilet mom too. I’m just too lazy to have to bother with cleaning a potty. I tried, but the day it got kicked over onto the rug was the day it went in the garbage and everybody started peeing like a big girl.

(www.parentingwithoutalicense.com

Sarcasta-Mom September 18, 2007 at 8:45 pm

Too cute! No wonder you call her Wonderbaby :)

Veronica Mitchell September 18, 2007 at 9:18 pm

How exciting! And yes, I realize how very much my life has changed when I say that about toilet use but STILL! HOW EXCITING!

Congratulations.

Bill Maher is an idiot. But he inspired my husband to guest post for the first time ever. Also exciting.

Liz September 18, 2007 at 9:48 pm

Oh my heavens, could Wonderbaby please give my sweet baby a phone call and let him know that this is how it shall go down when the time comes?

She’s a keeper, C!

(feel better)

Pgoodness September 18, 2007 at 10:04 pm

Yippeee!! That’s fantastic! Congrats WB!!
    And we love that potty bench in our house. I’m hoping P. will want to use it SOON – we are soooo tired of the diapers!

crazymumma September 18, 2007 at 10:08 pm

A song by Corey Hart is running thru my head.

Wondergirl for sure. Big step!

get better Bad.

Naomi (Urban Mummy) September 18, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Yay! Isn’t it cool when they just “get it”?

Staci Schoff September 18, 2007 at 11:24 pm

I’m very grateful for my boys and never envy people who have girls –EXCEPT during potty training discussions!

mo-wo September 19, 2007 at 1:39 am

Never argue with a toddler out for a whaz.

something blue September 19, 2007 at 2:01 am

She even knows the etiquette of picture taking on the potty. She’s showing exactly the right amount of shoulder.

Yay for the potty skills! I hope you feel better.

jenB September 19, 2007 at 2:53 am

I am also weeping w/ envy as Charlotte has just graduated to wearing underpants…OVER her diaper. Potty? I caaaan’t. She will be 4 in January. I know I know, they all figure it out eventually, but it is really hard to see from here.

Your kid is cute as a freakin’ button and a genius. I personally give her a metaphorical Genius Grant. Ohh! Mom should get credit too.

xo

ewe are here September 19, 2007 at 3:16 am

Oh, you’re so lucky. Girls seem to be so much easier in this regard. I know lots of wee girls who, on their own initial initiative, just like WB, were completely potty trained before the age of 2.

Sigh.

We’re still working on it.

Lady M September 19, 2007 at 5:20 am

Such the life, to have to have photographic evidence to remember things. No really, I hope you feel better soon.

And amazed congratulations on the potty training!

Delilah September 19, 2007 at 7:40 am

I am so impressed and jealous. Potty training has been a nightmare in our house. Congrats to you and Wonderbaby!

BOSSY September 19, 2007 at 7:45 am

Most excellent. Her future’s so bright, she has to wear shades.

Mimi September 19, 2007 at 9:48 am

Oh sweet Jeebus. Look at her. All agape and disheveled and peepeeing. Did she have shoes on? Or was she replaying Britney-at-the-gas-station, in an ironic baby way?

Overthinking it …

Over here, Munchkin peed on her father …

Mrs. Chicken September 19, 2007 at 10:03 am

someone, somewhere, really loves you. because this is an otherwordly gift.

wow. just wow.

Bloor West Mama September 19, 2007 at 12:34 pm

Congrats to WB…hooray hooray. My Isa looks at the potty and runs screaming from the room.

Hope the plague will pass and you will feel better soon:)

Momish September 19, 2007 at 1:37 pm

We are currently in the potty training phase here at chez Momish, so I feel the need to stand up and cheer Wonderbaby! Bravo!

Very impressive, especially when done with such style!