Breck Girls Never Had To Worry About Grabby-Handed Toddlers

September 14, 2010

I really think that I need to get a haircut. I’ve been keeping it longer because I can pull it back and get it out of my face and if there is one place that I do not want my hair, it’s my face, but still, pulling it back does not stop it from getting messy, and also, I have this toddler who has a hair fetish and do you know what is worse than a messy ponytail that is not messy in the fashionable ‘Gisele Bundchen just throws her hair into a messy ponytail’ kind of way? A messy ponytail that is being dismantled, strand by strand, by an aggressive toddler with peanut butter on his fingers.

hair today 027Not shown: messy ponytail, grabby-handed toddler, resentment of Gisele Bundchen.

Then again, every time that I cut my hair, I’m happy about it for, like, three days – it’s so easy! so carefree! – and then I wash it and I have this tangle of super-thick, super-coarse bobbed hair that I can’t pull back and ARGH.

Yeah, so. Should I cut this mess, and if so, should I just go back to my standard bob? Or maybe something like this, which is basically my standard bob, albeit choppier and with streaks of pink, which should never be underestimated as a fashion statement at the playground:

hair misc 004

Yeah. I can’t pull that off. I totally don’t have a feather boa.

Maybe I’ll just cut it all off and color it red. Just to freak you all out.

What do I do? Cut? Don’t cut? Go with the red crew cut? Opinions? PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Lisa September 15, 2010 at 9:26 am

I do think it is time to let go of the bangs, since you’ve never not had bangs.

But more importantly, find a stylist that can cut your hair so that it looks good without a lot of fuss, a cut that works with what your hair wants to do. It may take some looking and asking random women on the street who cuts their hair, but it will be worth it. You might try a stylist who specializes in curly hair – it’s a whole different experience.

I don’t like to spend a lot of time styling my hair, either. God bless my sister in law who brings her curling iron to the beach. The beach house, I should say, not to the actually sandy part. ;-)

I think a more natural color goes with that look. I think obviously colored hair really only compliments a styled look. If you go with a natural cut, stick with a natural looking color.

Her Bad Mother September 15, 2010 at 9:31 am

My hair’s not actually curly, though (SIGH) – it’s wavy and coarse. I’ve had cuts where they try to cut it to emphasize some curl, but it never really works without lots of product and scrunching and coaxing the curls out.

mom2boy September 15, 2010 at 10:53 am

@Her Bad Mother,

I have the same sort of straight top layer, wavy unruly under layer, and layering the two produces results that resemble having my hair run over by a lawnmower. I vote against layers. I vote for shorter bob with side pieces long enough to tuck behind your ears. I think the current color works for you but I’ve never seen the red, so…

Val September 15, 2010 at 9:50 am

I think you need to have layers in your bob. Your hair is wavy/curly/thick, and a bob on its own will give you triangle head. Ask for choppy layers and get it cut just above your shoulders. Gorgeous!

Wendy Armbruster Bell September 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

@Christina – here is a link to the manufacturer’s page with “where to buy” etc… I only use the curl activator.

And you should use a diffuser to dry your hair… just scrunching it (no brushing)….
    .-= Wendy Armbruster Bell´s last blog ..Submit a Retail Lead and Win 100 of Breastfeeding Products =-.

Tina C. September 15, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Get a shag cut. easy to take care of (no hair drying) and such and excellent and inspiring name.

Angella September 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm

As someone with a wild mane that cannot be tamed, and for whom bangs make me look like a deranged poodle, I’m not one to give advice…but I think the bob would look cute. Though I LOVE to be able to pull my hair back.

Torn.
    .-= Angella´s last blog ..I’m So Blue =-.

Her Bad Mother September 15, 2010 at 4:32 pm

yeah, I’m having trouble letting go of the ponytail dream ;)

kittenpie September 15, 2010 at 1:35 pm

As someone with similarly thick, coarse hair that easily goes triangular in a bob, I can tell you that layers make for more volume – not our friend – and that it won’t go all straight and choppy and rock-and-roll like that without LOTS of product and a bit of skill (not possessed by me.) One of my favourite cuts other than a graduated bob has been a short but similar to a pixie but with more length up top to soften it out and bangs just long enough to pin to the side so they don’t go vertical on THOSE days.

Mom is Cranky September 15, 2010 at 2:11 pm

You COULD just go with dreadlocks. I think peanut butter would probably help hold them together rather nicely.
    .-= Mom is Cranky´s last blog ..WRONG! =-.

thais September 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I say slight A-line just off the shoulders with sexy side bangs. It would look good with any color you want to go with. I say keep it blonde with some low lights, red is hard to keep up with. Slik drops after shanpoo, blow out on med heat, run a flat iron throught it you (don’t have to get every strand) a little texture clay on the ends and bangs to tame flyaways and your good to go! Easy busy mom do but looks sleek! Can’t wait to see you new hair!

Micaela September 15, 2010 at 2:21 pm

NO CHANGEE COLOR, ok? I agree with everyone here on “For the love of sweet baby Ganesh, don’t change the color!!”

And a bob with thinned ends. In other words, strategically cut to make your head look like a round bubble (instead of triangle) without having to break out the blow dryer.

Alternately, you look like you have a great head size and shape, you could totally rock the pixie/short crop.

Her Bad Mother September 15, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Yeah, I don’t know if I have the FACE for a pixie cut ;)

Maria September 15, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I think with your eye color, your hair would look very pretty red. But a dark, rich red.
    .-= Maria´s last blog ..Like the First Morn =-.

Suzie September 15, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Hmm.. I guess I would leave it long.. and buy shampoo in bulk :) But I think that’s because it’s what I do..
    .-= Suzie´s last blog ..1980′s Awesome-ness =-.

Laural Dawn September 15, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I love your hair long, but I think side-swept bangs would be cool. And keep growing it!
    I cut my hair into a short bob and I liked it – but I work outside of the home and flat iron it every day so it works. I think bobs are a lot of work OR they get really poofy and look 80′s ish. (or at least mine does and my hair type is like yours – unless I flatiron).
    And … if I had your hair colour I’d go with fun highlights like pink underneath.
    I used to see this mom at the park all the time and she had fuschia hair. It was amazing. But I couldn’t pull it off.
    Or you could go really short – but then the upkeep… pain.
    I vote for grow it and pink :)
    On a sidenote – do you ever flatiron? Not that I think you need to, but seriously, owning a flatiron changed my life. Ummmm … not to be dramatic but it’s true.
    .-= Laural Dawn´s last blog ..My summer vacation =-.

Laura September 15, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I agree with Micaela – take it super short! Pixieish with slightly longer, sideswept bangs would be very flattering, I think.

Cynthia September 15, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I have super curly hair that’s a mess in the mornings, and I live in humidity land (New Orleans). It was depressing me lately to look at my sleep-deprived, messy-maned silhouette in the mirror (my husband’s working out of town for three weeks, my 3-yr-old just started pre-school, and I’m writing a dissertation). So I decided to treat myself to a Brazilian Keratin treatment. I thought I couldn’t afford it, but there is an 8-week express version that some stylists will do that’s much more affordable. It relaxes curly hair, but that’s not why I did it. I did it because my hair was in a rut, and it made it look healthy and shiny. Now I wash and go. Also, I’m a chocolatey brown, and I just went cherry red! HELLO! It feels fabulous. My students gasped when I walked into the room the other day.

I love bobs. The thing is you have to keep them up, and who has time to go to the salon every two months? The key is to find a good stylist that will give you a cut that grows out well. I suggest a long side-swept bang on you with a bob…and consider the keratin treatment.

GingerB September 16, 2010 at 3:28 am

I say layers – only because if I have a straight cut bob with my curky hair I am Triangle Head, and I don’t much like being Triangle Head. I have enjoyed my haircuts that take it up above the ears, but only for a couple months, tops, then it takes two years to get to below the shoulders where i have all the great options: tight buns (HA) messy buns, the up-do (good with tutus) the barettes for just the side pieces, the basic pony, a french braid with a bunch of stickey-outy stuff, and the Elaine from sienfeld top barrette look. And, you can sleep with your hair in a top pony and keep it off your neck.

Go long, Catherine, go long!
    .-= GingerB´s last blog ..Tattoos for the Terrible Twos- like they need more attitude =-.

lizneust September 16, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Can I vote for an interim measure – a french braid. It’s a bit more tailored than the pony tail, it keeps it off your face, gives Jasper a bitty end to play with, and if you want to dress ip up, push the end underneath the braid for instant bun. If you don’t already do it, you’ll have it mastered in a week. Good for Africa, too.

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli September 16, 2010 at 6:25 pm

There’s no right answer, or there’s no happy making answer. Hair that is too short to tie up is too much maintainance and you must wear a hat when unwilling to do said maintenance. Long hair, that can be tied up, is long and heavy.
    The only solution is to be Gisele Bunchen. The rest of us must be content in bob town.

Bush Babe September 16, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Not sure I am the right person to ask – constant hair dilemma of a similar nature (except mine is mostly dark – except at the roots!). I love being able to pull mine all back – don’t forget the extra face-lift bonus of the tight ponytail!

I guess I would NOT vote for cutting it off shorter unless you go ALL THE WAY… a cute pixie crop so you really can do it in 10 seconds before you have to face up to the general public.

:-)
    BB

PS How’s the tummy? Better?
    .-= Bush Babe´s last blog ..The Cool Kids’ Cafe =-.

Judy September 16, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I have hideous hair. Not curly enough to be cute or straight enough to be sleek. Big cowlick at the left rear, and no matter how it’s cut, it goes all over my head. For years I would tell the stylist that my hair was going to look messy no matter what, so cut it messy, okay? And they all laughed and cut it non-messy. About six months ago, maybe more, I don’t know, I just said cut it all off. It’s less than a pixie. It’s like a man’s haircut. About an inch long on top and a quarter inch everywhere else. I make sure they do that quarter inch with scissors, not a buzzer. I absolutely love it. I can spike it on top with mousse or use a curling iron, or I can just wash it, run my fingers through it, and let it dry. Most carefree thing I’ve ever done. It may not be as feminine or attractive as longer hair, but my god, it’s easy.

Dane September 22, 2010 at 5:03 am

Hi there I’m a new Single mom and I know it will be hard for me a long the way so I am browsing the web for some good blogs and I find your blog very interesting and helpful to be a good mother. Bookmarking your blog now. Thanks